Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corrupt PCM trims be wild...

Advanced Tuner
    Here is an example of a customer car with the issue. Tuned using CMR by another shop. Customer complained of a CEL. Logging showed the same thing you see in this log, we returned it to stock and it still had the same issue. Shipped the PCM to HPtuners to reflash and retuned using HPtuners. Problem solved.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Specializing in building and tuning 1000hp, daily driven, 9 second cars!

www.ostdyno.com Shop Phone: 724-368-9000

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Here is an example of a customer car with the issue. Tuned using CMR by another shop. Customer complained of a CEL. Logging showed the same thing you see in this log, we returned it to stock and it still had the same issue. Shipped the PCM to HPtuners to reflash and retuned using HPtuners. Problem solved.
    The log is much different than all of the cars that I've seen with an issue, but it sounds as though you've had to go through the same thing I've had ended up doing to repair it. All of the PCM's I've had issues with have just caused one bank fuel trims to climb to full +30% LT and ST fuel trims in a matter of maybe a minute of run time after fuel trims were reset. It is interesting though that you had to go through this same procedure to fix it, and it is also interesting that it was again a car tuned with CMR at some point.

Advanced Tuner
    We had another do the same thing and we reflashed it with our WiTech module and that resolved the issue. The log I showed above was immediately after a "reset adaptives" and a drive around our lot. If we would have driven it a mile or so the trims would have maxed out like you experienced.
    Specializing in building and tuning 1000hp, daily driven, 9 second cars!

www.ostdyno.com Shop Phone: 724-368-9000

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    We had another do the same thing and we reflashed it with our WiTech module and that resolved the issue. The log I showed above was immediately after a "reset adaptives" and a drive around our lot. If we would have driven it a mile or so the trims would have maxed out like you experienced.
    Yeah, I don't have a WiTech, but I do have a really good relationship with a local dealer and they will flash them for me when I need. I'll try that in the future. All of them that I've had an issue with I sent back to Diablo. The last one that did it I just disconnected the battery. It fixed the issue, but I have the feeling it is going to happen again at some point to the customer. I told him about it so he is aware (he is local and a mechanic so he wasn't worried about it). I think I mentioned it earlier in this post, but I came to the idea of the battery because of speaking to Diablo about this. They said they are just flashing the PCM's and sending them back out when they are being returned with this issue. That got me thinking that there are only 2 things happening there, they are flashing them and the battery is being disconnected for an extended period of time. So I tried disconnecting the battery overnight prior to removing the PCM and shipping to Diablo and it worked. If I get another that does it I'm going to try that again.

I've talked to Diablo extensively about this and they are unsure of the cause. If it were a tune issue you'd think it would be more consistent. I've had cars that ran for up to a year on a tune with no change and just one day start doing it. Changed the PCM, loaded the same tune, and to date not had another issue. They also know that this is not an isolated issue to a specific tuner or hardware. They have reviewed tunes that I've sent them and cannot find issues that would be causing it. It's really odd.

To update this guys, I took the car to the dealer, customer had the car a couple weeks in open loop and it ran great for him. The PCM had an update anyway so I flashed it, pulled the new tune and wrote in my tune on the new flash, only thing I changed was lowered CL temp so it would come on and car is fine. I'm glad that fixed it.

Advanced Tuner
    I know this is an old post but do you think this is what could be happen to my wifes SRT8 charger. It's had a diablo tune on it for 100K miles then just cut off on her at a light. I went replace the coils, plugs, checked the cats, drained the tank, check injectors for a leak, replaced the map sensor. And it changes nothing. The fuel trims are all over the place. At first it was showing a lean code Ramdom miss fire. Then once showed a P0600 missfire on 6. So i replace all the coils and plugs since the are so old. That didn't change anything and the P0600 never came back. It will crank and run barely but really rough and smells extremely rich. I sent it to a mechanic to look at and he could find anything either. And said it must be internal like a lifter wiped the cam out.

I agreed with him the but after reading this, I'm not sure. There is NO knock or tick from a lifter going bad sound. I just did heads and cam myself on my L86 sierra because I had a lifter stick for a short time and release on it's own luckily. But it left me with a distinctive tick.

Here is a log but the fuel trim are different every time I start it. I have seen the -32 on one side only a couple times.6-23-20 missfire.hpl

If the trims of the two bank going in different ways, it sounds like the o2?s are twisted.....

Advanced Tuner
    Checked them when I pulled the front ones to see if the cats where clogged. And they haven?t every been touched in 100k miles. It just stopped running

Advanced Tuner
    I called diablo and said all I needed to do is reload the tune. Which I don't think they are correct.

And here is the problem.

I have had this Diablo tune on my wife's car for over 110K miles. And since then we have moved houses and my wife lost the Diablo handheld tuner. So I have no way to set it back to stock and reload. They say I should just buy a new one. But if I'm going to retune it. I'm want to use HP tuner now that I have it for my other cars.

Think I can take the computer out and take it to a dealership and just have them re-flash the computer to stock. Or does it need to be in the car.

Advanced Tuner
    I found this company that will send me a new ECU for $146.24.

Since the car is stock. This seems like the best deal to get it flashed back to stock

https://www.fs1inc.com/2008-dodge-ch...plug-play.html

What do you think?????

Advanced Tuner
    Do you have your stock (original) file? Probably not since it was saved on the diablo handheld. Even if you get a new diablo not sure how you can get it to upload a stock file? It's actually not a good idea to read the diablo tune and write it to the new PCM directly, usually you want to copy over the changes from the diablo tune to a stock tune instead.

So when you get the new PCM, read the calibration that is on it and save it (make copies just in case), then copy over the differences from the diablo tune (assuming you have a read of it with HP) to the stock calibration and write it to the new PCM.
    Last edited by Homer; 07-16-2020 at 09:19 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Yea I don't have the stock file. I did the Diablo before I really knew anything about cars. Not that I know a whole lot now.

The plan is to just get the new computer sent to me from Fs1inc.com with the stock calibrations. The only thing done to the car is mufflers so there is no need to go back to the diablo programming. I'll just use HP tuners from here forward.

The goal is to just get the car running now. We just bought my wife a new to us 2016 Scatpack charger. So if I can get it to run we might just sell it. This is a last resort thing on try to get it to run. I was just just going to sell it as a roller until I found this thread. I could keep it as a spare but if I have a spare hot rod I want it to be 2 doors and lighter LOL.