Thread: V6 owners with a high stall TC.

V6 owners with a high stall TC.

Please read, help solution for anyone with a high stall TC:

I have a 3750 stall in my L36 and trying to drive in 3rd and OD has been very irritating and annoying since I’ve installed it earlier this year. It's to much of a PITA to reinstall the stock TC and I really like the high stall because of the low end torque and the quick boost into the GT1 cam powerband. It's great for the track but very difficult on the street. The most annoying part of this high stall TC is it wants to keep shifting between applying and releasing, particularly accelerating hills in 3rd and OD while maintaining a constant speed. I could never keep the throttle steady; I’d always have to accelerate to keep the TC applied to make the grade. There never seemed to be enough pressure to keep the stall applied or released. Here's what I have discovered to help alleviate the problem so far.

Anyone that is familiar with the TCC tables will know the TC only releases in 3rd and OD. The TC does not release in 1st and 2nd. For the TC to switch between release and apply requires using the clutch. I honestly don’t need the TC to release in 3rd gear because I'm constantly down and up shifting between lights and stop signs. This puts unecessary wear on the clutch. So to save frustration and clutch wear I've configured the TCC tables so the TC will not release in 3rd and this has helped dramatically in 3rd gear with the TC. My mpg has decreased by only a fraction and I've gotten use to the higher revs in 3rd. Now how do I deal with OD. I don't want to keep OD from not releasing because OD is when you really want the TC to stay released while cruising for a long period.

Thanks to the new version 12, we are now able to modify the TC duty cycles This is how I fixed the TC behavior in OD. I left the TCC tables for OD as is for a stock GT 3.29. There seems to be not enough pressure to keep the TC applied or released. The stock duty cycels just don't have enough oomph. I've started out by setting my max duty cycles to 99% and minimum duty cycles to 98% and success! The TC stays released while cruising and stays applied when driving up grades. A word of caution, I feel this may be to aggressive because I can really feel the TC applying and releasing while driving, it feels like shifts. By increasing the duty cycles I'm unsure what the long term affects are and I'm still experimenting with the duty cycles. This evening I am going to back off the duty cycles and set the min and max tables both to the stock max values. Maybe I don't need to be so aggressive at 98%, perhaps if I use the max stock values as the minimum that may save long term wear.

If anyone has any quesitons, please ask. I'm still trying to learn so please correct me if I'm wrong with any of my assumptions.

Thought I'd share
    Last edited by dlclarkiiRegal; 07-27-2006 at 06:48 PM.
    2007 Pontiac G6 GTP ~ 3.6 VVT (LY7 10.2:1) w/ 6 speed auto/manual tap)
    14.358 N/A @ 96.57 mph
    2001 Regal LS ~ L32 GenV M90; PLX SM-AFR WB; 3.4 Blower Pulley; 18* WOT; XP CAM; TOGs; N* TB; Dynotech Stage 2 Trans
    13.288 @ 104.23 mph

Car Domain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2291346/1

I think raising duty cycle min/max should increase TCC clutch life,as far as the friction material anyway, not sure if increased pressure will harm any seals or what not.Should also lower overall tranny temps as long as line pressure isn't changed.
    My concern is the 4th gear clutch shaft, I have torn the splines off on two different trannys, and i dont think the TCC locking hard can be good for that.
    I am still playing with min/max duty cycle to try and get a smooth aply without any slippage, at 90/100 when it locks it is firmer than the 2-3/3-4 shift.My tanny is very "tired" though ,over 100k and i drive it like i stole it......alwalys.

With the high stall I think you will just have to play with the shift/apply speed tables until you get it to feel decent at normal driving conditions.
    2000 Impala 3.8
    4T65Ehd 3.29
    VCM ID:7DS739259ui
    VCM OS ID:9387047

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dlclarkiiRegal
    Please read, help solution for anyone with a high stall TC:

I have a 3750 stall in my L36 and trying to drive in 3rd and OD has been very irritating and annoying since I’ve installed it earlier this year. It's to much of a PITA to reinstall the stock TC and I really like the high stall because of the low end torque and the quick boost into the GT1 cam powerband. It's great for the track but very difficult on the street. The most annoying part of this high stall TC is it wants to keep shifting between applying and releasing, particularly accelerating hills in 3rd and OD while maintaining a constant speed. I could never keep the throttle steady; I’d always have to accelerate to keep the TC applied to make the grade. There never seemed to be enough pressure to keep the stall applied or released. Here's what I have discovered to help alleviate the problem so far.
    Interesting. You seem to be describing my issue perfectly. Anyone have an opinion on what may be going on if I'm now having this problem? This transmission was rebuilt in April with a ATI 3250 t/c, among some other hardened parts and clutches. This problem that you describe has been going on for a few weeks now. ??? Thanks in advance.

Advanced Tuner
    i had 3800 stall and now (untested 4400) i just tune the crap of the tranny talbes and it works just fine even for DD
    http://www.turbov6camaro.com
    1997 Stalled V6 Camaro
    Goal: 10.99 in the 1/4
    Goal: 100 MPH (completed)

Best Dyno: 456 RWHP and 509 RWTQ
    Best: 1/4 mile 11.23 20 PSI
    Best1/8: 7.18 @ 99 1.83, 60 foot 20 PSI

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by viper04af
    i had 3800 stall and now (untested 4400) i just tune the crap of the tranny talbes and it works just fine even for DD
    Which tables?
    I'm going to be looking at a Bonneville this weekend that has a new high stall TC and after about 10 miles the pcm sets a trans componet slipage error and the TCC unlocks.
    While we where on the freeway the other day I was scanning it with autotap and decided to reset the code, instantly the TCC locked again.
    I can't remember what I did with my 1998 Grand Prix GTP when I installed my 3ktc.
    Best 60' = 1.716
    Best ET = 12.186
    Best MPH = 112.98

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PDXGTP
    Which tables?
    I'm going to be looking at a Bonneville this weekend that has a new high stall TC and after about 10 miles the pcm sets a trans componet slipage error and the TCC unlocks.
    While we where on the freeway the other day I was scanning it with autotap and decided to reset the code, instantly the TCC locked again.
    I can't remember what I did with my 1998 Grand Prix GTP when I installed my 3ktc.
    the part throttle shit talbes that go buy MPH you need to bring the shift mph down and it will smooth out
    1997 Stalled V6 Camaro

Tuner
    Thanks, I'll give that a try,
    Best 60' = 1.716
    Best ET = 12.186
    Best MPH = 112.98

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PDXGTP
    Thanks, I'll give that a try,
    BTW the 4600 is great on the street
    1997 Stalled V6 Camaro

Potential Tuner
    Not sure if I'm allowed to link to another forum here, but here's a link to someone having a problem like mine and/or ours on clubgp:

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1

Potential Tuner
    My car has sat for a while. I had a reluctor wheel installed for the 3.29 gears and the pcm changed back to the stock settings. My problem appears to be cured.