Thread: Holley Sniper (non race) volume size

Tuner in Training

Holley Sniper (non race) volume size

Does anyone know the volume size of the first Holley sniper (without the removable top) ? I know it's not the best manifold but it's my spare manifold that I can use to in case I blow mine up on Nitrous.

Tuner in Training
    I got a few responses away from this forum that it should be close to stock. Thinking back to High school math, I sealed off the ports filled it with water quickly, transferred to a bucket it was sitting in and then counted the ml of water removed. I came up with 7900 ml (7.9L) over 3 tests. I assume it's a touch high. Hopefully it's close.

Now the stock programmed 2015 intake volume is almost 12 liters. I think it's not the exact volume - more like dynamic volume.

Advanced Tuner
    And I believe the cobra jet is 12.8. I'd have to look at the boss file to get that volume.

Senior Tuner
    High school math... High school science says the volume of water would not be equal to the volume of air. The volume of air would also be very dependent on pressure and temperature.

The proper way would be to seal the manifold water tight. Submerge the intake in something like a large graduated cylinder filled with water. Then measure the volume displaced.(displacement not volume)

Get a small kiddie pool and place a plastic bin or something that holds water that you can fit your manifold entirely in it. Fill that bin/ tub to the rim with water. Fully submerge your sealed manifold. Measure what overflowed into the pool.
    Last edited by murfie; 06-08-2018 at 02:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatwhite5.0 View Post
    And I believe the cobra jet is 12.8. I'd have to look at the boss file to get that volume.
    12.9 for Cobra Jet.

Advanced Tuner
    I would have thought the volume was a internal measurement not a external one.

Tuner in Training
    I called Holley and from the part number the said 6.1 L internal volume. It is much much smaller than my 12.56 L GT350 manifold.

There's no way stock mani has 12 liters - this parameter does not stand for exact physical volume.

Senior Tuner
    You could get a tare value by putting the manifold in slowly, letting it fill with water, giving you just the volume of the material the manifold is made of. It wouldn't be that significant, but up to you on how accurate you want to be. At that point you would also want to take into account the air pressure and temperature your are doing this in, to correct the volume to what the calibration is using as a base.

Cobra Jet - ford says it has 635 in3 so roughly 10,4 liters. In the tune it has 12,9 liters. Only Ford knows what it really means.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9424-M50CJA
    Last edited by veeefour; 06-08-2018 at 11:55 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by veeefour View Post
    Cobra Jet - ford says it has 635 in3 so roughly 10,4 liters. In the tune it has 12,9 liters. Only Ford knows what it really means.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9424-M50CJA
    OK this is logical, You have volume from the bottom of the manifold to the valve. 2.5 L sounds reasonable. I will try 8.6 L (what Holley said 6.1 plus 2.5 ) and see what it does. If I get off my lazy butt and change the manifold tonight. It's nothing more than insurance to get home, I will be drag racing up to 800 miles away from home. I learned a lesson last year with a custom drive shaft.

Tuner in Training
    why does no one update after they test lol