Thread: FR Twin 65mm Calibration Glitch?

FR Twin 65mm Calibration Glitch?

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to put on a Ford Racing twin 65mm throttle body (M-9926-CJ65) and was looking over the calibration tables. I noticed something odd about the data in the 14.1 inHg row. Between 1.3* and 1.5*, the effective area drops. This doesn't happen anywhere else in the table. If you look at it graphically, the 1.0* and 1.3* values seem high relative to the curve:

Twin 65 Eff Area.png

It's not a huge amount. Maybe around 14% high from a smooth curve.

I know that Accufab mfgs these, but does anyone know whether Accufab of Ford generated the calibration tables? I'm curious whether it's an aerodynamic fluke, or skewed data.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Not a glitch, it's all part of a flow formula.
    throttlebodyglitch.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Thatwhite5.0 View Post
    Not a glitch, it's all part of a flow formula.

I understand how the two tables are linked, being the inverse of one another. That doesn't explain what I showed though.

The physics say that for a fixed TB opening area, increase in the engine's vacuum causes more flow, or a larger "effective area".

Geometry says that for increasing angles of TB opening, the cross sectional opening area increases.

So how, given a fixed amount of vacuum (14.1 inHg), and an increasing TB opening angle (1.3* -> 1.5*), can we get a reduction in the effective area?

Advanced Tuner
    At low openings like that, the throttle blade cut angle will effect flow, same as valve seats effect flow at low lift, on valves.
    Could be that. I would imagine this the importance of having actual flow data to enter, as opposed to just entering a linear flow value.

I get that the flow rate will definitely not be linear with respect to blade angle. But it is hard to imagine the blade opening (albeit a very small amount), and flow rate dropping.