Thread: Stalls in gear new cam, spark, airflow or fuel do not seem to help what am I missing?

Stalls in gear new cam, spark, airflow or fuel do not seem to help what am I missing?

Hey everyone,

I have a 4.8L engine with a 228/230 112LSA .585/.585 camshaft. Also has deka 80lb injectors and 4l80e with a 3600 stall converter.

As soon as I put it into gear it dies.

Any ideas? I have tried increasing and decreasing the base running airflow for idle and smoothed out the idle spark cells for both park and gear so it stays around 18-20*. Also smoothed out the fuel cells below the idle region but it almost seems like a gear specific setting.

Thanks
    ,Shane
    Attached Files Attached Files

I reset the idle airflow and realized I was about 6-7 grams over the factory values. I have reduced them so they are only 2grams above the factory values.

I will try these tomorrow and see if that helps.

If someone comes across this post and has the same issue I found this document by looking through the help section (Who would have thought?)

https://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_ed...mples_idle.htm

Advanced Tuner
    I would suggest the following options to correct it.

adjust your throttle stop or 0% up as to allow more physical air at idle without relying on the IAC. give it enough air so the car will comfortably idle warm in neutral at 850rpm on 8-10degrees.

once the car will do that set idle P/N timing at 800rpm to 10-12 deg. set 0rpm 400rpm to 18deg all the way down.
    copy the 0-800rpm data over to the in gear idle spark table and add 5 degrees in the section pasted in.

you can add base airflow in the gear column. I wouldn't cringe at a 20% difference in P/N values to in gear.

looks to me like the car needs more physical air for the rapid load change at low RPM and reduced manifold vacuum.

by opening the throttle more at idle you'll also put the IAC motor in a range where it doesn't require more bypass than its mechanical maximum. idleing at 8-12 deg timing will also leave a margin for the PCM to add timing to help maintain idle RPM with gear selection

set your target idle rpm in gear 30-50rpm higher than P/N

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman