Thread: Transmission Shift Time.

Tuner in Training

Transmission Shift Time.

Well after doing Shifted's walkthroughs on removing engine/transmission torque managment I took the car out for a drive, have VERY long shift times (like a second between shifts where the trans just slipps like mad, unless i turn on my B&M but i'm trying to get away from that) i've been wondering what could cause it in his articles that would cause it.

Also under Transmission/Shift Properties there is a "Desired Shift Time" button with a table you can edit. has anyone messed around in here if so what were the effects?

I'm most likely going to flash the PCM back to my previous tune and go from there again but any advice is welcome

Another Question though is, Do these Cars/VCM's actually switch from normal to "performance" modes? if so what do they go off of (i take it TPS readings?) thanks
    2000 Chevy Cavalier (being completed)
    1987 Dodge D150 Turbocharged Slantsix EFI!

Advanced Tuner
    Well, personally I wouldn't COMPLETELY remove the torque management. I would reduce it perhaps 50%, this will help prolong the life of your transmission. After removing torque management my car began exhibiting low RPM/Speed shift problems and major slipping (an existing problem was amplified).

The desired shift time will try to increase the pressures to shift up (and down) in the desired time. You can play with that and the force motor current tables to get your shift times where you want them.
    2.4L Twin Cam Cavalier Z24 | T3 Super 60 @ 9 PSI | FMIC | TurboXS RFL | Greddy Profec B Spec II | Custom HO Intake Manifold | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | HP Tuners | 5 Speed Swap | Team Green LSD | SPEC Stage 3 Clutch | Fidanza Short Shifter | Prothane Control Arm Bushings | Carbon Fiber Hood

Quote Originally Posted by Shifted
    Well, personally I wouldn't COMPLETELY remove the torque management. I would reduce it perhaps 50%, this will help prolong the life of your transmission. After removing torque management my car began exhibiting low RPM/Speed shift problems and major slipping (an existing problem was amplified).
    But that video of it was sweet.... lol

P&P Tuning

Tuner
    shifted,
    u have an automatic don't u? i thought i read(in jbo) somewhere u were doing a 5spd swap.

Nate

Potential Tuner
    I disabled engine tq mgmt and reduced trans tq mgmt by 50% and disabled abuse mode calculations. All was well for a while but I am starting to notice the low speed slips now.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by c24s/c
    shifted,
    u have an automatic don't u? i thought i read(in jbo) somewhere u were doing a 5spd swap.

Nate
    I had an auto, but yeah, now I have a 5 speed.
    2.4L Twin Cam Cavalier Z24 | T3 Super 60 @ 9 PSI | FMIC | TurboXS RFL | Greddy Profec B Spec II | Custom HO Intake Manifold | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | HP Tuners | 5 Speed Swap | Team Green LSD | SPEC Stage 3 Clutch | Fidanza Short Shifter | Prothane Control Arm Bushings | Carbon Fiber Hood

Tuner
    shifted,
    but when ur tranny was slipping that was with the auto, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by c24s/c
    shifted,
    but when ur tranny was slipping that was with the auto, correct?
    yes, it was his auto..

P&P Tuning