Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 2017 6.7

  1. #1

    2017 6.7

    Trying to find someone with a ?modified? base file to build off of for a 2017 6.7, if anyone could help me out please message me, or leave a way to get in touch with you. Just picked up a new shop truck to tow our 2012 6.7 to events with and definitely need to pick up some mpgs lol. I can help out with some early 6.7 tunes, we made 630hp/1188tq on our daily driven tune with only a 66mm turbo and a ?15 cp4.

  2. #2
    Tuner
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Grand Junction Colorado
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin@MtnStDsl View Post
    Trying to find someone with a ?modified? base file to build off of for a 2017 6.7, if anyone could help me out please message me, or leave a way to get in touch with you. Just picked up a new shop truck to tow our 2012 6.7 to events with and definitely need to pick up some mpgs lol. I can help out with some early 6.7 tunes, we made 630hp/1188tq on our daily driven tune with only a 66mm turbo and a ?15 cp4.
    If your trying to do this all emission equipped everything is in HP Tuners to do so. If you tuned another 6.7 to make power but you don't understand how to get mileage out of your 17 you probly should just buy files from someone else.

    Now if you are wanting specific things gone and you don't know how to work in Hex then I'd forget it and just buy someone elses tunes as well and put on the truck. I could get you bin files for the truck but without the tens of thousands of dollars in tools and software you won't be able to do anything with it. I'm sure as time goes someone out there will be stupid enough and cut throat enough to just let anyone have anything but I wouldn't count on that for several years.

    I don't mean this rude just answering your questions.

  3. #3
    Potential Tuner
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    8
    I don't have a 6.7 so I don't know what it looks like for you. That said, it depends on your strategy, but usually you'd bump timing and pull out some boost to engine. For trans, lower upshift rpms and make it not want to downshift until high pedal %.

  4. #4
    Tuner
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Stroker View Post
    If your trying to do this all emission equipped everything is in HP Tuners to do so. If you tuned another 6.7 to make power but you don't understand how to get mileage out of your 17 you probly should just buy files from someone else.

    Now if you are wanting specific things gone and you don't know how to work in Hex then I'd forget it and just buy someone elses tunes as well and put on the truck. I could get you bin files for the truck but without the tens of thousands of dollars in tools and software you won't be able to do anything with it. I'm sure as time goes someone out there will be stupid enough and cut throat enough to just let anyone have anything but I wouldn't count on that for several years.

    I don't mean this rude just answering your questions.
    What is Hex and what are bin files? I'm curious as to why everyone is so secretive about all this! I'm assuming the first people to tune had to get help themselves to tune these ECU's from either FORD, or the manufacturer or the ECU. Is that not true? I'm assuming each ECU has it's own "language" in which it communicates and odds of guessing that language is extremely rare. Therefore you'd have to have someone tell you what "language" it uses in order to use a program called Hex? If i'm way off let me know! I'm curious to know how all this works!

  5. #5
    Tuner
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Grand Junction Colorado
    Posts
    88
    Hex and Bin are both just coding for how things are translated (computer language). Everything electronic essentially runs on binary. Hex is just converted binary basically (different language). To be able to understand, read and edit it it takes tremendous amounts of knowledge and resources via tools and asscociates to accomplish things in it. I personally have over tens of thousands of dollars in tools and software to read edit and convert data for different software and hardware to flash into these trucks but am nowhere close to having the abilities that some of these big companies have. Companies like HPTuners makes it very easy for everyone to tune vehicles but there are going to be limits on what is achievable without all the other tools and knowledge due to them keeping their noses clean with government and what not. Not sure how else to explain it better. It's very secretive for 3 main reasons one is it is peoples livelihood. It is how they pay their bills and feed their families. Also they have hundreds of thousands of hours in creating, finding, testing, buying, learning that is not able to be replaced. Why would they give that away for free. The other is it is honestly too complicated to even try to explain to people that don't understand how things like this work that don't understand some very basic and some very complex computer programming. Here is a screenshot of section of a Hexidecimal read of a very primitive ECM (95 7.3 Powerstroke). 17+ Powerstrokes have 50,000+ maps in the ECM alone.

    Screenshot (86).png

  6. #6
    Tuner in Training
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    43
    Orange striker, Where are you.getting your a2m's/damos from? I'd.be interested in purchasing.

  7. #7
    Tuner
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Stroker View Post
    Hex and Bin are both just coding for how things are translated (computer language). Everything electronic essentially runs on binary. Hex is just converted binary basically (different language). To be able to understand, read and edit it it takes tremendous amounts of knowledge and resources via tools and asscociates to accomplish things in it. I personally have over tens of thousands of dollars in tools and software to read edit and convert data for different software and hardware to flash into these trucks but am nowhere close to having the abilities that some of these big companies have. Companies like HPTuners makes it very easy for everyone to tune vehicles but there are going to be limits on what is achievable without all the other tools and knowledge due to them keeping their noses clean with government and what not. Not sure how else to explain it better. It's very secretive for 3 main reasons one is it is peoples livelihood. It is how they pay their bills and feed their families. Also they have hundreds of thousands of hours in creating, finding, testing, buying, learning that is not able to be replaced. Why would they give that away for free. The other is it is honestly too complicated to even try to explain to people that don't understand how things like this work that don't understand some very basic and some very complex computer programming. Here is a screenshot of section of a Hexidecimal read of a very primitive ECM (95 7.3 Powerstroke). 17+ Powerstrokes have 50,000+ maps in the ECM alone.

    Screenshot (86).png
    Orange Stroker thank you! That Explanation it was perfect and makes perfect sense! I love that there's still guys like you work your butts off figuring it out. Are you doing this as a hobby for yourself? Or do you do this for a living? Also where would a guy like me go to start learning about this more in-depth?

  8. #8
    Tuner
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Grand Junction Colorado
    Posts
    88
    I do this for a living. I mostly do Cummins stuff but alot of Ford and Chevy as well. I am a Ford guy and am trying to get setup on all different platforms. I don't have a bunch of money behind me like the big guys I just try to make do with everything I have. I learn more everyday and will get where I want to be eventually. It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I'll pm you my email and I'll try to send you the best direction for your goals.

  9. #9
    Potential Tuner
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    1
    Justin I'm down in Australia and just learning on a new to me 2011 I'd love to see those sort of figure out of mine. If you feel like sharing hit me up!