Thread: OS Upgrade Questions

Potential Tuner

OS Upgrade Questions

Noob questions here re OS upgrades:

I do not have a turbo so I assume that the 2 and 3 bar upgrades are useless for me ATM.

The other two I wonder about.

What will Speed density Enhanced give me on a basicly stock truck but mods forthcoming to help it breath.
    What will 1 bar MAF Enhanced give me?
    once I change can I go back?

Thanks but I'm old and dumber than dirt

5.3 in a 2000 Sierra 1500

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    boosted OS will not help NA applications and tend to be overkill.

enhanced SD sets the ecu up for speed density mode and sometimes real time tuning (RTT)
    enhanced MAF is the opposite of enhanced SD where the ecu is setup to be used in MAF mode sometimes with RTT options as well.

you can always change back to the standard OS by performing a write entire of a file that is not upgraded. Typically you upgrade to RTT and perform your tuning and save the files. then you go back to a tune file from the factory non-upgraded OS and transfer your RTT values into it and save as a new file.
    to finalize the ecu package you could write entire the new factory OS file that you updated and be on your way. Most users are lazy and dont like the risk of switching back and forth on the OS so they tend to just leave the vehicle running on the enhanced OS file thats all tuned i (doesnt hurt anything)
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

On a 2000 computer the 1 bar Speed density OS will also remove the secondary VE table which is great because then you only have to worry about the primary table and then both timing tables will act like factory when running in speed density. Otherwise the stock OS reverts to the low octane timing curve only when in speed density.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks folks I think I'lll leave it alone for now. Lots more to learn first.

Potential Tuner
    How can I tell if the previous tuner left the ecu in the enhanced OS file? I would like to rtt but have no idea how to do it and are changes made as you do them are do you have to write to vehicle ect.

Just getting started have completed one tune one flash at a time.

Click the calibration details tab or edit > calibration details.

It will tell you exactly what you are working with, it will either be the stock OS or it will say 1 bar MAF or SD enhanced or 2 bar etc etc.

If your tuner did use one of the upgrade-able OS's you must have the stock file to flash back to and then change it again.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.