Thread: Iphone 6 will not render to Album.

Potential Tuner

Iphone 6 will not render to Album.

Hello, I cant get TA to render to album on my Iphone 6. Phone is running IOS 11.4. 25.4 gig of 64 being used. TA version 4.0.5 . Also I have been using TA for 3 years and this problem only started happening this season. Once in awhile it will render but most times it will not.
    Thanks
    Last edited by optiguy; 07-10-2018 at 10:03 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Anybody, I need help with this issue.

Potential Tuner
    I really wish somebody would talk to me about this issue. I am getting quite frustrated. I have tried the lowest resolution and it works but I want high resolution rendering back.

I have the same issue. Iphone6 plus, 11.4.1 OS, Version 4.0.5 of the app. I have submitted a ticket but have not yet been contacted.
    Bill

I understand and share your frustrations, and I promise that this is getting attention... I was really hoping to have this resolved and could simply answer everyone's e-mails with the fix, but it is taking a bit longer to sort out. This problem started popping up somewhat recently, so I suspect that it's related to some change in iOS. It only seems to affect certain users and is apparently not affecting the majority, so while that is sort of good news, it also makes it much harder to replicate the problem here.

Addressing this issue is 1 of just 3 items remaining before we release v4.1 on iOS.

The issue I'm talking about here is where longer videos or larger video resolutions aren't getting saved to the Photo album, but smaller resolutions or shorter lengths work.

If no videos are getting saved there, then that may just be a simple permissions issue, which can be resolved by doing the following:
    1) Go into the app, tap the 'i' gear icon on the left side to access the Setup Options screen, then tap on "Set App Permissions".
    2) Under the "Photos" section, make sure the app has "Add Photos" permission.

Potential Tuner
    We recorded some sessions last week. All were 20 minute session. Permissions are set to Add photos and have always been. We changed the recording resolution to 1080 from 1080 60fps. We were able to render to Album with 2 videos requiring multiple tries. Next time we might try lowering resolution even more to 720 and see if rendering improves.

Some good news: I've made significant progress on this, and now have only two tasks outstanding before we can release the v4.1 update for iOS...

It turns out that there was a race condition with a block of video frame memory that iOS gives us while we're rendering the video output. That's what was causing the seemingly-random crashes that were difficult to reproduce.

Apparently as of iOS 11.x, an app having an explicit lock on this is not any guarantee, and iOS may just release the memory before we're done using it and unlock it. Quite frustrating, as that defeats the whole purpose of locking. Apple's suggested solution is for apps to just make their own copy right away, which doesn't sound like a true fix to me, but it does appear to be the best option available and it has resolved the crash in all of my tests so far.

It will take a little bit longer to finish up v4.1 for iOS and get it through Apple's approval and released to users. So, in the meantime, there are a few things that can reduce the odds of the problem being encountered:

1) Use the 'i' gear icon on the top right of the Video screen and change the render quality to something other than maximum.

2) Shorter videos are less likely to have issues. Less frames to render = less odds of running into the problem. This can be as simple as just selecting fewer few laps before you enter the Video screen.

3) User reports suggest that this is more common with 4K and/or 60 FPS recordings. It can still happen to 1080P @ 30 FPS, but may be less likely at that and lower resolutions.

Additionally, v4.1 will also refine the process around how we ask iOS to transfer the final result into your photo album. We don't have much control over that, and I never could get it to misbehave in my testing, but I want to be thorough here just in case that was happening to some people too.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the update. Looking forward to the next revision.