Thread: Manifold Volume / Supercharger Displacement

Tuner in Training

Manifold Volume / Supercharger Displacement

I have not seen this discussed at all and it is a thought I had when I replaced a 2.3L blower with a 4.2L. Should the manifold volume be increased?

Tuning Addict
    Yes, as long as you want transients to be more in line... Anytime you add FI manifold volume should be increased - at least in my opinion
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    It seems to me that function acts as an "accelerator pump" The lower the number is more is added at tip in

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Mfdcar51 View Post
    It seems to me that function acts as an "accelerator pump" The lower the number is more is added at tip in
    I saw the same thing... which one is correct?

Quote Originally Posted by colo_evo View Post
    I saw the same thing... which one is correct?
    That function does seem to act as a Accel pump when moved around although i don't think that's what it is for directly. Accel fueling is more a side effect of it's purpose to determine air speed/volume of the manifold from what i understand. I've also noticed it can cause some strange over fueling on decel if too far outta wack. Does the blower actually displace more air space between the Throttle body and head? My OPINION would be maybe up it slightly, but from one blower to the other not much is needed.

I have done a bit of testing, and saw effects on transient fueling. But I definitely wouldn't call it an "accelerator pump". 'Accel Transient Fuel Gain' is the table that acts as an accelerator pump.

I found it hard to separate the effects of manifold volume and transient gain. I think it functions more as a transient delay that affects how STFTs work. I think it stacks something on top of the O2 transport delay during times of rapid throttle movement, to keep the trims well timed and prevent a chase condition.