Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First write attempt makes car unable to start MPVI2

Tuner in Training

Unhappy First write attempt makes car unable to start MPVI2

Hi I read the tune off my Holden Commodore SV8 2003 LS1 with my new MPVI2 fine, made some mods to the timing tables and torque convert lockup settings and went to write (Cal only) the modified tune back into the car. On my first attempt it said unlicensed file (I had already licensed the file). On my second attempt it started going through some programming steps. It stopped on Erase, stayed there for a while and then stopped communicating. The car now won't start I have tried many times to write the cal but it just says Failed Controller Unlocker: Timed Out

1. I thought writing Cal only was low risk and a routine task for your software/hardware.
    2. How can I get my car going again ASAP - it is my daily car and needed for transport to work etc.

I have tried the following:
    1. Switch key off and on again
    2. Remove battery terminal for a few minutes, reconnect and retry programming
    3. Switching to a different computer.

Can you read the PCM ? Just to verify that there is an OS and cal there or perhaps it did erase and requires restoration. Do you have a MPVI1? Guessing not. What part of the world are in? Just roughly

I hate to do Write Entires when the process is suspect or there was an issue with the cal write, but it may be required if something didn't erase correctly. That said, the write cal shouldn't alter the OS so that is why it would be good to see if you can read to help isolate if its an ECU issue or some potential connectivity issue with your new MPVI2

Tuner in Training
    Hi I am in New Zealand (Hamilton), and don't have access to a MPVI1. I might phone around tomorrow and see if I can find a local company who uses one. I can no longer read the PCM. Quite disappointing! I was looking forward to being able to do some tuning on the Commodore.. Hopefully I don't need to buy another PCM...

That's a pain. The P01 is pretty damned resilient so I'd be surprised if it isn't recoverable. Do you have the stock .hpt saved if you need to get it restored? If not I more than likely have a Stock file as I have quite a few 03 or 04 A4 cals if required. Good luck, hopefully something simple and given it's a recently released MPVI2, might be worth an infolog (if you can connect) sent to support as it 'may' be able to fixed via software

Tuner in Training
    Hi thanks for the offer. I did keep a copy of the stock configuration. If I remember I will post what happens in case it is useful to someone else.

Did you open a support ticket? If so, what's your ticket #?

We'll get you up and running ASAP.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner in Training
    Hi yes it is 133738. Thanks for your help.

Tuner in Training
    Hi - an update for those interested, HP Tuners Support has contacted me within the first 24 hours and we are working through the process of fixing the issue - capturing debug logs etc. The first attempt didn't work.

I am having a similar issue with mpvi2. says unknown vehicle. also when you read ecm engine tab is blank. transmission tab has normal adjustments. wants me to license it as a new vehicle. no start with service stabiltrac and abs and trac light on. vcm scanner dtc says u1000 permant lose of conection with ecm.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I am having a similar issue with mpvi2. says unknown vehicle. also when you read ecm engine tab is blank. transmission tab has normal adjustments. wants me to license it as a new vehicle. no start with service stabiltrac and abs and trac light on. vcm scanner dtc says u1000 permant lose of conection with ecm.
    Email support please.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Another update I ended up just keeping on trying to write the tune with the MPVI2 time after time. After something like 30 attempts it wrote the tune all the way through and the car finally runs again! It seems like the MPVI2 only has a small % chance of starting writing successfully. I will update HP Tuners support and see if they are able to keep working on fixing the issue.

Tuner in Training
    So [email protected] while you are waiting for tech support you could try writing many times. I did it by switching the ignition off and on again for most retries. I think the one that wrote successfully I initiated it something like 20s after switching the ignition on.

Quote Originally Posted by dmg953 View Post
    Another update I ended up just keeping on trying to write the tune with the MPVI2 time after time. After something like 30 attempts it wrote the tune all the way through and the car finally runs again! It seems like the MPVI2 only has a small % chance of starting writing successfully. I will update HP Tuners support and see if they are able to keep working on fixing the issue.
    We are working to resolve the issue, i'm glad you got up and running again. Please don't try to write the vehicle again in the meantime!
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training
    OK I will hold off - I just sent a debug log etc. to Hp Tuners support. I am looking forward to doing some more tuning soon.

i have tried several times with no luck. i will note this, when i read ecm it appears to be a new blank ecm. after read i tried writing right back to it and i was prompted to use 2 credits to license this ecm. if i did that is there anyway to load my stock tune back to it so it will atleast run? it does not show a vin so woukd it accept my stock tune since it has been licensed already.
    basicly can you load the stock tune on what hp tuners beleives is a 2nd vehicle because obviously the read file has no settings or adjustments and cant just copy and past the settings.

Tuner in Training
    It is of my opinion only a fool would continue to try writing with a broke package ... A good way to brick chips.

-Enjoy
    2010 5.7L M6 Challenger

Tuner in Training
    Sounds different to my issue - see what HP Tuners tech support advises.

Tuner in Training
    An update - HP Tuners support has been good at keeping in touch, and it sounds like I need to send my MPVI2 back to get checked.

Tuner in Training
    Question - If the PCM is blank (say a new one) or it is loaded with a factory load but has a different VIN number than the vehicle it will be installed in and I want to install it in the vehicle with the actual vehicle VIN number, what would be some issues I might run into. (i.e. would I brick the PCM or not be able to start vehicle)?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Same issue here. Waiting on support. Were you able to resolve this?