Thread: Car wants to stall and misfires at idle in gear

Tuner in Training

Car wants to stall and misfires at idle in gear

Hello, I have a strange issue where my pcm thinks its in gear all of the time. I have yet to figure out why aside from purchasing a new PCM and dropping another $100 on credits which I am reluctant to do. This has made idle tuning harder than I think it should be. I ran the base idle airflow in park and got the car idling good, pasted the results into the base idle airflow p/n and also in gear. I then added 2g/sec to each box across the board for in gear as I assume it will need more air to idle. I'd like to also point out that my airflow numbers seem much higher than most peoples maybe hinting at a problem? I attached my log of when i put the car in gear and will explain exactly what I was doing. When I put the car in gear, my wideband starts to climb lean until it maxes out which I believe is a misfire vs actually that lean because i dont think it would run in the +22:1 range. My rpms also dip to around 400-500, timing drops to around zero and negative at times. I then use the special functions tool and set the timing around 12 and the idle feels better, car starts to pull through the brakes a little, I then take off the spark timing. Next i put the car in park and the car revs to 1700rpm ish and the idle trims drop to compensate eventually bringing the rpms back down. The car has been boost leak checked and is completely leak free. I think the issue is the PCM's inability to determine park vs in gear but maybe something can be done with the current tune? The car runs great off idle and i have been ve tuning it but i have to pull to neutral at stops to prevent stalling. Please let me know if you see any obvious issues i can change in my tune. Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2010 Camaro SS 6spd
    1979 Mustang - 5.3, 243 heads, Sloppy stg 2 Cam, On3 78/75 turbo, 4l80e, built 8.8

Tuner in Training
    Well, found out it was switching from closed loop in neutral to open loop in gear. I redid my base running airflow in neutral open loop and my base running airflow numbers dropped significantly (idle trims and other things were throwing them off). I thought this would be the issue but its still pegging out the wideband lean when i engage gear closed throttle idling and gets quieter and idles lower. It seems like it will hold idle okay but the lean indication tells me its either so rich its reading false lean or its truly lean. I dont suspect its actually lean because when I add fuel it runs worse. I also had to make my spark minimum advance 10 in the idle area otherwise it drops very low and doesnt want to run. Is it safe to keep taking out fuel in the idle area? Do I have other issues? Please take a look if you have a chance. My log shows it idling in neutral, drop it into gear and it goes lean, then pull back to neutral and rpms hang.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2010 Camaro SS 6spd
    1979 Mustang - 5.3, 243 heads, Sloppy stg 2 Cam, On3 78/75 turbo, 4l80e, built 8.8

Tuner in Training
    Anyone?
    2010 Camaro SS 6spd

Advanced Tuner
    are you meaning to run your car in open loop? maybe pop it in closed loop and just start by getting the trims in line if theyre not.
    does it ever read park like maybe for a few secs real quick or no? how long has it been doing the read d4 only? if you put it in neutral does it read p/n or stays d4? i dont see anything in the tcm for prindle choice like some other tcms allow so maybe its normal and your just noticing. is there a different pid you can try maybe? just trying to gather some more info

and could you put up an idle log without hitting any override features just as the car is doing its thing doing like a min or two in park then in gear and back to park
    and can you log iac counts also

whats your current mod list
    but if its still stalling out or idling too low you probably need to add more to the in gear base idle airflow numbers - ive had to increase idle air by 50% sometimes for cars with large cams to keep them idling
    Last edited by TCSS07; 06-28-2018 at 09:27 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Idling.hpl

I had it in open loop specifically to not have anything mess with it while trying to get my base running airflow figured out with it in gear. I've added fuel in the idle area of the VE, taken away fuel, nothing seems to make it happy lol, wideband completely maxes out lean. I bought a new 0411 computer hoping that would have the PRNDL status but it sadly doesnt either. I was told by my harness company that may be the cause. My mod list is in the sig, it has a mild cam. I took another log with iac position, desired etc. The log shows me idling in park (its still warming up so its in open loop), then you can see it leans way out and idles down when put into gear, i eventually pull it out of gear, iac position is high so it idles way up and then eventually settles. I also set my minimum spark advance to 10 so it will not stall (it tries to go negative). I am at a loss on this one, its driving me nuts and I dont want to take it to the tuner this way lol.
    2010 Camaro SS 6spd

Advanced Tuner
    your car is knocking pretty bad at idle and when the idle goes to 10 degrees are you commanding that with the scanner
    trying lower the idle spark to 22 degrees
    i would get those iac counts down its idling at 184 - try to get that down closer to 100-120 - depending on cam aggressiveness - maybe 60-100 - because its already past 50% its work scale and when you put it in gear it needs to work that much harder because of the extra load
    Last edited by TCSS07; 06-29-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Also, even with a mild cam you need to have a little bigger stall speed. The cars going to try an push through an continue to add base air to keep it from lugging.....is it a stock converter?

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the suggestions, I went ahead and adjusted my throttle screw, got the iac counts down to about 90 at operating temp, i also slotted my tps and got the voltage back down to .57 volts at idle. I believe the knock retard is false knock and my sensors are too sensitive, i can hear no audible knocking. I will try adjusting the timing a little bit and see if it affects the knock retard though just to be sure. I set my minimum spark advance at 10 in the idle area just so it would stay running better for a scan in gear. I adjusted my idle rpm in gear slightly lower than p/n, did a base airflow scan to get my numbers again since my adjustments. As I suspected, my car was referencing the in gear idle rpm while in park.... So it is using all the in gear idle corrections when in park and doesnt know its changing state when i slam it in gear. I just dont know why....

Thats almost how it feels but it does have a nice circle d triple disk with a higher stall speed
    2010 Camaro SS 6spd