Thread: Start of injection timing, cammed LT1 with +32% fuel lobe. Tuning strategy?

Potential Tuner

Start of injection timing, cammed LT1 with +32% fuel lobe. Tuning strategy?

Has anyone had any verified gains with adjusting SOI on a cammed LT1, or is the stock table best left alone unless you're running out of fuel on a boosted application? If there are potential gains, what's the approach or process for optimizing these values?

My car has a tsp VVT-3 cam with the +32% lobe and flex fuel, for reference. Thanks for your input.

SOI needs to be modded... it can be ran on stock SOI table, but nodding the table will help

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    SOI needs to be modded... it can be ran on stock SOI table, but nodding the table will help
    I had a feeling this was the case. Has anyone noticed any trends with moving it closer to certain valve events, or is it just something you have play with on the dyno to get it dialed?

Tuning Addict
    Gen 5 injection timing is real simple and can be overly complicated rather easily... Other than the exhaust - forget about valve events Your goal as simply as it can be put is to optimize timing enough to where the fuel is burning cleaner which is usually during higher cylinder pressure injections, but to not inject so late that it causes false knock from the injection window getting too close to the spark window... Typically you retard the injection timing by making the numbers less in the soi table which usually allows you to pull fuel from the air models due to cleaner burning cycles... This results in more power - have heard of 15 to 20 hp just in soi adjustments... When you retard it too much you'll know immediately from the knock the engine is suddenly adjusting for - this isn't real knock - it's just timing being pulled to avoid spark during the injection cycle... Shift the timing back from this and you should be good to go... Remember fuel is spraying into a pocket on the piston - the better you can "optimize" this, the better off things will be hint hint... Of course you still have a lot of things to work around - amount of fuel that can spray through the injectors for example - requires sooner soi's and so on...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Potential Tuner
    That was very helpful, and will save me a lot of money when I go to book the dyno time. Thanks for your input, it makes a lot of sense to me now.