Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Controller Unlocker: timed out

Tuner in Training
    Any update on this? I have the same situation on NGC4 seems that is a common bug.

Potential Tuner
    I had the same issue today and that's why I am on this thread.

2012 camaro ss E38 mpv1

I got the message and tried multiple times to write it, then switched USB ports as that has helped in previous times.

That didn't work so I:

● rebooted the laptop (nope)
    ● hit stop on the controller a few times (nope)
    ● unplugged the obd2 cable and cycled the ignition. (Nope)
    ● let the ecm shut down and tried again (nope)
    ● Started the car and tried again (Nope)

Then it wouldn't start and I really got worried and started my crazy process over again.

● I re-synced the unit from the help menu. (nope)

After all of this I just keeper hitting "write" over and over and I finally went all the way.

This has happened to me a few times in the past and is very scary when it does happen. I have NOT found a solution to this and have used different laptops with similar results.

I came to this thread hoping to find a solution but it seems that all I can do is share in the misery.

I love hptuners when it's working but when this happens it makes me freak out.

Have one that will currently that will maybe write once every 25 tries so frustrating even does it on bench harness. Is taking me way longer than normal to tune over the issues

Potential Tuner

Same add me too

Quote Originally Posted by Mstansbury0704 View Post
    Add me to this list as well. 2000 ws6. Hand held scanner would read car hptuners would show controller unlocker error.
    Reinstalled everything thinking that was is. Started to erase then failed. Now car is a brick won?t start and handheld can?t connect now.
    I can open my vcm scanner and hit the space bar it will connect to my car read everything it shows my vin everything just like it should be go over to my editor and nothing no matter what I have tried keeps kicking me out about 43.3% of acquiring access shows
    Unlocked timed out x37 and says failed now my vet is dead in the garage it will spin over but will
    Not start no matter what I do
    Please any help I am using the the 2 and I don?t have the pro

Advanced Tuner
    This has happened to me a couple times. If I wait until underhood temps cool or wait until next day I get 1 shot at updating tune/day. I am not sure if heat has anything to do with it or just letting everything go to sleep long enough, then it writes. I didn't have a spare ECM in case it failed but write entire was recommended. Write calibration has always written after waiting until next day ....so far.
    03 Silverado 4x4 2500 w/CAI and LT.
    2000 Silverado 1500 with 4.8 to 5.3engine swap both had troubles. Long lasting thread-issue. I thought it was software since I tuned that 03 truck a few months before and no issue, until 4.4.xx update. Im not saying it was HPT just didn't have the issue before then. Too many variables and too random user experiences to blame HPT.

Potential Tuner
    I had issues reading and writing with my unit as well, opened a ticket with HP and they showed me that I need to pull certain fuses in order to squelch noise in the system conflicting with the read/write of the MVPII I located the fuses (5 of them) and marked them, now every time I read I automatically pull them and haven't had an issue since. Mine is a 2005 6.0 Hummer

Advanced Tuner
    That would be great. Next time you need to do it would you take a picture with fuse labels? I don't have any aftermarket stereo stuff in this truck, i know that causes issues sometimes. I normally just need pull 2 for stock radio/amp. 5 fuses, please update thread, i can't think of which 5 but glad it worked.

The silverado I was having issues with was finally remedied by cleaning up grounds at rear of head. I had a L5P that would lock up during access phase that was due to too slow of an internet connection at the shop I was doing it for.

Hey Kevin I. Working on a 07 hummer having the same issue. What where the fuses

Tuner in Training
    Having same issue. It also turns on my Check Engine Light (U107) Lost Communication to Throttle Actuator.

You?d figure for the amount of money it costs, this system would be flowing smoothly.

Advanced Tuner
    I would not be too quick to blame hpt, it's your car has lost communication between the throttle pedal and the throttle body. Usually it's resistance, maybe some water has gotten into the connections / modules. All you have to do is clear your codes it'll start right up. If it happens again it usually only happens 1st time after a write file. You would not want a run-a-way throttle so car shuts it down if it does not know where tb is.

Tuner in Training
    Yup, I cleared the code generated from attempting to read and it no longer ran rough.

I finally did get it to read, but when got the control unlocker timed out during the write, now it won?t start at all.

What can I do to get it running again? Is the ecu bricked?

Advanced Tuner
    No, not bricked unless you were doing a write entire. At this point it has erased the tune file and would read nothing. Restart laptop and wait till it fully launches Windows.

Wait about 4hrs or more if hot. Next day works most times. If you had the scanner running and forgot to disconnect from scanner before writing tune file, you may have this happen too. I have found that corroded wires or an amp draw starts the corruption and it manifests itself randomly. Make sure when you start to write the tune you have full battery voltage, even hook to a battery charger is a good idea. Also after write, turn key off and wait 10 seconds or so, key on and wait a couple seconds before starting.

Good luck,
    hondaeater

Tuner in Training
    Ok, that?s a relief. I?ll hook it up to a charger, luckily I?m parked close enough where an extension cord will likely reach.

I let the truck sit overnight with that battery unplugged, scanner unplugged.

Where should I check for corroded wires?

Potential Tuner
    Hey did you figure anything out on the U107 during the write? Mine does the same exact thing, I ran a ground wire from the battery to the tac module and it fixed it for about an hour and now it?s back to throwing the code again.

Advanced Tuner
    Tell us about the TB. Is it stock?

I also had forgotten I had the scanner running a previous log when it happened. But I think it was the relay more than the scanner personally but that is random too

Potential Tuner
    I'm having the same issue, I'm surprised I have not ruined the ECM with the amount of retries I have done, Eventually it does write though. We all need a solution. Any and all feedback will help in solving this problem.

Potential Tuner
    Greetings all,

I, too, has the same issue first time uploading to my 04 Cadillac Escalade. Write failed resulting in no crank and no comms with a scan tool. I contacted the HP Support team and this is what they sent...

"Many older vehicles are equipped with VPW protocol for internal communication. This communication protocol is sensitive to noise and as the wiring ages it can become increasingly susceptible to noise. Many of the internal systems create noise that we can see in the Debug. In these cases we recommend putting the ECM on a bench harness to isolate it from the rest of the vehicle.

If you are unable to use a bench harness we recommend removing the fuses of the systems that are causing noise. Common Systems that make noise and fuses to remove are:

Entertainment
    ABS
    Convenience
    Restraints
    Displays
    Climate

With that removed you can attempt a write to the ECM to attempt recovery. If the write continues to fail, you can attempt to recover the ECM with a j2534/sps tool"

I removed any fuses related to the CANBUS lines that wasn't Powertrain related and it worked. The rewrite took ~ 30 secs. Started up just fine. I'm back on the road. This is what I will be doing from now on.

I would like to thank the folks as HPTuner Support for the assistance and look forward to getting involved in the tuner community.

Have a good'un,

Quote Originally Posted by LQ9orbust View Post
    I removed any fuses related to the CANBUS
    Class2, a.k.a. VPW, a.k.a. 'low speed bus', not CAN. There's no CAN on any Gen 3 (P01/P59) stuff.