Thread: Max Knock Retard under any Power Enrichment

Max Knock Retard under any Power Enrichment

I've been chasing this issue that I can't figure out.

Soon (within miliseconds) of hitting PE, my KR goes to the max that I'm letting it pull.

I've fiddled with PE AFR, and even tried letting PE kick in at low throttle. It's like a switch, the second it kicks on max retard, the second I'm out of PE the KR goes to 0.

I can command whatever AFR with the bidirectional controls while driving and it doesn't cause any knock.

newVEMaf_061418.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    perhaps because youre commanding more spark than ive ever seen an LS take in my life...

and your PE delay RPM will keep it lean and the combustion process will be more unstable and susceptible to detonation

Sorry, it's a 24x lt1.

As a test I also pulled 8* across all driving areas of the table. No change.

I'm not too certain about the method of the delay and ramp in. This was part of my canned tune. I'm gonna go expierment with it. For whatever it's worth I see the commanded AFR go to my PE AFR instantly when you reach PE. Wideband reflects it too. So like there's no delay.

Advanced Tuner
    can you hear it ping by ear or not?

looking at your sensor gains theyre pretty much turned off...

Tuner
    Your PE enable MAP is at 15kpa, raise it to 80kpa, and enable torque is at 0%, raise it to 50%, and if this a auto trans, set your PE delay to torque converter stall speed, and get that timing down to around 25* or few degrees lower to start with and work on your VE.
    Last edited by MarcusMilner; 06-16-2018 at 12:53 PM.

lukearmstrong1990,

No I can't hear it even if it was. exhaust is too loud. But you hit the nail on the head with the delay and ramp in. I set teh ramp in to 3.500, and delay rpm to 1500, delay time 0 and it seems to have fixed it.

But you've got me a little concerned on the KS sensitivity. I know I used to get a lot of false knock with my stock 95' PCM in the upper RPM's. (confirmed with race fuel and manually pulling timing). Roller rockers, roller lifters, headers, the usual suspects.

MarcusMilner,
    Copy on the MAP and Torque. Basically keep it from kicking in at lower load areas. I copied the ramp in from a similar engine setup, but that makes sense too. I run a 3200, but have it set for 3.500 right now.

I just finished the VE and MAF in OL a few days ago with the wideband. Not sure if I hand smoothed it too much, or not enough though. Back in CL I'm a little lean and that's adding to PE. But that's another battle for another day.

Guess I spoke too soon. I was low on fuel and made a few PE blasts with the new settings and it looked good. 0KR.

Stopped, fueled up, and I'm back to square one Soon as PE hits, max KR. Only thing I can think of is cooler fuel? Kinda skeptical though.

Gonna expierment again with pulling timing.

Set codes P0325, 327 and 332 to no error reported. A good guess is that the knock may stop.

If you have any pending knock codes it will pull the max timing.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Set codes P0325, 327 and 332 to no error reported. A good guess is that the knock may stop.

If you have any pending knock codes it will pull the max timing.
    Bingo.. I was messing around with pulling all kinds of timing just to test, one drive it's fine and the next it isn't.

I remembered reading about codes set to second error reported causing tuning issues. The knock sensors were set to second error. I set them to 1st error, and sure enough seem to have a intermittent issue with my B2 KS. 332 code. Clearing it while driving, and in PE clears up the KR right away.

Went in circles all damn day trying things.

Came home after discovering this just to see your post.

Just glad to have cbfigured it out. Now to figure out if it's a connector, wiring, or actual KS.

[edit]
    For future searchers sake... So this was all my fault. Car is a 95, originally with two knock sensors but only one input the the PCM. So essentially the new PCM doesn't think there is anything connected to bank 2. Because there isn't. Solution is to disable P0332.
    Last edited by scoob8000; 06-19-2018 at 03:10 PM.

Thanks for following up with answers. I am about to go outside and see if it fixes this issue on an 03 Escalade with an 04 Silverado ECM that runs great first few pulls, then pulls max timing immediately after a few pulls.

It solved my issue. Previous builder/tuner did not have knock sensors installed correctly, so once it started to throw the pending knock code it pulled max timing. Temporarily disabled the knock sensor codes and the issue is gone. (of course fixing the knock sensors is the next step, but for troubleshooting, this fixed the issue)

Tuner in Training
    just so i understand all this, when you have a kn sensor code it will pull max timing in pe? im having the exact same issues,

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuffy282000 View Post
    just so i understand all this, when you have a kn sensor code it will pull max timing in pe? im having the exact same issues,
    That's correct. If you change the KS DTC's to No Error Reported, they will still function, but will not default to pull max timing.

Tuner in Training
    will they still read knock? they're new but are aftermarket. i didnt know about the problem with the aftermarket ones before i purchased them otherwise i would have just got the AC delco's thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    That's correct. If you change the KS DTC's to No Error Reported, they will still function, but will not default to pull max timing.

Tuner in Training
    thanks for the info