Thread: New user- license question regarding VIN change from V6 to V8

New user- license question regarding VIN change from V6 to V8

I have the new MPVI2 on the way to start tuning my 2000 GMC 6.0L

I'm concerned about the mail order VIN that has been flashed to the PCM, well actually concerned about wasting the credits on the wrong VIN number. Steve (frost) changed somethings so the original V6 VIN would still match the vehicle. Do I license the VIN number for the V8 (quoted below) or use my original V6 VIN?

Quote Originally Posted by Frost
    Thanks; the PCM is on it's way back to you. At some point you will likely want this gone over in person. After I tuned it, I used a tool to force the VIN to your V6 VIN that matches the truck. This will be a problem for many tuners in the future. Print or forward this email to them and it will explain and tell them how to be able to work with this. Normally, if a controller like yours is setup for a 5.3/6.0/whatever, it CANNOT contain a V6 VIN since there is no V8 matching software for this VIN, only V6. You cannot flash the controller with a file from a V8 that has a V6 VIN in it, but what *I* can do is to to flash it with the V8 VIn and tune it, and THEN use a different tool to change the VIN after the fact. That let's me match it up to your truck.

So what's gonna happen is when your buddy/local shop with HPTuner's READ your ECM to start in-person tuning, it's going to give them an error after they read that will say" WARNING: VIN/OS Pair Mismatch detected, re-flashing will be disabled for this file". That means what it sounds like... they read it out, but they can't change it at all (even on their laptop, much less to actually flash) because of the VIN we are using. One the file is read out, you will open the VIN tool in HPTuner's and CHANGE THE VIN ON THE FILE to 1GCEK19TXYE27**** and then SAVE the file.

That VIN matches the actual software now being used on your truck for this motor/trans combo. Once they change this, they will be able to re-flash and tune-away on your file. If they do not have the secondary tools to put it BACK to that matching V6 VIN when it's done, and you want it done, we will do it for you/them for this instance for NO CHARGE other than shipping and handling back and forth. So you can take it somewhere and have it dyno/street (whatever, just use a wideband) tuned, and if they can't get the VIN back, you flip it back to us and I'll fix that and get it right back out. If your tuner uses many different tools, they will be able to work around this, but HPTuner's (the popular tuning choice) will not allow the mixed VIN.

How many credits needed to change the VIN in the above scenario... anyone?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    You likely will not be able to do so from the sounds of it. Not with our software.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    You likely will not be able to do so from the sounds of it. Not with our software.
    Thanks for the reply... So I can't change the VIN to the one Steve flashed for the mail order tune. I don't need the original V6 VIN on this truck as my state dose not require emission inspections. Do I need to send the PCM back to frost so the tuned VIN shows in the HP Tuners software? What dose the VIN tool actually do?

Seems to me like you're worried about a whole lot of nothing. Just tune your vehicle as you wish with the computer and vin you have now. None of the other stuff you mention matters unless you're changing pcm.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorpluto View Post
    Seems to me like you're worried about a whole lot of nothing. Just tune your vehicle as you wish with the computer and vin you have now. None of the other stuff you mention matters unless you're changing pcm.
    Why would Frost (Steve Williams) say WARNING: "VIN/OS Pair Mismatch detected" and I need to change the VIN. My concern is in using the VIN tools it's going to eat up credits? It's easy to tell I've never used HP Tuners before... just don't want to make a costly mistake. Thanks for your help.

I was successful changing the VIN without loosing credits.

Advanced Tuner
    Because the other forum does not allow uploads of this format I made a basic layout of things you should be looking at in the scanner. You will go to Layout> open layout and direct it wherever you save this file.

This is just a basic layout and is not set up for your wideband O2 sensor so it will need some adjustment.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Markmx6 View Post
    Because the other forum does not allow uploads of this format I made a basic layout of things you should be looking at in the scanner. You will go to Layout> open layout and direct it wherever you save this file.

This is just a basic layout and is not set up for your wideband O2 sensor so it will need some adjustment.
    Thanks you are a great help !