Thread: SES Enable Vs No MIL Light

Tuner in Training

SES Enable Vs No MIL Light

Any chance anyone can explain to me the difference between the choices of SES Enable and No MIL Light in the Engine Diagnostics Tab?

I tried a search with both of those phrases and came up empty, so sorry if it has been asked before.

Having no MIL and Disabling the SES light are the same thing in my mind.

Thanks,
    Joe

Yeah, pretty much.

No MIL means it won't trip the light but still display the code when scanned. Same thing with un-checking the box, the code still happens but won't trip the light.

Why did you want to know if anything was different?

Some codes will require no error reported or MIL on first error depending on what you are after though, just un-checking the box isn't enough.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Yeah, pretty much.

No MIL means it won't trip the light but still display the code when scanned. Same thing with un-checking the box, the code still happens but won't trip the light.

Why did you want to know if anything was different?

Some codes will require no error reported or MIL on first error depending on what you are after though, just un-checking the box isn't enough.
    Thanks for the reply. We were temporarily disabling the P0420/P0430 codes while trying different exhausts. By unchecking the SES light box the tests for the Cats still ran and set the codes (as expected) but didn't illuminate the light. I got the same result by changing the pull-down to No MIL Light. I couldn't see a difference between the choices, so I asked the question.

I'm familiar with setting the failure to MIL on First Error for putting a vehicle in Speed Density Mode, and understand there are a lot of OBD2 codes that turn the MIL on for the second failure. So I understood the other choices in the pull-down menu, but not that one.

The truck we were working on needs to pass emissions, so the Cats are going back on it, but it was cool to see the code failure not turn the MIL on. I'm pretty sure the new exhaust is not going to give him the sound he is after. Not with Cats on there anyway.

Joe

Eh, he'll live.

Cats get rid of the terrible rasp that comes with catless exhaust.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Eh, he'll live.

Cats get rid of the terrible rasp that comes with catless exhaust.
    Exactly! He should be happy we got rid of the droning noise by killing the DOD.
    Funny that all of this started with killing his VATs because he was having intermittent troubles with it.
    Joe