Thread: gen 3 5.3 with ls2 cam/243 heads - base spark tune?

Potential Tuner

gen 3 5.3 with ls2 cam/243 heads - base spark tune?

I'm lookin to see if anyone else has a good spark map for a 5.3 running a LS2 cam? Ive adjusted my original file, had knock here and there. then i tried using a base 5.7 LS2 map, but it seems like im working more to get it back into the window, yet still cant get rid of the knock upon throttle release. I've done many runs up and down the road (2 tanks of full and many laptop batteries later) and still fighting it. I know the best way to get this would be to put on the dyno, but they dont have one close enough to me. Any help would be great.
    also, how is the decay rate listed?

03 C1500
    4.8 to 5.3 convertion
    LS2 cam, 243 ported heads, flat top 10:1, 08 tbss intake & TB
    intake/shorty headers
    2800 stall TC

log 5 201806012 knock tune.hplLVL 1 201806012 knock learn ls2 base.hpt

Fix the fueling before even do any more timing adjustments.

Look at those fuel trims. They are all over the place showing how far off everything is. Look at how much they swing, LTFT are way up around +18-25 or more, the short term trims are adding or removing well over 20% at time. Focus on tuning the MAF/VE with a wideband then worry about knock if it's still present.

Seems like you've wasted a lot of time and fuel for nothing right now.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    thanks for the reply. I will spend some more time on that this weekend then. if I'm not mistaking, on should be +/- 3 on the histogram AFR error correct? when using the WB, I'm seeing numbers much different than what I get off my stock O2s. would the LTFTs be off that bad as a result from faulty O2s? or me just not getting the VE table on point yet? learning more and more as the days go by behind that laptop.

Tuner
    5fdp is right when i am on the dyno first think you do is get fueling corrected with a wide band because you have no idea if she is going very lean or just going nuts like i see in the log. fuel first then worry about timing