Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MPVI2 Purchase Questions

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Stewart View Post
    Does the device support loading tunes without a laptop. I'm looking for functionality like the NGauge or SCT X4 where I can email tunes to my clients and they can load or select between E-85 or 93 octane tunes without having to connect their laptop.
    Not currently but that is the plan.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Hi Bill I'm New to the group here but have a lot of years in automotive repair and fabrication/modification.

I have read all the posts in this thread and I feel I understand one of the questions the OP asked and would like to see if i can help get a more clear answer to it as i have the same question.

OP's Question
    "I am a little unclear about what DTC’s will be displayed in VCM Scanner. Is it whatever the vehicle has or whatever VCM Scanner is capable of displaying? If it just what
    whatever VCM Scanner is capable of displaying, then how can I find out what it is capable of displaying?"

Answer From You
    "Varies from vehicle to vehicle, vcm scanner will attempt to read all the modules on the bus and show any dtc's that are being stored."

now I believe i understand what the OP is after and will try to reword it and give an example to help with answering it.

will the VCM scanner program give detailed DTC code information or just generic OBDII P codes?

Example

I have 2 Scanners in my shop. one I use for quick DTC scanning and it uses a generic OBDII and CAN interface. The other in a Modius Ultra from snap-on

the cheaper Scanner will scan a 2001 blazer and display DTC P0410 and tell me that P0410 is a Manufacturer specific code. However if I scan the same car with the modius it will display the same code but will read P0410 Secondary Air Injection System Fault.

so basically the question is Does the VCM Scanner tell what is wrong or will it just tell you the DTC code IS P0410 and make you have to google the DTC to find out what the problem is?

also i'm not going to ask the question that seems to be getting beaten like a dead horse on here but would please tell the guys in R&D to hurry it up I need a MPVI2 Pro.

I mean I could finish my little project with a MPVI1 Pro but don't really want to buy obsolete hardware and don't want to pay the skidmake down the road $200 to do a job i can do if i had the Hardware.

and I apologize for and spelling errors or missing punctuations i have a form of dyslexia called dysgraphia.
    and i just don't alway write or type words correctly

The DTC's will give a description of the code on almost everything.

Like said some models won't have it all but more do. Pretty much anything GM has the description as 90% are the same for the last 20+ years.

Internet example picture.

2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    The software will readout any code that the engine & trans modules have for a fault. It will not always give you the ability to see the live data, parameters, & past history for any trouble code shown.

example: After polling to your vehicle's specific module supported parameters; If your vehicle trips a DTC for a MAP sensor issue, it may not have the ability to show live data that you will want to see within the scanner to validate the DTC.
    I have a burrito in my colon, yet refried beans come out...
    How i know it's from the same meal? I didn't ingest corn any other time.

Potential Tuner
    hello billi have ticket #140105 I'm having problems with my mpv1 n mpv2 its giving me errors i both i i relly need at least one working but none r now pleased let know

Tuner in Training
    Hi Bill! I have a couple for questions below.

1) Is the standalone data log option for the MPVI2 available yet? If not, any ETA? Can a "regular" MPVI2 be bought then upgraded to this option later?

2) I saw something mentioned about something just for data logging. Any ETA on that?

3) I saw something mentioned about needing an Internet connection for the MPVI2. What is that for? I thought that the "license" and credits were loaded onto the MPVI2, so no Internet connection would be needed. I assume an Internet connection is not needed for data logging? Is it need for loading tunes?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    No eta for standalone datalogging on MPVI2

MPVI2 licenses are cloud based and therefore an internet connection is a requirement.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Bill! I have a couple questions about my previous message and what you said. I am a little confused about how to use the MPVI2 since I believe that VCM Scanner and VCM Editor are Windows programs.

1) To my first question, can a "regular" MPVI2 be bought then upgraded to the data logging option later?

2) To my second question, I read something about HPTuners coming out with something just to data log. I don’t know what it is. Any news on it?

3) So, to data log, I would need VCM Scanner (a Windows program), a laptop, and the MPVI2? I don't need and Internet connection for this right?

4) Is the only thing that an Internet connection is needed for is to enter a tune? I assume that this would need to be done with VCM Editor, a laptop, and the MPVI2? VCM Editor would need to be on a Windows based laptop and most laptops just have a Wi-Fi connection (no cell connection). Is there a way that a tune could be entered without a Wi-Fi connection?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    There is only the MPVI2 there is no regular or pro version, its just mpvi2.

You can purchase the pro feature set $249 separately but its ONLY a software update. The hardware doesn't change.

To datalog you need our hardware/software ie MPVI2 & VCM Suite and no internet connection is necessary for this

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Bill! I still have the 2 questions from my previous post. I put them below.

2) I read something about HPTuners coming out with something just to data log. I don’t know what it is. Any info on it?

4) Is the only thing that an Internet connection is needed for is to enter a tune? I assume that this would need to be done with VCM Suite and the MPVI2. It looks like VCM Suite would need to be on a Windows based laptop and most laptops just have a Wi-Fi connection (no cell connection) right? Is there a way that a tune could be entered without a Wi-Fi connection?

He did answer your 1st question though. You have to have the MPVI2 to data log, there isn't any other product that they have or are making. You need the MPVI2 and the downloaded software if you wish you use is as just a logging tool.

Yes, you'd need/want a windows laptop. He said the licenses are cloud based, so you need internet to license them. The reason for the internet is to re-sync the interface. As far as I am aware and from this thread a little while ago, once you have re-synced the interface it will depend on what you are tuning if you need an internet connection all the time. Something really old wouldn't need internet but if it was really new like 2017+ GM or nissan or something like that, you'd need internet all the time for viewing and flashing files.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...99-02-0411-pcm

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    How do you know that HPTuners is not making something just for data logging? Bill replied to a question that I had about "it would be nice if there was a cheap way to data log" and Bill replied "We have something in the works, no eta though".

I read the thread that you provided, but it was a little vague. I want to know exactly when I would need an Internet connection in case Wi-Fi is not available. If I could "license" a file on the laptop with Internet access, it would be great if I did not need Internet access after that to enter a tune. So, is this the case to "license" a file? Or is it just to "license" some files? If just to "license" some files, what can't be done like that?

You'd think he would have said something in the 2 previous posts if they were making something. But instead he said you need the MPVI2 to datalog.

I'm not sure how it's still vague. The "internet" must be present to license the tune because the credits are cloud based. Past that it completely depends on what you are trying to tune when it comes to still needing the internet. There are so many vehicles this software supports so I can't tell you everything here because I don't even know what you own or are wanting to tune. Just know that some must be connected to the internet at all time to even flash a file.

Tuner in Training
    I was hoping that Bill would respond to the "new data logging device" since he is the one that mentioned it in another one of my threads. I had to repeat questions, so I thought that maybe he missed the question.

By "vague", I meant that you never know who on here knows what they are talking about. I actually have the 0411 PCM, but I don't know if the answer is right or not since someone from HPTuners did not answer the question. I also may want to use the MPVI2 for another PCM. Even your response in the provided thread said "If this is wrong, please correct me" which implies that you are not sure.

I think that HPTuners should have a whole info sheet under the MPVI2 purchase area that has all the info of using it instead of having to use the forum to find out what it can do. Having to go though all these headaches to get answers is why I reluctant to purchase the MPVI2.

Tuner in Training
    I don't understand why hordes of users aren't besieging this thread demanding the Pro Features functions promised more than a year ago. Still no clue when to expect any feature other than a 0-5v input!

Is this the kind of customer support HPTuners wants to be famous for? Or are you binging off the profits from your base units and can't make it into work to follow up on your promises.

IBM used to be accused of selling Vaporware when promised features never got released. Did you guys hire one of their marketing types?

I bought your Pro Feature upgrade and purchased an AEM AFR meter because of their AEMCan interface. This only to after I couldn't find any instructions, that you people don't know how to do it and don't know when you will get around to learning how.

This thread may help too.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...2-requirements

It's new applications that are only supported with the MPVI2 that need the internet to view the files. There would be some kind of uproar or tons of other posts if you couldn't tune a P01 computer in an empty parking lot like 90% of us do.

Tuner in Training
    5FDP, Thanks for the quick reply but I don't think you understand my situation.

I have purchased an MPVI2 and used the provided license credit for my vehicle. While using a class from The Tuning School, I was told I would need to use AFR gauge for WOT tuning. In order to include the AFR input to my scans, I needed to buy the Pro Feature Set including the Pro Link connector.

The Pro Feature Set was to include 2 each 0-5V inputs and 1 each CANbus Input. In addition, several other features were promised as future enhancements. While I can tolerate a few bits of Vaporware, the only functioning portions to date are the 2 each 0-5V inputs. In the year since release there has been exactly ZERO promised features added.

This is similar to Samsung Cell phones that were sold with the promise of future enhancements only to have the phone superseded by another model before ATT got around to releasing their version of the updates.

My complaint has absolutely nothing to do with the old version MPVI or old files.

My reply was to JohnL above yours.

I can understand your issue though and have no real response to that other than depending on vehicle they do make OBD2 can-bus widebands or you can wire them into 5v reference circuits on some GM computers. Again that doesn't work for everyone.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for your answers 5FDP! It took a while for me to respond since I had some other stuff going on. djwarner, it doesn't seem that complaining would do any good. It looks like HPTuners is the main tuning software and they can do whatever they want. I haven't even purchased the MPVI2 yet and I don't want to based on support for getting questions answered. I have to post a question on the forum and hope that somebody answers. I have a great app that data logs the parameters that I need, which is all I need for now, but the log file can't be opened by VCM Scanner and my tuner uses HPTuners. Thankfully, there are companies like Holley that are developing self-tuning setups. I have been in contact with Holley and their support is great.

Potential Tuner
    Got some questions before i purchase this:

My vehicle has been tuned using another OBD2 interface (not HPTuner).

Will i be able to use this mpvi2 to access the ECU to:
    1) data log
    2) download the tune file, make changes and write it back

Thanks