Thread: 03 5.9 t0 6.7 swap

03 5.9 t0 6.7 swap

Has anyone here done a cummins swap like this? I have a customer that has just finished this swap and has it running. He still needs it tuned. I know he has added a big stick cam. Not sure what turbo setup he used though. A good base with a 6.7 maps would save a lot a logging time. With these early systems there is not a lot of tables/parameters available. I was surprised the 6.7 injectors worked. I was under the understanding that the voltage was different. Any input would be helpful. As they say, Time is money
    1969 nova w/ ls3
    2020 ram hemi
    2009 ALS-V Cadillac
    99 s10 w/ 09 G8 L76 turbo

Banned
    I got 6.7 injectors in my 05. Tuning is definitely needed to get the engine to start smooth with the 6.7 injectors and some tweaking to get it so it?s not belching black smoke under load. I used 2008 duration table but forecasted with excel the equivalent to the 2005 duration map axis values. Rail pressure adjust factors had to be tweaked and main and pilot crank timing had to be tweaked. I use UDC Pro RT myself but I can send a sample of my current tune for UDC Pro on it just to get it starting pretty smoothly and run fairly clean at idle and down the road.

Banned
    Or you can find it on the smarty resource forum

Banned
    https://smartyresource.com/forums/to...ectors-idling/

Here?s a direct link to the post that has some data log and tune samples available

thanks. i'll check it out
    1969 nova w/ ls3
    2020 ram hemi
    2009 ALS-V Cadillac

Banned
    The last tune sample I posted on there isn?t complete. But does provide a good smooth start, clean idle and pretty clean driving. Does need to be refined more.

jim
    I downloaded the smarty software but it will not let me open your file in demo mode. If you could take a screen shot or two it would help. Thanks
    1969 nova w/ ls3
    2020 ram hemi
    2009 ALS-V Cadillac

Banned
    When I get a chance later today I will copy to a spreadsheet everything I have changed and post it up for you.

Potential Tuner
    I have done a 6.7 swap into my early 04 truck. I have not found anyone who has said the 6.7 injectors works good with those ecms. I wanted to use the 6.7 injectors but I have seen lab scope grafts of both running & they are different. What I did was install the early 03/04 injectors in the 6.7 head, they will fit. There is a 2 deg difference in the spray angle between the early 03/04 injectors & the 6.7 injectors. The 6.7 will run clean like this on the stock tune with the stock injectors & stock turbo. You will have to tune from there for his set up. I have ran mine for a year & blew the head gasket. When I pulled the head the pistons looked great with no heavy carbon build up. Or damaged cylinder walls. I believe I blew the head gasket due to high timing, water meth injection & some pretty good boost pressure. I am sure the water/meth help to clean the pistons as well. Hope this helps. Enjoy the extra displacement, I know I have.

Potential Tuner
    One other thing I did think about was under injector hardware there are some adjustments for amperage & voltage but I don't mess with it because I don't know what it does exactly. I do know the 03/04 are solenoid injectors & the 6.7 uses piezo stacks. & when ever I have looked into after market stand alone diesel ecms you have to specify which type of injector you will be running. So I am guessing the injector driver hardware is way to different to run both styles of injector correctly. So from that I decided to use the same style injector the ecm is designed for.

Banned
    The current profiles from the 04.5-07 at least aren?t too much different from the 6.7 current profiles other than the 6.7 ecm uses a higher pull in current initially to open the injector quicker. The 5.9 uses a 2 stage peak and hold current profile and the 6.7 uses a 3 stage peak and hold. Using the 6.7 injectors in at least the 04.5-07 years is fine, just a fractionally slower to open the injectors compared to using the 6.7 injectors on a 6.7 ecm.

Banned
    Attachment 81915

Here's the spreadsheet of everything I changed. Let me know if the attachment doesn't work.