Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 ML63 AMG M157 Tuning proceedures

Potential Tuner

2013 ML63 AMG M157 Tuning proceedures

Hey Everyone,

This is my first time using HP Tuners in general, although we have been tuning other platforms via COBB and EcuTek and Opensource for nearly a decade. We have a 4WD Dyno Dynamics Chassis dyno in house and have already performed a baseline and look forward to the improvements.

Our development vehicle is a 2013 ML63 AMG

My MPVI2 just arrived in the mail today and we are ready to use it!

As per HP Tuners Mercedes PCM Modifications instructions I have downloaded the latest software VCM Editor 4.0.6 and updated the firmware on the MPVI2. I currently have not purchased any credits yet.

Step 1 is to read my original ECU so I can send that data into HP Tuners with either the ECU or another ECU to have them modify it so that I can tune it.

I connected the dongle / cable to my vehicle and with the key on (all lights on dash on) but not running tried to read the ECU. When I push Read or Gather info once it pulls up my VIN and year/make/model correctly. It gives me only one option to read the PCM for my year/make/model and when I press read again it fails to initialize and read the ECU.

I can't find any information on if I'm doing the procedure correctly or not, I know on some cars like GTR's things like the climate control needs to be off during certain procedures ect.

I've emailed HP Tuners support as well, but being Australian the time frame is usually pretty different so I'm hoping for a faster reply here.

Thanks!

I apologize, there is a mistake in the product description. We will fix that shortly. The PCM cannot be read until after the modification. You can go ahead and send us the original PCM without the read.

Potential Tuner
    In this situation is it possible for me to ship my original ECU in, as well as a used ECU with the same part number and have the original ECU read but the used ecu modified?

Allowing me to go back to unmodified stock if I wanted?

Quote Originally Posted by RWDragoon View Post
    In this situation is it possible for me to ship my original ECU in, as well as a used ECU with the same part number and have the original ECU read but the used ecu modified?

Allowing me to go back to unmodified stock if I wanted?
    This may or may not work since sometime there are differences between the modules even with the same part number. Please e-mail support referencing this thread for additional information.

If we know the HW, SW and UPG numbers would that help with a 2nd ECU?

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mep_q8 View Post
    If we know the HW, SW and UPG numbers would that help with a 2nd ECU?
    It will probably work, however our service does not include cloning the PCM. That would require to have both ECM covers off and resealing. If you read your original ECM with some boot mode tool and provide an unencrypted full flash and EEPROM read, then we could do that for you.

Sharmz
    I can do this VIA OBD unlock or write with 20 dollar cable, immo off in flash is possible, are u guys kidding me lol?
    Last edited by Sharmz; 07-10-2018 at 07:57 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Hey everyone. Ok so I received my ECU back unlocked from HP tuners and installed it into my Mercedes and it fired right up and seems to run like stock. I am now able to do a full read and proper datalogs and am preparing to tune it.

Has anyone tuned the 5.5L biturbo with HP Tuners yet? The intro to Mercedes post above doesn't seem to really apply and the tables are all totally different. It seems like the engine is very well modelled in the software and that basically the first step would be to request more torque, but there are many different torque related tables and no clear direction on which ones to modify.

Potential Tuner
    I would start by data logging any channel possible. Have you done any hardware mods to the engine? I have been following along waiting for M278 support to be added which is has now, just not sure I want to trade in my first gen pro tuner to upgrade to the 2nd gen tuner until they offer the pro version. I have a bench tune from a popular vendor and it seems ok but not precise on fueling. I can't wait to see how it logs when the pro tuner comes out and see if I can refine things.

Potential Tuner
    Yeah that's how I've been starting. The datalogging seems to work pretty well but actually choosing which tables to modify is the hard part. On a more normal car you would have ignition tables and fueling tables and possibly target boost tables to modify. On these cars it has all those tables, but it seems everything is determined by a complex target torque, but there are many different torque tables and each of them have very different information in each table, with little to no explanation.

To gain and support more boost, you'll want to edit parameters such as: Max Airflow Limit, Max Desired Load, Overboost Error, Engine Load Limit, Throttle Angle at Max Flow, Maximum Desired MAP, Target MAP, Maximum TIP error, Turbo Overspeed Max Pressure Ratio, Compressor Overspeed PR Limit, Wastegain Proportional Gain, BOV/BPV Surge Limit, Component Protection Lambda, Spark tables, Optimum & Max Indicated torque, most Max Torque tables, Driver Demand tables, Power Enrichment, and you may need to adjust Fuel Rail pressure tables if you are running out of fuel. Finally, you'll need to adjust Estimated Exhaust Gas Temperature tables as these are based on models and will cause the throttle to close in the upper engine load/engine speed area without an adjustment.
    Last edited by Engineer@HPT; 07-18-2018 at 10:13 PM.

Is this another MPVI2 only car? Otherwise I'd take a look for you

It is.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you this is exactly the information I needed

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharmz View Post
    I can do this VIA OBD unlock or write with 20 dollar cable, immo off in flash is possible, are u guys kidding me lol?
    please pm me info, i have a flashed ecu by bdm that is still locked

The changes made are HPT specific. Just writing the ECM via boot mode with another tool will not enable the functionality.

Can you post the tune file? I just got my MPVI2, Id like to take a look if you dont mind!

Tuner in Training
    Can i please any orginal M157, i want to look how meny map support Hp tuners.

Tuner in Training
    anyone help upload M157 orginal file?

Again just an query regarding this, if we can find and supply you a file with the same HW/SW can you bench flash the new ECU unlocked and send it over? A lot of customers are not looking forward to the downtime especially when in different countries, it normally takes a good week to 10days for turnaround with shipping back and fourth.

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram