Thread: Exhaust phaser disabled in stock tune - 2013 Cherokee 5.7

Advanced Tuner

Exhaust phaser disabled in stock tune - 2013 Cherokee 5.7

Started tinkering with my wife's 2013 GC overland and noticed the stock tune has the exhaust phaser disabled. I found this odd because my 2015 challenger has it enabled and I found another 2013 GC tune (modified by a member) with it enabled as well. Does this mean my VVT is disabled? I guess I can log the cam position to verify but was wondering if anyone knows the answer or why this would be disabled?

It is bone stock and has been this way since purchased new in 2013.

So confirmed VVT is working by logging cam position. I guess that enable/disable option does nothing...at least for this vehicle.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Homer; 06-14-2018 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Started tinkering with my wife's 2013 GC overland and noticed the stock tune has the exhaust phaser disabled. I found this odd because my 2015 challenger has it enabled and I found another 2013 GC tune (modified by a member) with it enabled as well. Does this mean my VVT is disabled? I guess I can log the cam position to verify but was wondering if anyone knows the answer or why this would be disabled?

It is bone stock and has been this way since purchased new in 2013.

So confirmed VVT is working by logging cam position. I guess that enable/disable option does nothing...at least for this vehicle.
    I noticed on my '13 Challenger that one of these phaser settings were enabled but on a '12 Charger I'm working on, both were disabled. I kept both disabled <shrug>. I also track the exh cam position and I know it moves. To verify, I also enabled exh cam phaser 1 and the cam stayed at 125* on the Charger. That setting is enabled on my Challenger and the cam moves.
    Last edited by Pector55; 10-23-2018 at 11:09 AM.
    2013 Dodge Challenger RT Plus - Shaker

Advanced Tuner
    It's this kind of inconsistencies that can drive you nucking futs. There are other quirks but the one that threw me was changing my enrichment rates to anything like say 0.0100 (stock is 0.0005) would cause the fuel trims/injectors go crazy and I would get DTCs saying they are open loop. I did not get it as I have seen plenty of tunes increase the rates significantly.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...highlight=open

Tuner in Training
    I just had this same problem. Enabling exhaust cam 1 actually dissabled it. This was on a 2013 Durango. But on a 2014 Jeep its enabled ,and works fine.

Advanced Tuner
    Ok, looks like the older models did not have the capability to turn VVT on/off, so it appears to be disabled. That explains why my 2013 5.7 with GPEC2 controller shows it disabled across the board but my 2015 5.7 with GPEC2A shows exhaust enabled.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?50507-New-to-Dodge-tuning-and-have-a-few-questions&highlight=5.7+6.4+vvt+table

I had a 2012 300s that was enabled from factory. He put a vvt cam. After disabling it completely it shows cam movement. I assumed the cam he had just wasn't vvt because it read 125 center and no changes but after disabling it, it reads.