Thread: 2004 Grand Prix 3.8 Vin 2 VATS issue

Potential Tuner

2004 Grand Prix 3.8 Vin 2 VATS issue

Hi All,

I have been reading through the threads on how to disable VATS on this vehicle, 04 Grand Prix 3.8 non-supercharged. Vehicle has a stock engine and trans, but is being converted into a circle track car for a kid. I am looking to disable VATS and allow the car to start with a push button and toggle switch. I have tried to straight up disable VATS, car cranks with no injector pulse. I would change to SERIAL and then disable the theft DTC's, set them to do not report and it was a start and stall. I have attached the tune with the VATS codes disabled. Can someone offer some advice on getting this VATS disabled to the vehicle will start? Thanks for any help.

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    maybe try checking the ses box like this guy says https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post518933 and see if that works

Potential Tuner
    I selected the SES boxes and loaded it again. The vehicle ran and would run as long as I did not shut it off. When I shut the engine off it would be a crank no start again. I have tried it with VATS serial and VATS disabled, same condition. Thoughts? Thanks

Tuner in Training
    hmm maybe try re enabling the dtcs that thread is old from 2007 maybe they made it so all you have to do is set vats to off an hp tuners staff guy said somewhere most cars just need to set vats to off after that if that dosent work just email support with the tune and a log of vats status when trying to start

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    when you changed the VATS command over did you flash as a calibration or a write entire?

make sure you set up a file that disables the VATS. you then perform a write entire it should then disable. In some of the V8's is a completely new OS option which has a pop up window requesting write entire.

perform the flash with a battery charger to reduce voltage issues. and keep you laptop plugged in while your at it.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    I did do a write entire and then I have tried just the vin/vats update. I have just updated the editing SW and downloaded a fresh file from the vehicle. I will modify and try it again writing the entire file. I have a programming battery charger I have been using so voltage should not be a problem. Thanks for your help!

Tuner in Training
    Not quite the same, but we played with an L67 '98 Regal a few years ago. It was our Junkyard Wars car and came with no keys, so we installed an on/off toggle and push button starter.

VATS was a huge PITA. First it would do nothing. Then we got it to crank. Then it would crank run, die.

We finally beat it. Vats enabled, injector disable to 0, rpm threshold set to 7000, reuploaded the tune, and bam, we had a running car.