Thread: VCM scanner won't connect after computer wakes from sleep

Tuner

VCM scanner won't connect after computer wakes from sleep

So I have installed a PC into my car using an intel NUC.

I HAD HPTuners running on it no problem, however I've noticed a strange issue since I started using sleep mode.

I use sleep instead of hibernate or shutdown in order to have the PC back up and running as fast as possible when starting the car. It makes the delay with systems getting back to a full running state as minimal as possible (music, GPS, data connection, etc. Some of my USB devices are switched with a relay since the PC keeps USB powered during sleep mode.

VCM scanner will run the first time no problem. But if I stop a scan and close the program, then shut off the car (put the computer into sleep mode), then come back and turn the car back on, start VCM scanner and try to connect, it will not connect and will not respond to any further commands.

It won't close, it won't stop trying to connect, it won't anything. I have to stop the task in the task manager.
    After that, I start the program again, and it will still get stuck in the same spot.

Switching USB ports does nothing, unplugging from the OBD2 port does nothing.

Only way to fix it is to reboot the computer, which is not very convenient.

I never noticed the problem in hibernation mode because hibernation is technically a shut down, so I guess whatever is hanging up the program communication gets cleared.

It's also worth noting, I have many USB devices.

1) Screen power/touch input
    2) audio out/in adapter
    3) USB backup camera
    4) GPS sensor
    5) USB wireless modem
    6) HPTuners
    7) Innovate motorsports LC2 wideband
    8) wireless keyboard/touchpad dongle
    9) XKeys HD15 interface (for automation of certain devices)

I don't seem to have any hardware conflicts however.

I'm not sure if it's an issue with the setup, or a weird quirk of VCM scanner. I'm leaning towards a scanner issue, since I've tried hooking HPT into both the constant powered USB and the switched USB and both get the same results after the computer goes into sleep/ wakes up from sleep.
    Last edited by DaFlyinSkwirl; 06-13-2018 at 07:48 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Go into the device manager and disable the power management on the USB hubs ONLY and see if this helps. If not, go to the manufactures site and see if there are any chipset or USB driver updates. You can always try Windows/Microsoft update but Im not a fan of using Microsoft's drivers at all. Im a PC tech BTW... USBPowerMgmt.JPG
    Last edited by jaydubb71; 06-13-2018 at 08:48 PM.
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Advanced Tuner
    Also try:
    Leave the program open but press the 'Disconnect from vehicle' button on the VCM Scanner if you plan to use it a little later, then put it to sleep (close lid, etc) -or-
    Press the Disconnect button and THEN close the program -or-
    If this doesn't help, instead of restarting try logging off and back on. The log off process closes out a lot of processes and at least would be faster than rebooting.

It sounds like the communication 'session' between the Scanner and MPVI remains open even after shutdown, or perhaps a file stays in use. Let us know what you find