Thread: D585 "Truck Coils"/general dwell question

Potential Tuner

D585 "Truck Coils"/general dwell question

I am working on adapting these coils to a high compression and boosted gm 4cyl application, but figured the Gen3 forum would be a better place to post being the origin of these coils (although the questions are fairly generic).

I found a few stock tunes in the repository from trucks that came with D585's, and the simple solution would be to copy the stock dwell tables over and be done. Since this is a mostly performance application, looking to get a bit more out of them.

I had done some research from other "standalone" ecu applications, and they seem to run a constant dwell time across the rpm range. After looking at the stock tunes, the dwell seems to taper off in the upper rpm.

The only tables my e37 has are the Base dwell table (RPM vs Voltage), and an ECT vs Voltage modifier. At running (really any) voltage and running temp, the modifier is roughly .7X, which pulls the reasonable dwell time even lower.

My question is two parts:
    1) Is there any reason I can't (or shouldn't) "zero" out the modifier table with 1's so that I can solely rely on the base dwell table to command the dwell setting?
    2) Is there any reason I shouldn't run a constant dwell time across the entire rpm range? Obviously I would need to adjust the dwell time across the voltage axis, but it seems like other performance, non HPT, applications have a constant dwell vs rpm and only adjust for voltage. On a single coil setup I know that you can run into issues with it not having enough time between firing, but was under the impression that it is a non issue on coil-per-cyl setups.

Thank you

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    the dwell changes per rpm because of the time allowance for charging the coil one firing to the next.
    i have seen rpm dwell change settings in megasquirt, aem, link ecu, haltech, big stuff3, and motec. some of these ecu's require special settings to enable the feature because just voltage dwell seems to be a good enough for most solution.
    i like using ls coils in stand alones with these companies because i just open up a file and load in what gm uses and call it a day for the most part.
    you could nullify the dwell mult table but it typically defines dwell for coolant shifts which gives a 4th axis to the dwell settings. if you wish to disable mult the from where the coolant temp mult reports 1.00 just make everything hotter than that 1.0 as well.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Be aware that those coils self-discharge above 4.5 ms of dwell depending on voltage. This means the timing will advance several degrees at an unpredictable rate with possible damage to engine.
    The higher the voltage the less dwell it needs. A stock tune is a good start
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for the input.

I had planned to keep it about 4ms@12v to not skirt that edge too close, but at this point, I will probably just use the stock truck data to get it up and running, and go from there (and probably end up leaving it).

Advanced Tuner
    Anybody have a file that i can read with 3.6 for any truck with D585 coils and an 0411 p01 pcm?

Advanced Tuner
    Gonna resurrect this.
    I am interested in his first question.
    Could you just put the modifier table to all 1s and run the dwell straight from the dwell table?
    If I modify my table to run less than 4.5 but still have the dwell change as rpm rise like it should but solely rely on the dwell table with no multiplier.
    1997 30th SS. Torqhead 24x, TFS heads, 223/235 cam, 4l80e, S60 D1SC 14psi

Advanced Tuner
    Also when they say max of 4.5 ms what rpm/ voltage range are they referring to?
    1997 30th SS. Torqhead 24x, TFS heads, 223/235 cam, 4l80e, S60 D1SC 14psi