Thread: <3 TqMgmnt, Tuning Torque Management :D

<3 TqMgmnt, Tuning Torque Management :D

So I just discovered TM. And I F@(#* LOVE IT. I can't stop everyone about it. I was inline at publix and the other day and I turned around to the lady behind me and I started telling her about it.

So now I am trying to dial it in I guess. I think what I want is a little tire spin. Just a little.

The 'issue' I am having is, with TM turned way up, I can't tell if I have enough shift pressure or not. I can't tell if I am slipping. I look in my log and the RPM drop is not "fast" so it makes me think I am slipping clutches.

So I was curious if anyone wanted to share their methods for tuning this. I was just going to pull out all TM, to get the shift too "crisp" and spinning the tires like crazy. then back down shift pressure until its enough to shift fast but nothing extra. and THEN add back TM for the final reduction in tire spin.

Its a flex fuel 2-bar 411 computer, 3000lbs RWD Nissan 240sx chassis w/ 5.3 & 4l80e, 3.54:1 rear gearing & S364 Borg Warner turbocharger

This was before the new gearing (3.9 -> 3,54), torque management, and before Locked Decel, and other things so it drives a lot different now.
    Actually everyday I do something so it drives different constantly , its like a new car every day lol (I think thats what I like about this stuff, we never drive the same boring thing)
    Last edited by kingtal0n; 07-13-2018 at 12:34 PM.

Here are my results

I tried raising shift pressure main table from about 50 (it used to spin the tires with 50psi at WOT with 3.9 gears) to almost max around 93psi (of 96psi max) and I could not get a tire spinning shift out of this 4l80e. The engine is making 380-400 ft*lbs of torque so I figure 340rwtq during a shift 1-2 full pressure. It felt very strong, almost "perfect" and a couple times a slight change in the road set the tire spinning through the shift a bit. So the firmness is there. I just don't like the idea of all this crazy unnecessary pressure. It was just an experiment.

A little strange that part throttle shifts seem firmer and do generate a tire spin.

it makes me wonder if the fluid pressure is falling near 5000rpm which is where I am shifting right now for safety. But that sounds unlikely. I cannot verify without a gauge and do not intent to remove the trans or cut a hole in the side of the car to install a gauge (although if the trans started having actual issues I might have to do this one day).

So my plan was always to try lowering shift pressure to keep stress off the trans, around 40 or 50 range of psi I guess, and re-enable a TON of torque management because I love the way it sounds and how it saves the trans. I will put performance switch mode at higher pressure though.

And continue to mess with part throttle settings to see if there is some kinda correlation between them and firmness.
    Last edited by kingtal0n; 07-11-2018 at 12:16 AM.

What car and ECM/TCM is this in?

I too enjoy a little bit of TM because it keeps me from spinning too much on the 1-2nd shift in my 05 GTO with the 4l60.

Sorry I should have mentioned what car it is lol. Thread original post updated with car info & video and also when I get a chance (super lazy tho) my other laptop has the files I can get them on here as well. I might have set something WRONG there are SO MANY THINGS lol

The only thing I am not really sure of now is how much shift pressure to reduce when using torque management. It clearly doesn't slip or have trouble at "70psi" so I was thinking of trying less, 50psi, maybe.

updates:

I really prefer the way it feels with more shift pressure, even with torque management, at 80-90psi it really feels great. I have my daily driver tune in the 60-70psi range for 300-500ft*lbs of torque, and I have a "performance mode" setting with more pressure and less torque management for those moments where I want the extra kick. It does occasionally spin a bit too. Usually nicely but I've had varying experiences without any real consistency besides the fact it doesn't take long to go from one gear to the next, it just seems to do it differently sometimes, not in a bad way just in a "wow that time it set the tires spinning and I got sideways for 300ft without even realizing it until I let off" kind of way.
    Last edited by kingtal0n; 07-28-2018 at 05:34 PM.