Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I log AFR with MPVI2?

Advanced Tuner
    I was viewing a Calibrated Success video with a tuner friend. It discusses error correction set up for WB sensor. Setting up different tables (my terminology). I have the AEM 30-0334 WB and MPVI2. My current set up functions flawlessly. Have played around logging and making a few minor changes and writing. Run 93 octane. Installed 2 colder heat range plugs. Can I trust the WB readings or do I need to set it up to correct error? Do I need to wait for the Pro release to allow for additional inputs or can I successfully and accurately log and tune with what I have now? Just not wanting to damage engine due to lean condition or spark knock issues. Any videos, posts, or guidance would be appreciated. 2013 Chev Malibu 2.0L LTG Turbo with 6T70 FWD auto trans.. The info. here seems limited on the Malibu vs. Camaro/ATS/etc..
    Last edited by DGS; 09-01-2018 at 09:36 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    If you are referring to ground offset errors, they do not apply to the 30-0334, while connected via the OBDII interface. That is a digital interface. so, you get digit-for-digit match between the logger and the gauge. If you are worried about sensor wear / calibration, there is a procedure for verifying the sensor that few know about. This only works with the 30-0300, 30-0333 and 30-0334.

( It works with the 30-0310 too, but, you need to know how to read the O2% CAN data, since there is no display )

1. remove the sensor from the exhaust, as if you were going to do a free-air calibration.
    2. cover it with a box or something to shield it from wind/breeze.
    3. Set the gauge to display Oxygen % and 4-digits.
    4. Set the cal mode to r-cal ( not free air )
    5. You should get a number close to 20.5% ( not maxed out at 20.9% )

This tells you how close the sensor is to its factory calibration state. The number should be lower than 20.9% because the factory calibrates the sensors at the equivalent of about +1psig to compensate for exhaust gas back pressure, when in actual use.

The number may be slightly lower, due to altitude temperature, or low barometer reading. Or, a BIT higher, if you are right down at sea level, on a cold day. I have a table, somewhere...

Obviously, if you do a free-air calibration, 1st, the gauge will always read right in free-air. So, you don't really learn anything about the health of the sensor. That's why you have to use the factory cal ( r-cal ) mode for this test.

It is a good idea to do this whenever you have a new sensor, and, record the value. Then you have something to compare to later, under the same conditions.

This should probably be documented, somewhere

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for the reply. I did as you stated. 19.78 r-cal. I'm in Dallas, TX. 600 elevation. I previously installed Innovate Motorsports 3729 extended heat sink so as not to overheat the sensor and keep out of direct exhaust stream. To clarify (assuming I'm using the right terminology), I was referring to the logging of the vehicle after putting in open loop and if their is an error correction table/calculation needed when comparing the factory B1S1 02 reading and the wideband? That way the wideband would accurately read the result of the fuel delivered from the ecm that is utilizing the factory B1S1 02 input. Then one would know if they were getting accurate results? I assume the readings from both have to match to be accurate when changing fuel table cells richer or leaner to dial into 1.0 lambda? Or at least make it easier to hit the target?
    Last edited by DGS; 09-03-2018 at 01:11 AM.

I just purchased a AEM 30-0334 X Series wideband, set it all up and followed the instructions to get it to read, it is working and it is logging my Actual AFR, however there is no values in my AFR Error Histogram on the Graphs. I am really confused on how to make this AFR error work so i can tune my WOT the way i used to. I Have AFR Error (Math) as first parameter and MAF Frequency Sensor as Colomn Axis. With my old MPVI Pro I would use this histogram to log the AFR error and make the adjustments necessary...however with the OBD2 Style Can bus Wideband and my MPVI2 ....The AFR Error HIstogram is empty while in the channels list it is actually logging. Please help!

Advanced Tuner
    Do you have both Air-Fuel Ratio [Sensor] and Air-Fuel Ratio Commanded [Sensor] in your channels list?

Advanced Tuner
    I did as you stated. 19.78 r-cal. I'm in Dallas, TX. 600 elevation.
    That's pretty good. I don't know what the temp & barometer reading was, that day, there. But, going by just straight pressure altitude @85F (guessing), 600ft would be 96.1% of sea level, density. So, 0.961 * 20.5 would give a reading of 19.70 Pretty damned close. Given that, your sensor appears to be in good shape. Any damage or significant wear would give a number much farther off of the ideal calculated value. IIRC, a new sensor is supposed to be about +/-2%

I really should make a database of the readings at various altitudes, with new sensors, to make sure that the formula holds up. The 20.5 number is not written in stone, since I got it at a test elevation of about 100ft.

Tuner in Training
    would the 30-0334 work for a standalone harness on a swap using a 09 g8 OS?

If it is a CAN based vehicle, then yes, that will work. Anything 08+ should be CAN but confirm to be sure.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tutorial on WB setup MPVI1 nd MPVI2

A little light reading.......:-)

Ed M
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    we'll be offering an analog pigtail in the coming weeks as well if you can hold out
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Trying the 0334 in an 07 STS-V, got lambda reading dead on in vcm scanner, but 2 low voltage codes arose for banks 1/2, sensors 1. The car appears to be hitting a cut once PE engages with the obd2 piggyback connected, I haven't gotten a chance to get back to the car to verify that it isn't another issue or try again without the arm obd2 jumper connected. It would be ideal to use the WB CAN input, but if I must I'll begrudgingly go to the a/c sensor analog input. I don't even think the 0334 has a 0-5v pigtail, the customer purchased and installed the WB setup. It almost seems like it lost the ability to see lambda/EQ in PE but drives wonderfully and tracks data perfectly driving normally. Nail the gas and it goes berserk and lean. From the new bank 1 o2 codes I can only assume that there's a relation here. I threw in the towel last night and figured I would sit and think on it/ask you guys. I'm typically a standalone tuner aside from GTR's, I've used earlier versions of hp in the past, but nothing as odd as this particular case.
    This car is an oddball from the get go and I'm pretty sure that someone else may have been in there tweaking things and screwing it up before I was called in for assistance. There's no saved original file that I can reference,I've never seen a LC3 before this one and haven't had a chance to see a solid compare file for that car. It has been relatively consistent prior to the aem gauge install aside from a few mechanical/wiring issues elsewhere,but I'm pretty sure they're straightened out. My gut tells me there's a CAN incompatibility issue, but I'm curious why it only occurs in boost all of a sudden.
    It needs a good lambda input for me to do anything with it, the customer has aspirations of going flex fuel/SD which I always prefer (although that looks daunting with the way the cam tables are and torque management strategy)and so on, I feel like I'm in for a headache, but the customer loves his sc North Star. Seems like anyone who has had one sold it after hitting a power wall. Not much info on these.
    Any logical input or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to get back to the car tomorrow to investigate further. If I'm stuck running it in analog input that's fine, although I would prefer to have that extra resolution. I'm just curious about the soft break on 08 and up, then hearing that some earlier cars get away with it, maybe I'm missing something. I can't wait to unplug it and see what happens but I instructed him not to drive it until I return, for something is surely amiss.

Senior Tuner
    the 0334 should have a analogue output u just have to swap the pins in the plug to use it (if not using can wires can use them cut and relocate in other pins, pin 9 signal & 10 signal earth for analogue output

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    the 0334 should have a analogue output u just have to swap the pins in the plug to use it (if not using can wires can use them cut and relocate in other pins, pin 9 signal & 10 signal earth for analogue output
    I'll try one more thing this weekend for can bus then I'm going analog if all else fails. Sigh. This damned car. I always get the weird ones.