Thread: turbo gurus...

Tuner in Training

turbo gurus...

first off new to hp,ls,turbo tuning,etc...been playing with a 89 k5 bone stock 5.3 swap and making it run right....that said my end goal is doing a 2013 6.0 non dod swap add turbo etc...ive been playing with the 5.3 and learning.....been reading to get a feel for a safe initial tune....im not asking for a hand hold just if going in the right direction and or where i need to pay attention thanks in advance
    Attached Files Attached Files

More information please.

What is or isn't this setup running right now?

So like what injectors, what MAP sensor, fuel etc etc.

Are you trying to keep the MAF or do you want to simplify things and delete the MAF to run pure speed density which is far easier on a turbo setup.

The VE needs help. This 2 bar OS has worse resolution compared to stock so I'd suggest you copy the 15-55kpa into the 30-100kpa section on the current VE. Then take the last row of 210 and put 125 in there, highlight 100-210 and click interpolate to build the VE. That will give you a starting point that you'll have to work with.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    General things we would want to know (similar to 5F's requests)
    What style of fuel system do you have? boost referenced or non-referenced?
    What injectors are you using?
    What fuel pressure are you targeting?
    What Map Sensor did you install?

PE settings need some help. in here its not generally recommended to allow PE enabling at any given map and rely solely off of tps. typically set the map value around 75-80 kpa and again 75-80 % tps. PE table is jagged and could be smoothed out. Dont have to command 11.3 afr until you get a significant level of boost. for a junk-yarder around 7psi i would target 11.5 and linearly richen it to 11.3 by 10 until i got a chance to hit the dyno. you can also start BE at around 11.7 under lowest BE cells and taper it into the 11.5 by 7 psi boost range.

your ignition tables shouldnt be blocked out after a certain airflow to command one advance value per rpm. i suggest working on smoothing them and raising the low octane max ignition to something closer to 10*. Other users have notified me in the past that this low of ignition can witness ignition blowout.
    iat spark reduction is pretty aggressive from factory, you could effective halve it and still be alright.

someone correct me if im wrong here but even under the boosted OS file im still under the impression that the maf sensor can still be used which if the case your maf sensor will activate above 4000 rpm. you should default it to enable at an un-obtainable rpm, set the fail hz to 0, and set all maf codes to fail on first error (un-check ses as well for all maf codes).

Ve table should have a close to stock table copied for values shared with oem for values under 101 kpa. anything above should increase in a linear form until the fuel is almost double the fuel at 101 kpa when your table is at 202 kpa. thats how you generate a table off of unknown data to get you close enough and allow you to tune using a wideband.

in boosted applications its critical that you have a wideband. get one installed if you dont, set it up in the scanner, then disable the fuel trim system in the editor. You would be shooting for trimless SD mode in order to use a wideband properly in HPT.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 05-22-2018 at 11:27 PM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

What do these engines run factory with no boost? 0psi probably 13's and 20* or more of timing.

So one would think that from 0 to say, oh I don't know, 3psi of boost, you could be near those values. I would say at least 15-18* of timing and 12.8:1 is okay with up to 2-3psi.

Once you pass near 7psi sure bring it down to 12.0 or 11.8 or w/e safety. But when its only near 0-3psi it probably doesn't need 12:1 to be good.

Tuner in Training
    thanks for the replies and info and knowledge ive gained, i guess i shouldve been cleare=this is "virtual" tune, its just a stock flash from my buddies k5 that we just got running, i am just practicing on building a boosted tune file and learning what areas i need to do more research on before we start on our next project that will be a ly6/6l90 with a turbo,cam etc......i just want to get a feel for this and not come on here and be like i put a turbo on somebody gimme a flash....is there a good scale or rule of thumb for boost/timing versus octane? also i guess i should be doing this on a e38 file as to be more famaliar with it.......once again thank you

Tuner in Training
    any better?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    if your going to use an e38 file then its completely different from p01 and p58 units.
    quite frankly its a pita compared to these two earlier units. at least if you run the boosted os on the e38 you wont deal with the vve tool

here is how i start with my 6.0 L. The fuel table will definitely be off because it uses a gas law to calculate the boosted region which isnt necessarily what the motor wants but it does error to the rich side.
    2004 Denali Stock_RTT2Bar.hpt
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    your VE table needs work as does PE values and spark values.

see attached for 5.7 manual pump gas 66mm single.570rwhp.hpt