Thread: 3v with comp cams

Tuner in Training

3v with comp cams

I have a friend that recently installed a set of the comp mutha thumpa cams..trying to find some info since the tune repository is down.. can anyone help me with some of the info and adjustmets needed for him to drive his car again..

Advanced Tuner
    This is some of what I did on a car with mothathumprs

If you have cam phaser limiters installed, go to Airflow > Variable Cam, at the bottom of Configuration you'll find three of your max retard limits. Change any value greater than 20 to a value of 20 or even 18. At the top is Table Select, make sure it's on "Load" and your VCT Angles will run off of "Angle LOAD" tables below. Open both VCT Angle (IMRC Open) and (Closed), change any value greater than 20 to 20. increase your last 5 column at loads .8 and 1.0 to 7, 9, 14, 17, 18. This would be your WOT cam angle, you'll have to adjust these and see what works best.

Raise Your idle RPM to above 800. Your Idle Airflow will need be adjusted, as well as your dashpot
    Idle Airflow
    lb/min Airflow
    500 0.86
    600 0.92
    700 0.99
    800 1.059
    900 1.151
    1000 1.22
    1200 1.381
    2200 2.218
    2570 2.56
    3190 2.90
    rpm

Go to Spark > Advance > Idle Spark Advance and In Gear and Park/Neutral. Increase the bottom two cells to a value between 20 and 24.

Under Maximum Spark > Start Up, increase any values below 15, to 15.

Spark > Advance > Borderline Knock table works with Borderline Corrections below it work together. MBT Spark and MBT Corrections work together. You can use the two together or you can 0 the corrections tables and just run off the two spark tables themselves. You can add or remove timing using the corrections table.

Fuel > Cutoff, you can raise you the rev limiter up since you will create power above the stock limiter now.

There's a few things to get you started. Cars react differently. You will have to mess with idle spark and cranking spark. Dashpot will need to be played with too.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks..I have been messing with my coyote..but haven't done much 3v

Advanced Tuner
    The coyote is more torque based where 3 valves are more airflow based. Idle airflow, dashpot and spark decel play a big role in making it nice and streetable.
    You'll probably need to adjust idle areas of driver demand

Tuner in Training
    ok thanks..got it running better now just some idle issues still