Thread: Full Throttle, Throttle Dip - at the strip totally bizarre

Tuner in Training

Full Throttle, Throttle Dip - at the strip totally bizarre

I'm getting throttle dip at full throttle!! Traction control is turned off too.

Not sure what I need to adjust, but I have the throttle completely against the floor the entire time.

Here are some pics of what i'm logging.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bAG2YuGqVnFEkPEP7

Here is the tune file.

JULY1REVISION+TIMING.hpt

Here is the Log

18-07-15 10-17-19.hpl

Car is a 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT8
    Howards cam .575 lift - new stronger beehive valve springs and tool steel retainers
    Full 3" Exhaust no cats stock headers Mopar CAI
    Last edited by rolson; 07-15-2018 at 07:26 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    looks like it detected knock & commanded throttle lift. anything banging around? mounts, headers hitting chassis, or other parts hitting?
    I have a burrito in my colon, yet refried beans come out...
    How i know it's from the same meal? I didn't ingest corn any other time.

Tuner in Training
    There's a throttle lift for knock? At .6 of a volt? how do I turn that off.....

No parts banging I was worried about a ticking noise last week, turned out to be an exhaust leak but I just checked the engine mounts. While it was up on the lift I made sure and adjusted the connections between the h-pipe and mid pipes and the rest of the exhaust system. I can recheck, but I just went through it Friday of this week it.
    Last edited by rolson; 07-15-2018 at 07:48 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Doesn't appear to be any knock detected to me... Only odd thing I'm noticing is that the "Trans Current Gear" is displaying "Unknown" during the throttle dip, whereas shortly before and after the dip, it shows Neutral and then 1st gear respectively. Seems like it might be something in the TCM torque management shutting the throttle down due to not knowing what gear it's in.

Tuner in Training
    What would cause the transmission to think it was in neutral even though its in first until I hit almost 20 mph?

I've done some minimal adjustments to torque management for the most part copying what diablo sport does with the Raised shift 91 CAI tune.

I really don't understand the whole torque management tuning very well just yet.

Someone here a transmission expert? I'd really like to know what way to go on the trans tuning. I feel like my fuel and spark is set up pretty good.

I'd like to change where my torque converter is locking up especially in first gear, it feels like it's lock up at low RPM's....
    Last edited by rolson; 07-15-2018 at 09:30 PM.

Senior Tuner
    That's normal torque management kicking in. Logging torque source will help a lot where and what torque management is kicking in. FYI one push on the TC button will not completely turn it off and it can still kick in.

The normal torque management that kicks in like you are seeing is all the "ETC" enabled switches in the Torque Management Tab of the Engine section. I usually disable all but spark, making sure I never see fuel cut nor throttle cut.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    That's normal torque management kicking in. Logging torque source will help a lot where and what torque management is kicking in. FYI one push on the TC button will not completely turn it off and it can still kick in.

The normal torque management that kicks in like you are seeing is all the "ETC" enabled switches in the Torque Management Tab of the Engine section. I usually disable all but spark, making sure I never see fuel cut nor throttle cut.
    you set friction torque to read 0.00 across the board?

Tuner in Training
    Fixed it in the Torque Management. I raised the torque limit in first gear. After logging like 06300CSRT8 suggested it showed I was momentarily going well over the peak when launching.

I also decided to log some transmission stats like torque converter lock up and output shaft speed. My transmission torque out drops like crazy once my torque converter locks up and also I can see my logged speed flattens out right after the torque converter locks.

Now the real question is can I safely set the torque converter lock up high enough so that it doesn't lock up till somewhere in second gear.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rolson View Post
    Fixed it in the Torque Management. I raised the torque limit in first gear. After logging like 06300CSRT8 suggested it showed I was momentarily going well over the peak when launching.

I also decided to log some transmission stats like torque converter lock up and output shaft speed. My transmission torque out drops like crazy once my torque converter locks up and also I can see my logged speed flattens out right after the torque converter locks.

Now the real question is can I safely set the torque converter lock up high enough so that it doesn't lock up till somewhere in second gear.
    Depends more on your power level and your torque converter. I am currently pushing through mine trying to lock it mid 3rd gear during a run, and it isn't happy, simply will not lock. But I am also north of 900wtq and it goes from 400 to 900 in about 1000 rpms as the turbos spool up.

Tuner in Training
    So me being at best right around 400 pounds will be good.

To set torque lock up that's just setting output shaft speed vs throttle vs rpm in the normal lockup section?

For example my 1-2 WOT shift is happening at about 1785 so if I wanted to keep it open through first and locked in second i'd set that TC lockup Normal at higher throttle percentages at 1785 in first gear and leave it where its at in second? So it'd engage right as it shifted?

I have my 1-2 set to 3,825 so it only locks up in 3rd and that is set to 800 800 675 675 800 800 800 800 800 5 speed
    2018 Trackhawk PCM/TCM tune by Dusterhoff.
    Flex Fuel, MMX faux 95mm TB, GripTec 2.85, 10% ATI lower, FIC1200, ARH 1 7/8 w/cats, 180 T-stat

13 Chrysler 300S, RAM BGE 412 stroker, cam motion 232/246 619/619 118 +4, ATI 18% OD pulley
    Whipple Gen5 3.0, 2.50 upper pulley, Smooth Boost controller, FIC 1200 inj. Nick W 108mm TB, FORE dual return fuel system, E85, FTI 2800 stall(SRT83380), SHR WAR Viking trans and valve body, Getrag 3.73, 1 7/8 kooks w/hi-flow cats, 3" Magnaflow Cat-back 943rwhp

Tuner in Training
    Right on, I've learned a lot in this on transmission set up.

Rolson. I have a question for you about the tune you posted at the top.

In your tune you have under ESP TqMgt you have table [ECM] 14541 set to the stock value 959 lbs-ft. Wouldn't that tell the ECM that it can reduce torque by that much using the ESP system if need be? Wouldn't a value of zero or a negative number be better? I am making the assumption that the description HPT has for that table is correct.

I have a similar question in regards to Stall TqMgt table [ECM] 36020 & 36022 Would those values be better set to zero or a negative value be better for those as well? If not perhaps I am misunderstand what the Stall TqMgt tables are for.
    Last edited by Moparmatty; 08-25-2018 at 10:55 PM.
    2006 Chrysler 300C SRT-8
    Stock headers and cats
    Mopar CAI
    Innovate dual WBO2 sensor kit
    Custom tuning by me via HPT

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparmatty View Post
    Rolson. I have a question for you about the tune you posted at the top.

In your tune you have under ESP TqMgt you have table [ECM] 14541 set to the stock value 959 lbs-ft. Wouldn't that tell the ECM that iy can reduce torque using the by that much using the ESP system if need be? Wouldn't a value of zero or a negative number be better? I am making the assumption that the description HPT has for that table is correct.

I have a similar question in regards to Stall TqMgt table [ECM] 36020 & 36022 Would those values be better set to zero or a negative value be better for those as well? If not perhaps I am misunderstand what the Stall TqMgt tables are for.
    I see that table in the caliber pcm using hpt as well. Can someone from HPT confirm the above answer?