Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Professional Tuners, do you Lock your tunes?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    1. we don't offer tunerlocking on any gen 5 ecm's to my knowledge so if you are looking at locking gen 5's you won't be able to even if you wanted
    2. locking them is up to you the tuner, if you lock it and you provide a shitty tune or the customer moves, does more mods and wants it tuned at a different shop be aware that customer will likely be pissed when he finds out he needs to spend another $500 or $1000 on a new ecm because you locked it, even if you tell him ahead of time you are locking it. With that said its a hotly debated topic with us being stuck in the middle, do what you want
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    1. we don't offer tunerlocking on any gen 5 ecm's to my knowledge so if you are looking at locking gen 5's you won't be able to even if you wanted
    2. locking them is up to you the tuner, if you lock it and you provide a shitty tune or the customer moves, does more mods and wants it tuned at a different shop be aware that customer will likely be pissed when he finds out he needs to spend another $500 or $1000 on a new ecm because you locked it, even if you tell him ahead of time you are locking it. With that said its a hotly debated topic with us being stuck in the middle, do what you want
    Hi Bill,

Just poking in checking out the software (I haven't purchased it as of yet). If a tune is locked can you overwrite it? Or is the read a map function disabled? Also if a map is locked can the Tuner send a unlocked version to a customer to flash onto the vehicle.
    Also can the original tuner offer to send a unlock version.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by podium View Post
    Im going to start offering my tuning services and was wondering if I should lock my tunes. I put a lot of time and effort into tuning and really dont want others to profit from it. The local tuners files I have read pretty much focus on WOT, raise the idle high to keep it running kinda crap. I want to set myself apart and actually offer a full tuning experience.

I of course be up front about this and Im sure most would understand. I would also offer to reflash the pcm with an unlocked file if they wanted to go somewhere else.

What are others thoughts? I know some are very pro and some are very against it.
    Please DO NOT LOCK YOUR TUNE. Each time I come across a luck tune I automatically think rape/crap tune. Who care if someone use it, most of the time will work poorly

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    I didnt think you ould lock gen3 or 4 stuff with HPT anymore either?
    Factory Stock 97 SS M6 13.51 @ 104.3 mph
    Stock Longblock LS1 w/ 233/238 P.S.I. Cam
    10.81 @ 126.9 Full interior, six speed on 275 radials, a decade ago

'99 TA trunk mounted 76mm 6 Liter
    9.0s in '09 @ 153 MPH

Turbo 5.3 Volvo 740 Wagon
    32psi and still winding out 5th on the highway somewhere

Tuner in Training
    locking a tune i feel is silly because every car is different in fueling and timing it likes. A good tuner makes the right changes to make the safest and most powerful combo which a copy and paste will never give you that.

I dont even know how to lock it lol.

Ive come across a couple cars that the shops have used proprietary software that locks us out.