Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14 f150 3.5 ecoboost stock boost psi

Advanced Tuner

14 f150 3.5 ecoboost stock boost psi

What boost levels do these trucks make stock?

These vehicles are torque based, so its going to depend on what it needs as far as boost to make that torque number it desires. It may take 13psi to make 420 ft lbs of torque in 30 degree weather, where as in 100 degree weather it may take 16psi to make the same 420 ft lbs of torque. From what I see on average of a stock truck, it peaks around 14 psi, and tapers off to around 10 psi or so until it hits the cat temp protection, which Ive seen drop the load down even more making about 8 psi or so.

Advanced Tuner
    are they use the throttle to control boost correct?

They use the throttle and the wastegate to control boost.

Advanced Tuner
    what is the correct way to tune these? is it better to tune the waste gate or the throttle so it stops closing and makes the boost jump around? working on a mild tune and just trying to see the nest direction to go

When I first started tuning these, the general conscious was to tune the wastegate and the throttle body to keep it open for whatever boost psi that you wanted. Honestly, the vehicle behaved badly this way and keeping a certain boost wasn't so easy from day to day. For quite a while now I focus on a certain torque requirement based on rpm and let the computer control boost to whatever it wants to make the amount of torque I want, and additionally since I tow a boat also, I limit my boost to a max of 17 psi. I would suggest forgetting about making a certain psi, and letting the throttle and wastegate control boost in the manor that It wants to. I and many others have found that this works a lot better and to me it's a lot easier.

Advanced Tuner
    ok thank you that's great info, yea just looking to get a bit more power and throttle response out of it, it is used to pull a 9000lb camper a hour away at times so more down low torque would help. where do you go it to limit the boost amount in the turbo settings? how did you learn how to properly tune these ? the tuning school ecoboost classes or something else?

These guides were written around the transverse 3.5 found in the Taurus SHO, but will give you a good overview and getting started. https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-Tuning-Guides
    2016 Ford Explorer Sport - 3.5L EcoBoost
    2006 Ford F150 Lariat - 5.4L 3V (315,000 miles )

Advanced Tuner
    just having a hard time looking through the turbo tab trying to see where it shows a max boost that it will see, just trying to learn all the tabs.

Engine>Airflow>Pressure Control>Throttle Inlet Pressure The Max Pressure, and Max vs turbo airflow tab.

Advanced Tuner
    thank you

Advanced Tuner
    when im done I need to post my tune and see if anyone thinks its ok

That Max TIP vs Airflow table doesn't seem to work. I've never had success using it on the SHO or on the newer TC-1797. The Max TIP scalar is more important. I found on the SHO that I can limit boost using that. The transverse 3.5 is a different engine from your F-150's 3.5, but the pre-15 trucks used a very similar ECU strategy as the 2014 SHO, so the guide I wrote should help more with your 2014 F-150 than say a 2015-up EcoBoost

Advanced Tuner
    a lot of the demand settings and tables in there seems to be set to high,, just looking to run on 93 and get some improved throttle response and some more low and midrange power to help pull a 28 foot camper that's about it. so im not sure how much of that I need to change

Advanced Tuner
    So basically leave all the spark settings and turbo settings factory and raise the limiters as needed and command more power?

Advanced Tuner
    so where does the commanded power actually come from? is it the driver demand or the scheduled torque table? or do they about work hand in hand. I attached my current tune.2014f150econewtestune93throttlestktranstrqueincrease.hpt

it starts at the driver demand table. the torque value requested is looked up in the torque tables and aligns with a load value. the turbo, throttle, spark lead, etc work together to achieve that load and torque value.

Advanced Tuner
    ThNk you.

I found with the 2014 SHO that the driver demand = requested torque. This is not the case with 2015-up EcoBoost. The 2017 Fusion Sport, for example, can have the stock driver demand table and still command over 400 ft-lb of torque. But you are dealing with a 2014 F-150, which last I looked, was very similar to the 2014 SHO. I'd increase driver demand to whatever you need to request (start small over stock if you are doing a tow-only tune). Then increase the torque limiters and then set the max TIP scalar to the appropriate boost level (remember that this scalar is absolute pressure, so boost + 14.5 psi). I use 14.5 psi because it is between 14.2 and 14.8 psi and the actual barometer changes because it is the weather.

I'm still not sure why you are even bothering with a tune on that F-150 if all you are doing is towing with 87 octane fuel, with zero access to E85 and not intending to use 93 octane fuel. Even with 93 octane fuel only, you will be severely knock limited as soon as you increase boost levels.

And if you ask my honest opinion, I feel the pre-15 EcoBoost was easier to tune. The 15-up EcoBoost (not sure when Explorer Sport and SHO changed or if they did change, but possibly 18-up for those D3/D4 cars) is bit more complex and not intuitive. I won't see any errors with my tuned 2014 SHO but on the Fusion Sport, every single error pops up but the throttle remains open, fuel pressure looks good, etc... And it was a hassle trying to find every single little torque limiter that Ford snuck in there. What didn't help was HPTuners selectively defines parameters, and even they are aware that a lot of the EcoBoost vehicles do things differently with respect to torque limiters. The Fusion Sport had a unique scalar for max torque that the F-150 did not use. The F-150 has several torque tables that aren't used on the Fusion Sport. SCT generally has more of the parameters unlocked/defined from the get-go, sometimes TOO many parameters are available to the tuner, but it'd be faster to experiment with more settings rather than submit a parameter request and wait.
    Last edited by metroplex; 06-22-2018 at 03:55 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    No E85 around but have been running 93 in it now and it’s been good so far , definitely feels more responsive and stronger then stock on the current tune posted. Would like to have a seperate one to tow when’re basically I just realize the limiters but leave spark tables and boost tables alone so the ecu controls it how it wants too but just to be able to command a bit more power. Is 1 or 2 lbs more of boost too much for 93?