Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Controller Unlocker: timed out

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    I am fairly certain that what Emily is trying to say is, when they writes a file and have an issue they select the cancel flash option to bail out of the process. HPT has included a flash recovery option into its software updates for this year which allows the ecu to be recovered to the previous setting although the flashing process was manually canceled. Sometimes it does not work so she manually performs a voltage supply reset on the ecu and tries again to read the computer.
    Maybe Emily can comment on the attempt at clarification.
    YES! Thank you most kindly!!

Potential Tuner
    Same exact issue here... 2003 GMC Yukon, bone stock, just trying to get rid of VATS and some torque management.... I've already flashed once and had the same issue, to fix it that time I plugged back into the original USB port and it worked. This time no dice, I've replaced my battery in my truck tried different laptops, different Stock tunes I grabbed from my own truck before I started tinkering. This time I attempted to go back to my original stock file, it said connecting, then loading boot loader, and finally erasing, which then it failed. Now my truck is sitting at Big Lots and I need to get this fixed. I've pulled radio fuse, srs fuse, and I've opened a trouble ticket ..... Tick tock tick tock. Ive downloaded the latest drivers from the website, I've tried the Beta version, different USB cables , different ports. My Trouble ticket is # 173992

Tuner in Training
    May I ask what kind of laptop you have? Model? Windows version?

Potential Tuner
    I've tried two different laptops with windows 7 Pro, a HP and a DELL. And An HP with Windows 10 Pro, all three with the same results.

Potential Tuner
    I am really hoping the lack of response, is due to it being a holiday weekend? I am reading countless number of people having similar issues and very few responses from HPTuners... I have pulled every fuse that was nonessential. Ive checked voltage on the OBDii port everything seems fine. Prior to the failed write I was logging and scanning just fine for weeks. Once this write failed nothing sees my OBDii port. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tuner in Training
    They had me ship them the first pcm that was bricked. They ordered another with my vehicle software and are doing "testing" to see why the write failed. Two weeks now with a dead vehicle. They Have not responded as of yet.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Camochevyman View Post
    Ok I had this exact same issue and this was my fix I hope it helps. Click the help drop down and click resync interface after clicking this it will download a new firmware that came out in the past couple of months. After that I shut down my software and unhooked everything and tried again everything worked perfect and tuned my truck. I have a mvpi2 and it was on a 2007 suburban.
    this worked for me!!

Tuner in Training
    This same fault is happening to me.....

I just downloaded and purchased the vehicle I'm working on. Tried writing to disable VATS and change the fuel pump from variable PWM to fixed to get the correct signal to drive relay. Just doing a swap and trying to get things changed to start the vehicle.

Not sure but maybe I didn't actually download and purchase the correct vehicle, I'm pretty green at this.... ?

I don't even get the option to read the vehicle, just write. It acts like it does not even start the writing process before it fails.

Any advice?

Thanks

Tuner in Training
    Same thing here - "Controller Unlocker: Timed out."

2010 CTSV it will write to the E67 ECU and then pauses for 15 seconds. Tries to write the T43 TCM calibration and after about 2 seconds throws the "Controller Unlocker: Timed Out".

I checked the resistance on the ODBII pins 6 and 14. I am getting 65-66 ohms of resistance which from my research is too high. 58-62 ohm is desired range.

How can it read and write the ECM every time but fail on the TCM every time if the Hi speed LAN is having problems communicating? (40+ attempts of several days of troubleshooting.)

Car starts and will move but it is stuck in limp mode (3 gear) and the dash is lit up like a Christmas outdoor display.

Any help or guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    I just updated HPTuners to 4.4.4.0 and no change in behavior. The upgrade even updated the firmware on the interface.

Last edited by theheder; 01-07-2020 at 11:07 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Hi everyone, I will be investigating this Controller Unlocker Time Out issue. I have several test ECU's to mess with and Im going to investigate between 2 identical units and test on an oscilloscope. I fix damage electronics and had several people contact me about this issue. I have a little down time so hopefully I can find out a solution and make a repair guide when successful.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BRUT4L View Post
    Hello simple2me...????..I could have written this myself this afternoon.

The exact same thing happened to me today. Everything was downloading fine and then it stopped and the nice green line was giving me the progress and then everything stopped.

I now have a Controller Unlocker: Timed out message in the Vehicle Writer dialog box and a FAILED next to my Hardware type.

My dash lights up but the car is dead...???..it won't start.

The car we are talking about is a GM Cadillac ATS-V.

Where are you at now w/ this issue?

Can you give me any ideas on what to do?

Can anyone out there help me...??..because when my wife finds out I screwed up my $75K ATS-V I will be a Dead Man Walking.

Regards
    Same thing happened to me on my ATS-V today. Did you get it fixed and how?? Thanks

Potential Tuner
    Just happened to me. I used the Resync interface and now is working like normal again.

Potential Tuner
    I am brand new to hp tuners and had the same problem happened to me the very first time I used it I posted to the hp tuners group on facebook and I did what they said and unhooked the battery for 20 minutes or so and that got me to where the truck would run through everything and start to write the pcm and then it would pop up failed a guy from the group told me to pull my pcm out and put it into another truck luckily enough my wife has an 03 chevy Tahoe so I pulled out my pcm and stuck it in her Tahoe and it didn't miss a beat wrote the pcm and finished and it was good to go I pulled it out of my wifes Tahoe stuck it in my truck and runs as it should I have not tried to do any changes to my truck and re write it im a little scared to be honest. sorry my truck is a 03 chevy Silverado 4.8 with a p59 pcm and I understand I kind of lucked out with the fact my wifes Tahoe is the same year as mine and idk that it has to be to swap ecms but the way I understood it is I pretty much just used my wifes truck as a bench harness? idk but I wanted to post this in here so I hope it helps somebody cause I know I was scared to death that I had ruined my ecm.

Edit: I?m getting the same thing again with the controller unlocker timed out I decided I?d try it again this
    Week it seems like with me it is hit in and miss I got it to work twice on my truck out of literally 20 times of trying to write it had to pull out pcm and put it in my wife?s Tahoe it worked this second time after about 10 times doing the write now this last time it does the same thing gets to
    Erasing in the write process and times out and reads the controller unlocker message until I u hook the battery and rest it still no luck this go around I?ll let you guys
    Know what the outcome is
    Last edited by bnkc08; 08-28-2020 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Problem still exists

Tuner in Training
    What I have noticed is the vehicles modules hibernate after x time.
    i just push start button to turn vehicle acc back on quickly when it takes longer than 1min 30 secs like a trans flash ( without foot on brake KOEO)
    or Put e brake on put vehicle in neutral if auto and flash. will keep modules alive.
    hope this helps.

Potential Tuner
    Oh man, I have a pit in my stomach.

First time hptune user. 2000 Chevy Malibu.

I disconnected aftermarket radio before starting. Completed a read, saved file. Made some mods, saved new tune and tried to write. Said "erasing" for a bit, chimes dinged, then the dreaded "controller unlocked timed out".

Car now cranks but will not fire up or start. I tried recycling the interface to no avail.

Have I bricked my car? Is there any way to even get back to original state?

Feeling ill!

Potential Tuner
    Update.

Fortunately, disconnect / reconnect of battery restored things to original state.

I tried again after disabling aftermarket remote start. I successfully was able to write twice but it took a few attempts of disconnect / reconnect battery, restart process. I have noticed that if "erasing" takes more than a few seconds i wind up with the timeout issue and have to go through entire cycle with battery disconnect, etc. My third write attempt has been unsuccessful after multiple cycles.

Definitely something wierd going on but glad it did not brick the PCM.

Potential Tuner
    Initially send my PCM into the tuner, he flashed it, then because it wasn't perfect I decided to buy hP Tuners from him and he could help me dial it in. I read the first time I used it, worked perfect. Sent that and My Data logs to him. He sent me a new file, I loaded it no issue, Now he wants to see how we are doing and it won't read. Tried multiple times, keeps timing out and fails, then derates the Car. I have to clear the DTC to get it running again. Code it throws after it times out and fails has something to do with losing comm to the throttle control. Why won't my unit read?? HP Help!

Is it all problems by software? Does it has solution for like that situations?

I've had the exact same problem on my 07 Dodge Magnum NGC4 since I got my MPVI2. It's always a gamble on whether or not it is going to work. I also have a problem with the scanner reading depending on underhood temps. The two issues seem to go hand in hand. If the scanner won't connect, I don't attempt to load a tune. Funny thing is I can connect/read/write/scan my 04 SRT4 NGC3 and it works 100% of the time regardless of conditions.

UPDATE: Currently (1 Nov 2021) have not been able to connect (read/write/scan) NGC4 for over a month now. Checked wiring, fuses, grounds, disconnected battery, stereo, pcm, tcm, obd. Temperature, ambient or ect doesn't seem to play a role. Downloaded latest firmware still no improvement. Only worsened with time. NGC3 still connects flawlessly.
    Last edited by Big Rat; 11-01-2021 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Update