Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OPEN Valve injectiton

Advanced Tuner

OPEN Valve injectiton

does anyong have a good explanation on what it is and what it does I see it in my fuel tab on my 16 mustang, ive googled and not really found anything.

Advanced Tuner
    It's an attempt at DI, basically all it does is inject fuel while the intake valve is open to try and recreate DI and increase mpg and power.

Advanced Tuner
    I’ve seen a few tubes on here and friends friends I haven’t seen anyone mess with any of the settings though

Advanced Tuner
    It's not really worth anything in my opinion, really was only put in to mimick DI like I said. I can't see anything good coming from it. Maybe increase max injection angle but that's it

Advanced Tuner
    Thank you I’ll just leave it be then.

Quote Originally Posted by txtailtorcher View Post
    It's an attempt at DI, basically all it does is inject fuel while the intake valve is open to try and recreate DI and increase mpg and power.

I don't know for sure, but don't think that is the case.

Shooting a port fuel injector through an open intake valve, in no way approximates what a DI injector does. What it will do is cause liquid fuel to hit and wash down the cylinder wall. No bueno.

Advanced Tuner
    So does everyone just leave the settings on it alone?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CCS86 View Post
    I don't know for sure, but don't think that is the case.

Shooting a port fuel injector through an open intake valve, in no way approximates what a DI injector does. What it will do is cause liquid fuel to hit and wash down the cylinder wall. No bueno.
    close, remember the fuel film is modeled in the pcm as well as the transient delay, (gain and time constant) like i said it was an attempt at "DI" without actually doing it. I saw the patent somewhere, trying to grab it. It was just designed to increase mpg just like IMRC's were too.

Senior Tuner
    You don't want to disable OVI, but you don't want it to be used if the engine too cold, unless the extra time to inject fuel is needed to match engine load. Most people let their engine warm up first before any sort of large throttle openings.
    When the engine is cold the throttle can be used to increase MAP or the fuel pump DC can be lowered to decrease fuel pressure. This is all to decrease the cone angle of the injector spray to get fuel in a better location during closed/partial/open valve injection. This helps avoid fuel sticking to the intake walls, cylinder walls, bore wash down, and being lost to valve overlap. Emissions are reduced, Engine stays clean, performance is maintained/ increased.
    Once the engine is warmed up OVI and wall wetting becomes less of an issue as the heat evaporates the fuel.

There is no need to change anything about the OVI thresholds. You could lower the enable CHT 10-15* if you have a lower thermostat, but its not really going to change anything noticeably. It will just avoid the ECU changing the fuel pressure or throttle very slightly if anything at all. As far as actual lambda or RPM that shouldn't be effected so you wouldn't notice anything.

Advanced Tuner
    Thank you murfie as always you have a enormous amount of info for something. I’ve learned a lot here . Thank you

The F-150 5.0 and Mustang GT 5.0 have OVI settings, but the way Ford set it up doesn't seem to actually enable it. There is a Low RPM enable and a High RPM enable, along with CHT enable. But if you look at the load table, OVI won't occur for low RPM because you'll never exceed those load settings.

My 2018 Explorer XLT 3.5 N/A has OVI, but it is set up for 6300 RPM / 8000 RPM respectively.

Reading up on Bosch's website, OVI seems to have merit: https://www.bosch-presse.de/presspor...ems-42304.html

I was thinking of running OVI just for 5000+ RPM at WOT for more power, but if I can get 2% extra MPG all around, that'd be worth it.

Any thoughts on enabling it?

Been experimenting with it. 180F CHT enable, and load enable are 0.70 or above. I set the low RPM enable to 1000 RPM, and high RPM enable to 4500 RPM. So far, I haven't detected anything different, but I've been doing gas mileage testing so I haven't had too many opportunities to go WOT continuously.

It would really depend on your WOT injector duty cycle.

Let's say your intake cam duration is 260*

260* / 720* = 36%

Your intake valve is open 36% of the time. If your injector duty cycle exceeds this, some portion of your injection event is against a closed valve.

I'm guessing this OVI setting is just retarding the injector timing to overlap as much of the IVO as possible.

I have to admit that valve and injection timing is a bit confusing to me because I can't easily visualize the degrees in relation to the events. But I looked at the Mustang and Fseries OVI timing table and they have the OVI enabled at 360 degrees for lower RPM and 420 degrees or so for higher RPM toward redline.

Senior Tuner
    OVI is referring to the exhaust valve being open when fuel injection starts. OVI and IVO are very similar, but don't confuse them. Part of the IVO is overlapped with the EVC. Because of the time it takes for fuel/air to travel from the intake and out the exhaust valve, you can use OVI to increase the total injection window more than just IVO when the EVC.

OVI seems to refer to injection with an open intake valve as per Bosch. It was designed to simulated direct injection without the hardware or problems with direct injection.

Senior Tuner
    Yeah simulates it like DI as far as emissions and not getting raw fuel into the exhaust.

Any recommendations on the OVI settings to have it actually enabled? The F-series have the more favorable settings to enable its function (pre-split DI/PI F-series 5.0) but the injection timing has me a bit confused, along with the low RPM and high RPM enable settings.

Senior Tuner
    Lower the timing values to advance when the injector can start opening, log injector duty cycle to see if you are getting more capability from them at similar loads. Not sure what your goal with this is?

I'll give it a shot. The lowest timing value available is 360, and it goes up to 720. My goal is to squeeze every bit of power and fuel economy out of this N/A 3.5 V6