Thread: 3.5 eco boost difference in calibration question from Eric b

Advanced Tuner

3.5 eco boost difference in calibration question from Eric b

Looking through posts on here eric posted a 14 f150 ecoboost file called sct base and the cal for the operating system was kgcv2c5 I?m working on a 14f150 ecoboost kgcv2c4 what?s the difference? Could I use a lot of those settings from the 2c5 on this truck and see how it runs? It doesn?t seem to radical I wanted to try it out . I assume would need to run 93 on it though ?

Tuner
    If you look through almost all of the Ford calibration files uploaded for the same model and year you'll start noticing there are many variations of the operating system, and likewise those operating system's stock values differ very slightly from each other (look in ares like the stock valve timing and stock torqe/load tables to see what I mean). You can generally copy the limit values without causing flash issues, I'd avoid copying everything that's different though, especially if its either a very small difference or if it seems completely unrelated to your goals.

As for 93... you're going to always get the same answer from anyone that's tuning a turbo vehicle for more power, you should run 93. It's safer for the engine, safer for the tuner, and will result in more power. I would be very skeptical if a tuner was advertising large power increases (especially in a tow tune) on 87. I'm not saying it can't be done, I tested it on my personal vehicle, while driving carefully and logging, but there are definite trade offs. If you can't be logging it to see what it's doing, or control who's using it, you're better off to be safe and run it with 93.

Advanced Tuner
    Yea the tune I was questioning about I think would be a good tune to base my stock file off of. Nothing drastic is changed so I would think it’s ok . Thanks for the info. I found the tune by going back I think to page like 12 or so and it said it was a 91 octane tune with a air aid intake I believe the rest of the truck was stock. When loaded as a compare to my stock file I haven’t seen anything that’s available in one then not the other .

Advanced Tuner
    I actually replied to the post above somits in there lol

Advanced Tuner
    This is the tune in question just wondering if anyone had looked at it or tried any of the settings in it?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    also was told by a tuner that disabling cot wont effect the cats at all, is this true? was told that these vehicles wont go into wot enrichment until the cot temps are met.

Tuner
    There should be a table for wot fuel enrichment, then a separate cell for maximum enrichment either under temperature protections or fuel. Once you pass the pedal position in the WOT table you will go into power enrich, then once you pass the COT threshold you’ll see it riches to the second maximum enrichment number. If you do disable COT protection you won’t destroy your cat immediately, but doing long high temperature operation (like towing) will drastically reduce its life span.

In short what that tuner said is not true, there is a WOT enrichment, and COT proetection does have a purpose (if it didn’t, think about all the negatives associated with running super rich, why would the OEM configure it to intentionally run that way).

Advanced Tuner
    yea something didn't sound right there. its my father in laws truck and he uses it to tow often so ill leave cot alone. I know this ecoboost is a way different platform then the coyote car that ive been working on for a month but I figured the cot was basic a operation that worked the same on every vehicle. did you happen to review the tune I posted above im wanting to try some of the settings in there. just looking to get a bit more power out of the truck for him nothing crazy. thanks for the info.