Thread: How to create a template that is associated with a data profile?

Potential Tuner

How to create a template that is associated with a data profile?

I may have missed this in the documentation but don't think so...
    I created a new template and had to create a new data profile for the template.
    When I load the template, data file and video, I always have to go to the data file config screen and import the data profile I created.
    Why can't the template save this information so I don't always have to re-import the data profile I've created for this template?
    Or, am I doing something wrong?

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I have the same result. What you suggest is a good idea but I don't think the current version (3.6.5) does this.

There are two pieces to mapping input data fields to the template displays...

1) When a data file is loaded, RaceRender looks for data channel names that it recognizes and tries to map those to its shortcuts for things like latitude, longitude, speed, heading, engine rpm, throttle, g-forces, etc. Some of these shortcuts are also be made available in field selections with names inside of parenthesis, such as "(Speed)". Similarly, the "(Automatic)" option offered in some display objects will use these, based on the type of data it displays. When RaceRender's automatic mapping does not recognize something, you can double-click on the data file in the Input Files list to open its config screen, which will let to set most of them. But in those cases, it's also helpful to let us know which data channel names you're working with, so that we can update the software to recognize them in the future.

2) The data overlay templates will include displays for various data, and should generally be setup to use the shortcut fields when possible (ie "(Speed)", "(Heading)", "(RPM)", "(Gear)", etc.), so that they'll work for different data formats. The display objects in these templates should also be named in such a way that RaceRender can recognize their presence and offer the right menu options to set them up. I've listed the current naming options here: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-is-this-a-bug

I'm stull a little confused. In a nutshell, can you link a .rrlc file to a specific .rrt file?

In my example, my camera doesn't provide speed, but RaceRender magically calculates MPH for me (Calculate MPH). But I want Km/Hr so I put in a speed conversion against Vehicle Speed (1.609344). Everything works and if I save the Project and then bring it back, the conversion is still there. But if I create a new project and apply my custom gauge template, I then have to re-import my data profile again to set the speed conversion again. In would be nice to have the data profile (.rrlc) linked to the custom .rrt file since I will probably always apply this conversion to all my videos.