Thread: NGC3 to NGC4 ECM swap

Tuner in Training

NGC3 to NGC4 ECM swap

Has anybody done this swap? I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon and would like to be able to tune the transmission with HP Tuners but have been told by Chad at HP Tuners that they will not be supporting the older NGC3 ecm's. Can a ecm swap be done so I can tune the transmission?

If so what are the hurdles to overcome?

Thanks

Tim

Man, this totally sucks. The promise of transmission tuning is one of the reasons I went ahead and bought this system.

I guess we know how good their word is now, huh?

Not at all happy...
    2004 Dodge Durango, 5.7L Hemi, 10:1 compression
    -SRT8 cam, advanced 6 degrees, 6.1L valve springs
    -Manley pushrods
    -Scat rods, Speed Pro pistons

2004 Dodge Durango, 392 Stroker, 11:1 compression
    -Custom cam grind, 221/230, .575"/.585", 115 LSA, 3 degrees advanced)
    -Scat forged 4.05" crank, Scat Ultra Q-Lite H-beams, Mahle forged pistons
    -Stock heads with 6.1L valves (2.08", 1.60"), bowl work to match new seat profiles
    -PSI LS1511 valve springs

Quote Originally Posted by AkWhtBst View Post
    Has anybody done this swap? I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon and would like to be able to tune the transmission with HP Tuners but have been told by Chad at HP Tuners that they will not be supporting the older NGC3 ecm's. Can a ecm swap be done so I can tune the transmission?

If so what are the hurdles to overcome?

Thanks

Tim
    I've asked this same question, but I don't think it'll work without HP software modification because the PCM/TCM is identified by the VIN, not the type of PCM/TCM. If this would be possible (and I think it could be), I think the HP folks would have to do some sort of software override to allow early VIN's to work with the NGC4 PCM/TCM, i.e. tell the software that it's not really an 04-06, but an 07> even though the VIN says it's not.

I have a somewhat modified 06 Hemi Grand Cherokee and have everything set up the way I want it EXCEPT the torque converter slip. I have all my light and WOT up and down shift schedules and torque management set exactly the way I want them.
    Last edited by HemiX2; 10-05-2018 at 06:52 PM.
    Two (now Three) Hemi's, an 05 5.7 Magnum, an 06 300C SRT8 and an 06 5.7 Jeep Grand Cherokee, all somewhat modded. The 5.7's are modded almost the same with advanced (10* for Maggie and 6* for the Jeep) FRI Sidewinder cams/6.1 valve trains, ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SC, DS and HP Tuners, headers, cat. backs, underdrive pulleys, SOS coils, catch cans, 90 mm throttle bodies, plus a bunch of cosmetic stuff. 06 300C SRT8, Comp. Cammed, HPT tuned, Foose wheels, 85 mm TB.

Hi there, I've got something more ancient - NGC3!
    Does anybody tried to switch it with NGC3 Can?

Tuner in Training
    I bought an 07 NGC4 pcm and swapped it into my 06 300c. It did start the car however the ecu was already dead when I received it so I could not read it at all let alone program it. However, the first time, it did start the car and let it run despite the skim mismatch. I shut the car off and tried to start it again and this time the skim prevented it from running for more than a couple of seconds.

So since the pcm is half dead already and I cannot connect to it with my programming tools, I cannot properly program the vin to see how the car will behave with the NGC4 installed. I have another one on the way here and will let you guys know if it works. It is my understanding that the 06 EGS52 TCM may not be compatible with HP Tuners, but the 07 EGS53 is. So maybe we can swap both the 07 PCM and TCM in.

I will post my results when I have them.
    Last edited by Rockhound; 12-28-2018 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
    I bought an 07 NGC4 pcm and swapped it into my 06 300c. It did start the car however the ecu was already dead when I received it so I could not read it at all let alone program it. However, the first time, it did start the car and let it run despite the skim mismatch. I shut the car off and tried to start it again and this time the skim prevented it from running for more than a couple of seconds.

So since the pcm is half dead already and I cannot connect to it with my programming tools, I cannot properly program the vin to see how the car will behave with the NGC4 installed. I have another one on the way here and will let you guys know if it works. It is my understanding that the 06 EGS52 TCM may not be compatible with HP Tuners, but the 07 EGS53 is. So maybe we can swap both the 07 PCM and TCM in.

I will post my results when I have them.
    Anything new with PCM swap?

Advanced Tuner
    Interesting. I got a good deal on a 07 NGC4 and have a dead NGC3 CAN in my 06. I can find a million ads for a reman NGC3 can but no one actually has one in hand.

Tuner in Training
    what ta do?
    I have a customer with an 03 ram big cam can't tune throughout
    so he installed an 05 ECU, I read vehicle
    license vehicle and then wrote entire with both skim disabled
    vehicle cranks over but no injector ground pulse
    after further discussion
    customer shorted pin 38 to ground to enable starter relay
    which leads me to believe that Skim is not letting it crank
    what should we dso now?