Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Controller Unlocker: timed out

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Proelky View Post
    I verified firmware prior to writing a 2000 TA. Key on, waited 15sec, tried to write and VCM crashed.

Now VCM crashes or error stating controller unlocker timed out.

I?ve verified system voltage, changed usb cords, and tried a different computer...

Car will not start and I cannot connect to scanner now.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Add me to this list as well. 2000 ws6. Hand held scanner would read car hptuners would show controller unlocker error.
    Reinstalled everything thinking that was is. Started to erase then failed. Now car is a brick won’t start and handheld can’t connect now.

Tuner in Training
    I'm another victim. Just happened. Tried unplugging the battery for 30 mins. Loads the tune part way and then VCM crashes and shuts down completely.

Well, I've been dealing with this for weeks. 2 bricked 411 PCM's. Same errors listed here. They had me UPS my MPVI2 back to them. They said they "fixed" it. Got it back... 2 more bricked PCM's. I'm pissed. Also, this probably won't get posted because the moderators won't post anything that is a "problem". HP Tuners also wont tell you what they "fixed" or publish anything that is a confirmed fix. Has ANYONE got a solution?? I'm about ready to call an attorney over the money and time I have into this with no results and no solution from HP.

I was on this list, my mpvi2 gave me controller unlocker error after my second time flashing. I was freaking out as my car was screwed till I got this fixed. I reached out to hp tuners support. They got back to me in 24 hours, fixed it within 48 hours and I never had to mail it away. If you're having this error and haven't reached out to support, you are causing yourself unnecessary grief.
    Last edited by Gpargament; 08-23-2018 at 04:20 PM.

Tuner in Training
    For those of you that are bricking ECMs, you can mail your ECM away and have it unbricked by http://www.pcmcalibrators.net/

I also noticed sometimes my scanner will crash the same way the the editor does. So now what I do with writing calibrations is I scan first and record for 10 secs. If it connects and works I close the scanner and open VCM Editor without disconnecting any cables. Then write.

If the scanner crashes, close all programs, disconnect all cables, and try scanning again before writing.

Tuner in Training
    Same issue here, somehow got it to write now im back in the hole. immobilized.

Tuner in Training
    just posted my own thread on a very similar subject, is everyone in this thread using the mpvi2 ? i had the exactly same thing happen on a 05 ctsv p59 ecm with mpvi1
    98 camaro - ls1, turbo , t56, 9" rear, viking coilovers, umi tubular components, weld wheels
    54 chevy 3100 - 5.3, 10bolt, 4 link, coilover setup, custom tubular frame members
    92 miata death cart

Tuner in Training
    just Bricked a Customers 03 GMC
    I should have picked on something was wrong when it took 20 min to read the pcm
    Then on the write , with only TCC changes it gave me the timed out error
    Now there is no connecting at all scanner says cant detect the protocal (sp)

Tuner in Training
    Ok I had this exact same issue and this was my fix I hope it helps. Click the help drop down and click resync interface after clicking this it will download a new firmware that came out in the past couple of months. After that I shut down my software and unhooked everything and tried again everything worked perfect and tuned my truck. I have a mvpi2 and it was on a 2007 suburban.

Potential Tuner
    I just posted a similar issue on HP Tuners/Facebook this AM. No response as of now. I flashed a change to fan settings this morning. Did not get any indicator there was issue at all. Finished the write calibration and cycled the ignition power. Went to start the car back up and received a VATS message, no engine start. Against my better judgement I went back in, disabled VATS patch 1 and 2, wrote entire. It 'worked' as I was able to drive the car home, no issue. Unfortunately I seem to have a 2013 ATS without any anti theft as a result. I had to keep hitting the ignition button w/o depressing the clutch to keep ignition on long enough to complete the process. If I did not the CUE system would remain lit and dash lights would go out and I would get a failure during the reading or writing process.
    I hope this helps! BTW the ATS seems to be a bit of a conundrum, any suggestions on experienced users or information would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by 1328115898 View Post
    I just posted a similar issue on HP Tuners/Facebook this AM. No response as of now. I flashed a change to fan settings this morning. Did not get any indicator there was issue at all. Finished the write calibration and cycled the ignition power. Went to start the car back up and received a VATS message, no engine start. Against my better judgement I went back in, disabled VATS patch 1 and 2, wrote entire. It 'worked' as I was able to drive the car home, no issue. Unfortunately I seem to have a 2013 ATS without any anti theft as a result. I had to keep hitting the ignition button w/o depressing the clutch to keep ignition on long enough to complete the process. If I did not the CUE system would remain lit and dash lights would go out and I would get a failure during the reading or writing process.
    I hope this helps! BTW the ATS seems to be a bit of a conundrum, any suggestions on experienced users or information would be great!
    Same thing here.... Finally read ECU and then won't fire Fuel pump now... Error message right of for writing ECU. All I wanted was the damn VATS off... FFS!
    The new website is terribly user unfriendly.
    I was use to the old site... Could zip through stuff quickly.
    Now It's like a easter egg hunt.
    Fixed the problem. (Below)
    ~Scott
    Last edited by UR50SLO; 01-01-2019 at 06:23 AM.

Updated software to latest version... Same thing.

Pulled battery cable.. let it sit awhile. Fuel pump and fan came back on.

Was able to write it after that and we have a running car now.

Never had that happen.
    Last edited by UR50SLO; 01-01-2019 at 06:24 AM.

This happened to me a while back on vcm version 3.5 but it only happened on a trailblazer ss, and not all the time. After turning the key on and off it would work. He had an issue with the fuse box and after fixing it never got the message again.

Tuner in Training
    Controller unlocker timed out, currently my situation. Support ticket submitted 172923. No solution as of yet.

Potential Tuner
    I had the same issue on a S/C 6.0L Hummer a few months ago. I have the MPVI1, with that specific one I had to write in Low Speed. IDK if that's an option on the new interface.

Tuner in Training
    I have "unlocker error timed out" many the times with mpvi2 and 18 Camaro. Often, I can tell it to "write" not select "cancel" , and it will recover itself and write tune. If it does not recover, I must crawl to trunk battery for disconnecting and wait a few min.

Tuner in Training
    Can you explain this a little clearer please?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily89 View Post
    I have "unlocker error timed out" many the times with mpvi2 and 18 Camaro. Often, I can tell it to "write" not select "cancel" , and it will recover itself and write tune. If it does not recover, I must crawl to trunk battery for disconnecting and wait a few min.

Tuner in Training
    I’ve emailed several times with my support ticket, but response is very slow if at all and not all questions are answered. Very poor customer service. Just had to order my third pcm.

Tuner in Training
    I am most sorry coryk, english is my third language, Im unsure how to write my message more clearly...

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily89 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by coryk View Post
    Can you explain this a little clearer please?
    Quote Originally Posted by coryk View Post
    I?ve emailed several times with my support ticket, but response is very slow if at all and not all questions are answered. Very poor customer service. Just had to order my third pcm.

I am fairly certain that what Emily is trying to say is, when they writes a file and have an issue they select the cancel flash option to bail out of the process. HPT has included a flash recovery option into its software updates for this year which allows the ecu to be recovered to the previous setting although the flashing process was manually canceled. Sometimes it does not work so she manually performs a voltage supply reset on the ecu and tries again to read the computer.
    Maybe Emily can comment on the attempt at clarification.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman