Thread: 2006 Chrysler 300 SRT8 Looking For Advice

Tuner in Training

2006 Chrysler 300 SRT8 Looking For Advice

Hi all,
    I'm completely green to HP Tuners, and Chryslers for that matter. Only owned GM's previously, 3 GN's, Impala SS, a bunch older of trucks. I do have very limited experience using FAST XFI on my last GN but it had a pre-built tune and it was self learning so it basically tuned it's VE as boost/conditions changed, not much knowledge needed on my part.

Background on the current car, it's a DD 2006 Chrysler 300C SRT8 6.1 74k miles, newest vehicle I've ever owned lol. Very minimal mods, intake, cat back exhaust, 180 thermo. I had a Diablo CMR tune and installed a tuned TCM from a tuner (EGS53 TCM). I wanted to take things into my own hands vs having to email a tuner or send the TCM out for adjustments everytime. Plus getting a dyno tune would be very unlikely, since I live in Hawaii and tuners are very limited so it made sense to be in control of the tune.

I pulled the CMR tune and left the EGS53 TCM connected, unmarried the diablo and returned PCM to stock and reloaded the previous setup in HPT format. I did get to take a log last night, nothing too crazy, just wanted a base line of what state the cars running in. And was hoping to get some advice on any changes I should make and if anythings way outta whack?

All I really want to achieve right now is to optimize the current setup, get comfortable using HPT, and have a real nice driver. I'm looking to improve on part throttle performance if possible being this is where I spend most of the time, and I feel like there's a bit of a dead spot in the power band from about 2000-3500 rpm. I know some is attributed to these cars making power up top. Eventually I may install a cam but I'll cross that road later with tuning, I want to at least know what I'm doing before that. I do have a AEM WB that I'll be installing but still would be waiting for the MPVI2 upgrade release to log AFR.

I also had some questions:
    1) What other Channels should I be logging?
    2) I'm not sure what graphs and charts should I setup while logging, to effectively adjust the tune?
    3) Based on my log, I made an adjustment to the VE table... Is this the right way to dial in the tune? I copied and multiplied by % half.
    4) Looks like there's a few degrees getting pulled from timing up top, I was thinking of lowering 5 deg from those areas.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to read as much as possible, I'm assuming being pretty close to stock it shouldn't take too long to get dialed in. Thanks everyone!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training

Forgot to attach stock tune file

I didn't connect the stock TCM when I initially read the car, just kept the tuned EGS53 that I purchased outright. Doubt I will ever need to switch back to the stock one anyway. So this file is the stock PCM cal and a tuned TCM.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Tuning one of these is just like tuning a GM in VE. Except you can't turn the LTFT off. You have to use STFT+LTFT for part throttle/cruise tuning.

You don't need to log all the cylinders inj PW.

You need to log P-ratio for the VE and MAP for the spark table. Log Throttle Torque source.

Also log the knock sensor voltages. That will help to tell if you are getting real knock or not. The stock knock sensor tables are usually pretty sensitive. Also these engines don't like a lot of spark compared to GM stuff.

Also obviously you will need a W/B for WOT tuning.
    Last edited by Jay@HAP; 06-27-2018 at 07:56 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    It also looks like you were pretty deep into the throttle before it changed the commanded EQ to .87

It wasn't till 5400 rpm it went into OL/Accel. The RPM's looked to be rising at a normal rate but your TPS % was erratic. Maybe it was just the way you were pressing the throttle.

Tuner in Training
    Sounds good, thanks for the advise!!! I will add those channels to my next log.

Yeah I think it was the way I was pressing the throttle, I had to get off an back on again. Should I look into making the O/L throttle threshold lower so PE comes in earlier? I don't want to get too deep into the throttle before the W/B is installed and want to get the tune up knock free in the lower loads.

Forgive me if this is a novice question but how do I log the air charge? And how does it relate to the spark table? I looked in the maths portion and just created a custom copy of the VE/MAP/MAT aircharge formula that related to the sensors I have available. Most of the other options have MAF sensor input in the formula so I figured I couldn't use those being SD.

Thank you again!! I'm trying to read, learn and understand how everything works and relates to each other so I don't have to ask rookie questions and know how to interpret the data.

Advanced Tuner
    I must have looked at your tune wrong or was looking at another.

For spark you will log MAP vs RPM
    For VE you will log P Ratio vs RPM

Yes you can lower your WOT threshold to get into PE faster.

Advanced Tuner
    My suggestion read before you start tweaking. There is a lot of good info on the forum but it is not consolidated into one spot. Here are some posts I found useful. Also look at other modified tunes in the tune repository to get any idea what others have done. There are 2 tunes (one is a S/C version) on the repository that might give you some insight.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post525502

tunerepos.JPG

Tuner in Training
    Got it, makes sense now. Also I think I figured out why OL/PE came in so late.. I found in one of the tables on the engine side torque management tab, the WOT throttle threshold was at 3.745V... So I lowered it down to 3.2V. It's a little confusing cause the WOT pedal threshold on the main TM page was clearly displayed at 3.3V so I didn't think to open up the WOT throttle table right below and check that threshold.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@HAP View Post
    I must have looked at your tune wrong or was looking at another.

For spark you will log MAP vs RPM
    For VE you will log P Ratio vs RPM

Yes you can lower your WOT threshold to get into PE faster.
    Last edited by Slag; 06-27-2018 at 12:04 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    WOT throttle enrichment is controlled by this table, under Fuel, power enrich. Yours is currently set at 3.19V. To verify you can log pedal voltage and either your watch your STFT zero out when PE kicks in or you can log OL/CL status.
    PE.JPG
    Last edited by Homer; 06-27-2018 at 02:53 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for clarifying!! I stumbled upon this table and thought it had an effect on triggering OL. And it was up at 4.7V so I lowered it a little and start logging TPS voltage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@HAP View Post
    Tuning one of these is just like tuning a GM in VE. Except you can't turn the LTFT off. You have to use STFT+LTFT for part throttle/cruise tuning.

You don't need to log all the cylinders inj PW.

You need to log P-ratio for the VE and MAP for the spark table. Log Throttle Torque source.

Also log the knock sensor voltages. That will help to tell if you are getting real knock or not. The stock knock sensor tables are usually pretty sensitive. Also these engines don't like a lot of spark compared to GM stuff.

Also obviously you will need a W/B for WOT tuning.
    I had no issues tuning my 2006 SRT 300 in OL with out any LTFT or STFT influence working against me. I had my dual Innovate widebands right in both Bank 1 and Bank2 O2 sensor locations.

I haven't been able to log both Knock Sensor voltages either.

Did you save the cmr and trans tune before switching to hpt