Thread: New ECM Need More Credits?

Tuner in Training

New ECM Need More Credits?

So now that I?m quite certain I have a bricked ECM, if I buy a new/used ECM can I write my current VIN to it without having to by credits for the VIN of the new ECM? Will it even allow me to talk to it to write a new VIN?

Hopefully my only option isn?t to buy an ECM with a VIN already programmed.

Tuner
    I'm 99% certain the license is not tied to the VIN so no, you won't get away with writing your old tune to your new ECM without purchasing more credits. There are plenty of threads here that describe users having to license new ECM's after they had bricked their old ones.

Tuner in Training
    I should mention that I?m using the new MPVI 2 in case that makes any difference with the licensing.

Anytime you replace a controller you will need to license it. Regardless if your using MPVI1 or MPVI2

Tuner in Training
    So HP Tuners corrupts my ECM and I have to buy a new ECM and also now have to buy a new license. I get that you have to keep people from short cutting the license and cheating the system, but this just stinks. I?m afraid to even use it anymore. What options do I have?

ctuinstra do you have a ticket with support addressing your issue?

Tuner in Training
    Yes

Tuner in Training
    Crisis overterted!! The new software and firmware allowed me to recover the ECM! There is nothing like the sound of the car starting up again. By the way, here are a couple of shots of the car I wanting to drive again. Built using a 2007 Chevy Cobalt SS/SC.

DSCN1145.JPGDSCN1151.JPGEngine.pngWheel.pngTail_light.png

Tuner in Training
    Just wanted to give a quick update that I should have a long time ago. I finally figured out the reason for all of my troubles. I have an AeroForce scan gauge hardwired into my OBDII port all the time and it was causing all of the write issues! Once I unplugged it, I have never had another bad write whereas before I was having 1 out of 5 bad writes. I should have known but frankly forgot all about it since it was hardwired in and not actually occupying the port. Not sure how many others may every have this issue but it's worth putting out there. Two years now and I have been trouble free!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    ctuinstra do you have a ticket with support addressing your issue?
    Erick,

I wanted to make sure you got this information. It may help in the future. Thanks for all of your help. Sorry so long for a response.

Just wanted to give a quick update that I should have a long time ago. I finally figured out the reason for all of my troubles. I have an AeroForce scan gauge hardwired into my OBDII port all the time and it was causing all of the write issues! Once I unplugged it, I have never had another bad write whereas before I was having 1 out of 5 bad writes. I should have known but frankly forgot all about it since it was hardwired in and not actually occupying the port. Not sure how many others may every have this issue but it's worth putting out there. Two years now and I have been trouble free!