Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Built 6L80 tuning issues

New Built 6L80 tuning issues

So the trans was just built and put back in the car. I went all out on it. 2800 stall, New Pump, New Bell, sonnex pressure booster, sonnex zip kit, welded baskets, billet intermediate shaft and hub, sonnex 1-2-3-4 piston, sonnex 4-5-6 piston, Camaro pan, wide filter, Billet pump rotor, after market clutch packs with one additional friction in each. All behind a forged 370 iron block, good size cam and LSA.

The issue is when it is changing gears something is dragging the rpms down and feels like to motor wants to stall. The trans was tuned on the old setup and already had the stall. I put everything almost back to factory settings except the changes for the stall. Any Idea on what is causing this? It does not seem as bad in the higher gears as it does in the lower.

My Trans tuning knowledge is limited to TQ management, shift points, Shift timing, and upping the pressure a little. Looking at the log I dont know much about what the pressures mean and where they should be at.

Trans log#1.hpl
    current!.hpt

Just looked at the stickys. Do you think a Fast Learn will correct this?

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds like torque management. Fast Learn wont help much. Converter is too loose. Let me look at your tune real quick...
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Ok did a fast learn and it failed twice so something is definitely wrong! The first one i logged driving to warm up the trans too so it is at the end.

fast learn failed.hpl

fast learn failed 2.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    OK. In MY opinion only. Im no expert but I do have a G8 with a built 6L80...

Your minimum final spark table is set to -10*. I would set it to 0*.
    Your shift times are really slow. I would set them to .200. Maybe .100 in sport mode (special table).

Try these settings and see what happens. At the worst, you can flash old tune back in if you dont like it.
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)

I get where you are going but my trans had all of that when it was tuned the first time and i took it back to stock to see if the issues would stop. It feels like someone is hitting the breaks through the shift. The rpms drop and the car slows down while i'm on the throttle. if i take my foot off the throttle and get back into it after the trans engages the next gear you cant feel it as mutch

Also, I see your in Waldorf... I'm in Calvert

Advanced Tuner
    Adding the additional frictions has no doubt changed the apply release times so my guess is that is is holding one clutch pack to long before engaging the next. If that is the case the trans won't last long. It needs to relearn

Any guess as to why it is failing the relearn?

It fails the test at the same point every time. It goes through surging fine. Then starts on calibrating the gears and it fails on the second test.

Advanced Tuner
    I read somewhere that the relearn fails with higher stall converters. I did get it to pass one time by holding the RPM up while it ran the relearn. Maybe lower the oncoming volume tables? Can the builder give you any insight? Yes I'm in Waldorf near the town center. Maybe we can link up to see exactly what it's doing...

Thanks I will give that a try and see what it does. As far as meeting up if I can figure this thing out I might take you up On that

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ProFire View Post
    Thanks I will give that a try and see what it does. As far as meeting up if I can figure this thing out I might take you up On that
    Check your PM's

So holding the rpms at 1200 got the trans to go through the fast learn process but no change to how the trans shifts. I have a few other ideas to try but if anyone can see anything in the logs I posted or might have another idea I'm all ears.

Advanced Tuner
    you going to need to up the adapt pressures for the off going shifts, that is why your getting a drag/braking feeling

Advanced Tuner
    Tre-Cool, my thoughts exactly, I was hoping you would see this a jump in as you have way more experience with these transmissions then I do. I have learned a lot from your posts.... I thank you for that.

just got back in town. I haven't messed with the pressures too much. what is a good percentage to start out with? Do I increase 0,1 and 2 in all offgoing shifts?

maybe add 15 or 20% across the board then adjust individualy a little at a time?

Ok so I did add 15 then 20 then 50% and not much of a change. 3rd to 4th was pretty good at 20%. I have been doing some research and found some other threads where people have had similar builds. Tre-cool, you are in most of them! So the offgoing is used to hold the current gear while the clutchpack fills with fluid. Since I have new clutches I read I need to mess with volume presets. So thinking out loud because I have no Idea.....Is the clutch maybe filling up faster or slower than the TCM thinks due to volume preset being incorrect and if so is correcting just trial and error?

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    you going to need to up the adapt pressures for the off going shifts, that is why your getting a drag/braking feeling
    Ok I miss understood what you were talking about. I was messing with offgoing pressure preset and you were talking about adapts. Sorry still learning. I am looking at my tune and dont see any settings labeled for offgoing adapt. I see the MAX and MIN Adapt Vol and the 4 enable/disable adapt switches. I assume the MAX adapt vol is what you are refeurng to!? I also see that my upshift adapt is disabled?