Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The "I'm making my Fiesta 1.0 not so detestable" thread.

I switched back to e30 today and tweaked the tune a bit. I was able to hit 20psi of actual boost and a max of 15.5lbs of airflow. It averaged around 10-12* of timing at WOT so I'm pretty happy with it. I don't think I'm going to get much more performance out of it without more upgrades I don't want to pay for(downpipe, exhaust, intercooler, better intake). Overall it rips for a basically stock car. Only mods are the secondary intake tube and turbo hard pipe, and a cut up air box.
    2008 Pontiac G5 2.2L (main oil seal became a crunchy Autumn leaf, RIP)
    2016 Fiesta 1.0L Ecoboost - Project "not-so-detestable"

Is the e30 entirely necessary at those boost levels? I have been running 93 for the past few months, if not the past year, and just started messing with this over the past week or so.

After bumping up the torque limits tables some more, I logged what looks like a max of 35.8 psi (~246.8 kpa) for Manifold Absolute Pressure. My timing advance is also hovering around 10-12 degrees at WOT, but only higher in the rev range. Above around 4,500rpm the Driver Demand Limit Source is "Turbo FMEM", and it stays that way to redline.

For physical mods that have the potential of affecting power, I've got a VelossaTech Big Mouth intake scoop, K&N panel filter in the factory airbox, Turbosmart dual port BOV and no rear muffler.

It definitely feels faster than before, and it seems like everything is happy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by pigoman92 View Post
    Is the e30 entirely necessary at those boost levels? I have been running 93 for the past few months, if not the past year, and just started messing with this over the past week or so.

After bumping up the torque limits tables some more, I logged what looks like a max of 35.8 psi (~246.8 kpa) for Manifold Absolute Pressure. My timing advance is also hovering around 10-12 degrees at WOT, but only higher in the rev range. Above around 4,500rpm the Driver Demand Limit Source is "Turbo FMEM", and it stays that way to redline.

For physical mods that have the potential of affecting power, I've got a VelossaTech Big Mouth intake scoop, K&N panel filter in the factory airbox, Turbosmart dual port BOV and no rear muffler.

It definitely feels faster than before, and it seems like everything is happy to me.
    It may not be really necessary, but with the recent 110* temps I'd rather play it safe. I'm at 4000ft elevation and routinely go to 9000ft in this car. if I recall correctly turbo FMEM was fixed by increasing the LSPI reduction tables. I only touched the ones above 3000rpm. Then I fixed that and ran into combustion stability, which I fixed by increasing those tables as I said in previous posts. It would also hit Injector Limit but once I set the minimum lambda to .88 and slightly increased the max duty cycle of the injectors it went away too. I can finally do a 0-100mph pull and not hit any limits.

I bet I could bump the timing up safely as well but I'm wary of adding more power knowing how weak these transmissions are.

For the LSPI Reduction tables, it determines which one to use based on "Blend Factor" right? In the Blending section right below them, everything is set to zero from factory, except for the "vs. Octane Modifier" table. If I'm reading it right, I'm logging a Knock Octane Modifier value of -1 during the pull, which has a value of 0 mapped to it on the blending table, meaning I would be using the "Nominal" LSPI Reduction table. Increasing values there would allow for larger desired loads?

Most of the factory torque limits looked like they were already set pretty high, especially compared to what the transmission can probably handle. I'm already happy with the increase in torque down low, at this point I'm just trying to maintain that smooth increase as far up the rev range as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by pigoman92 View Post
    For the LSPI Reduction tables, it determines which one to use based on "Blend Factor" right? In the Blending section right below them, everything is set to zero from factory, except for the "vs. Octane Modifier" table. If I'm reading it right, I'm logging a Knock Octane Modifier value of -1 during the pull, which has a value of 0 mapped to it on the blending table, meaning I would be using the "Nominal" LSPI Reduction table. Increasing values there would allow for larger desired loads?

Most of the factory torque limits looked like they were already set pretty high, especially compared to what the transmission can probably handle. I'm already happy with the increase in torque down low, at this point I'm just trying to maintain that smooth increase as far up the rev range as possible.
    Yes, typically adding to the LSPI lets the engine experience higher loads. It got my FMEM to go away that's all I know. To my knowledge the vehicle doesn't use driver demand tables. Maybe changing the Airflow>Turbo>BOV>airmass from desired airmass to driver demand airmass would change that, but I don't feel comfortable doing that.

I am likely going to trade this car in very soon. If it's true that the car picks the driver, this car has clearly picked someone else. We just butt heads too much.

Tuner in Training
    Hey Catnip, have you traded in your fiesta yet?

I just started messing with mine, following the "HP Tuners for EcoBoost Tuning Guide V1.6" and your thread. I thought I had an idea what I was doing having tuned my Megasquirted Miata before, but holy shit I guess there's been some slight improvements since 90s-style EFI!

You also got me to order some elbows and and intercooler from Pumaspeed in the UK.