Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: boosted g/sec timing table max out

boosted g/sec timing table max out

I have a ls3 to LSA conversion with 6 lbs of boost. I just cant figure out out to adjust the timing timing table for the 3 bar map. I hit the max 1.36 g/sec a little over idle. Is there a way to adjust this without scaling the tune down? I would like to be able to see what the timing table is actually reading in the scanner graphs.
    2015 2ss 1LE Camaro with LSA conversion. stock pulleys 6lbs of boost. put down 530 r.w.h.p.

Advanced Tuner
    Something is wrong if you're hitting 1.36 just off idle

Advanced Tuner
    Post tune and log
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Last edited by 151LE; 06-13-2018 at 12:18 PM.
    2015 2ss 1LE Camaro with LSA conversion. stock pulleys 6lbs of boost. put down 530 r.w.h.p.

Didn’t look but sound alike injector data is off and therefore it’s like a “scaled tune” in the wrong direction...

With everything right and low boost, doubt you would hit past the 1.36 limit...
    Idle should be aorund .08-.18 on a setup that’s tame

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Didn’t look but sound alike injector data is off and therefore it’s like a “scaled tune” in the wrong direction...

With everything right and low boost, doubt you would hit past the 1.36 limit...
    Idle should be aorund .08-.18 on a setup that’s tame
    This tune was done by a tuner, I had to start over with a zL1 tune as a base, but I did reuse his injector data. From what I could tell he had all the correct data entered in per the 65 lb injector data card.

Senior Tuner
    u might be looking at a different PID i cant see the cylinder airmass being logged at all in your log, also if its g/s then its prob a MAF or flow related, cylinder airmass is PID 2321

Advanced Tuner
    youre not logging correct air mass. your log doesn't show any cyl air mass being logged.

the tune looks pretty good to start from.

see attached LSA retrofit file with E38 PCM for reference. its in SD though.

vh LSA_maFLESS final 469rwhp.hpt stock as a rock LSA and powerglide on pump fuel.

Advanced Tuner
    log cylinder air mass for 8 cylinder it will bring it back down to the correct reading

spark knock

short run with spark knock.hpl you are correct. After inserting cylinder airmass pid, I had spark knock on my graph, but it didn't not show up on my total knock? Why is this? false knock? I have clylinder air mass had my pid along with advance spark on my graph and it shows spark knock, however it doesn't show up on my my total knock. take a look at the new scan. let me know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by lukearmstrong1990 View Post
    youre not logging correct air mass. your log doesn't show any cyl air mass being logged.

the tune looks pretty good to start from.

see attached LSA retrofit file with E38 PCM for reference. its in SD though.

vh LSA_maFLESS final 469rwhp.hpt stock as a rock LSA and powerglide on pump fuel.
    what kind of octane are you running? I have 91 octane here in wi, as to why my timing tables are so low.

I do not believe burst knock is going to show up on the graph you have. You can see it spiking a few times in that log. Most people will dial back the burst knock or remove it because it's a predicted knock that gets in the way.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I do not believe burst knock is going to show up on the graph you have. You can see it spiking a few times in that log. Most people will dial back the burst knock or remove it because it's a predicted knock that gets in the way.
    so are you saying this is false knock and not actually "spark knock"?

Senior Tuner
    also ur WB is showing around 15afr and commanded EQ stays at 1.0 even tho ur going into boost, should have PE or BE enabled

I think the term "burst knock" is misleading.

I believe the burst knock feature is just a little loop that watches rate of change of throttle position, and then pulls a bit(user defined) of timing when that rate exceeds some quantity.

correct me if I am wrong

Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    also ur WB is showing around 15afr and commanded EQ stays at 1.0 even tho ur going into boost, should have PE or BE enabled
    I have p.e. set to 1500 rpm's as u can see from the tune above. What would need to be adjusted to get it to come on sooner? Is B.E mode even an option without having to go s.d. only?

Senior Tuner
    PE throttle values id prob halve the 30 back to 15 and keep rest around same just drive it and see when it kicks in and make it so if ur around map 80kpa ur entering PE, u can even try using just the map enable and lower the throttle enable so its easily passed, at the moment u can enter boost under PE threshold because the throttle is so high, the PE TPS around 8 is around 35% actual but may vary slightly so just see when yours enables then u have an idea of where to set it, the BE is if u have the 2 bar OS then no matter what if u enter boost u get enrichment

PE throttle values id prob halve the 30 back to 15 and keep rest around same just drive it and see when it kicks in and make it so if ur around map 80kpa ur entering PE, u can even try using just the map enable and lower the throttle enable so its easily passed, at the moment u can enter boost under PE threshold because the throttle is so high, the PE TPS around 8 is around 35% actual but may vary slightly so just see when yours enables then u have an idea of where to set it, the BE is if u have the 2 bar OS then no matter what if u enter boost u get enrichment
    SO the hot p.e. table is off? What is the % off by? so when I was camanding 30 t.p.s in pe mode it wouldn't engage p.e. mode at 30tps?
    Last edited by 151LE; 06-25-2018 at 03:04 PM.

Senior Tuner
    the PE TPS is not actual TPS u may have it as a PID i think it was added or u may be able to request it, try around 8-12% in PE TPS and see how it goes should be around 30-40% actual TPS, try to lower it enough so its not in PE when cruising around and moderate throttle but it enters PE before u get close to boost or around 80 kpa so ur safe if u dont have the BE that is MAP enabled

the PE TPS is not actual TPS u may have it as a PID i think it was added or u may be able to request it, try around 8-12% in PE TPS and see how it goes should be around 30-40% actual TPS, try to lower it enough so its not in PE when cruising around and moderate throttle but it enters PE before u get close to boost or around 80 kpa so ur safe if u dont have the BE that is MAP enabled
    thanks for the info. I put it around 12% throttle for p.e mode and wow did it wake my car up. Has soon as I enter into p.e mode the boost kicks in and does it go. It is like a new car all over again. Still don't understand as to why my tuner didn't set the car up this way.( He is from a reputable shop around here) He had it going into boost and still commanding 14.7. I just hope he didn't cause any engine damage as a result.