Thread: Ignition timing help plz

Potential Tuner

Ignition timing help plz

So I bought a 98 camaro with a blown up 5.7 rebuilt a 6.0 lq4 put 706 heads on it and installed a cam decided that since I?ll keep modding the car I?d buy a tuner and do it myself I?ve read a lot and I?m still a little lost on some of the different tables right now I?m trying to adjust the timing table the only chance I?ve made is to the low octane table I copied the high octane over it and I?ve mad small adjustments to the idle tables to make it idle still having trouble with in park idle staying steady but main concern is that I?m getting knock and I dunno if I should increase or decrease the timing advance or by how much

Don't get too crazy with the timing if the airflow model is still in need of work with the engine swap and cam swap. It could put you in a worse hole if you do too much.

More often than not stock timing is the best to stay with and if it idle and runs, kinda leave it be untill the MAF and VE table are somewhat close to the fueling okay. Then idle airflow, idle timing and the over/under speed spark correction tables can be adjusted to keep the idle steady.

Without a data log or tune to look at I can't comment on the knock. Could be over fueling or under fueling knock, misfires or even issues with the knock sensors themselves. Check for pending codes.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I just order a wideband a few minutes ago to handle afr should be able to do it next weekend I had wondered if it might be from afr issues I was scared to do to much to timing which is y I haven’t and where can I find the over/under tables

Have you done any scanning to see where your fuel trims are or spark is at and where the knock is?

Like 5FDP said, gotta get your airflow somewhat close before getting too crazy with spark.

Do a datalog and make sure you are logging fuel trims and your spark advance, MAF, etc and post it here.

Potential Tuner
    Ok I’ll try to have a data log this weekend