Thread: Paralles / Macbook Pro / Win10 ...scanner freezes

Tuner in Training

Paralles / Macbook Pro / Win10 ...scanner freezes

hi new to the forum and community, im using an older macbook pro (early 2011) parallels latest ver and windows 10 i have the HPT mpiv unit standard version im trying to to run the scanner on my car 2015 camaro SS 1LE and every time it connects and I hit record I drive off and it freezes up ill see the numbers running across the bottom but nothing else but throttle percentage is showing live . I haven't had any issues flashing or downloading from the car only this any help ??

Tuner in Training
    how much ram are you using? i was using parallels a while back with Windows 7 and didn't have a problem (16g ram 2011 mbp). After i upgraded to Sierra, my Parallels didn't work unless I paid for another upgrade. I ran it for a while just using bootcamp, but that got old rebooting to switch operating systems all the time.

Now running Virtualbox. its free and runs on the same partition. works perfect.

Tuner in Training
    I tried virtual box but it kept freezing every time I tried to install Windows I believe my Mac only has 4g of ram it?s an old hand me down 2011 Mac book pro

Tuner in Training
    more ram would be helpful. you could probably upgrade to at least 8 gig for $50. try deleting channels you aren't using. does it show the information during playback?

If so, you may try to zoom out on your chart while recording to reduce the resolution.

Tuner in Training
    I will try to get more ram I was looking into I love this laptop So I would like to keep it going . I have a video of what it?s doing Idk how to post it Maybe I can email it to you ?

Tuner in Training
    you can email it to me or if you go to the advanced reply and scroll down, you can attach your scan on your thread.

Tuner in Training
    You can do tweaks to your vm settings and macbook, but you will need to do some more investigation into the cause then what you have provided.

My opinion is that it just doesn't work reliably enough to be a 100% confident you won't brick your ecu when they're a resource conflict/error with the interface or the app freezes without any error reporting.

Can you just run the scanner as stand-alone and then pull the log from the scanner that is saved, that way your not fighting issues of live scanning with laptop?

Can you just run the scanner as stand-alone and then pull the log from the scanner that is saved, that way your not fighting issues of live scanning with laptop?

Tuner in Training
    I haven’t tried that I have flashed the ecm quite a few times already no issues there seems to only be with the scanner

Tuner in Training
    i have had mine stall and fail during programming. it won't brick your computer.

so when you are logging...does it initially start and then freeze, or does it never show the log during recording?

Tuner in Training
    can you post your layout file?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by russ472 View Post
    i have had mine stall and fail during programming. it won't brick your computer.

so when you are logging...does it initially start and then freeze, or does it never show the log during recording?
    Yes this is exactly what it does ..!! I will post my layout later this evening

Tuner in Training
    heres the layout file
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    you are logging WAY too many parameters at once. Get rid of any you don't need to monitor. i would probably keep it at no more than 10-12. Look in your channels tab also.i am sure that is overloaded too.

trim it down and see what happens

Tuner in Training
    Ok I’ll give that a shot thanks
    Last edited by Diesel1le; 05-31-2018 at 07:48 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by russ472 View Post
    you are logging WAY too many parameters at once. Get rid of any you don't need to monitor. i would probably keep it at no more than 10-12. Look in your channels tab also.i am sure that is overloaded too.

trim it down and see what happens

Hey man that’s what it was !!! Took a bunch of stuff out and it’s working now thanks for all your help !!

Tuner in Training
    Glad I could help. happy tuning!

Potential Tuner
    hey guys Ive been having a similar issue. It was working fine with several added on channels. After adding a few more channels it stops and completely restarts the whole log on its own, repeatedly. I read this and removed almost half of the channels i was logging. Ive had hp tuners for about 4 months and it just started last week. Ive tried unplugging all the wires from the truck, the interface, and the laptop. its starting to drive me insane!!