Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MPVI2 Purchase Questions

Tuner in Training

MPVI2 Purchase Questions

I am interested in purchasing the MPVI2. I emailed my questions to sales and was told "Our device is not setup to use Bluetooth at this time, nor is it ready for use on android. It is only windows based at this time". Since I found different on this forum, I am posting all of my questions to get the correct answers.

1) Are both MPVI2 and the Pro Feature Set available? If not, when?

2) What is the pricing for the MPVI2? The Pro Feature Set? Your website shows ?Pro Feature Set License? for $249.99, but a total of $299.99 with 0 credits.

3) Do I need to buy any credits if I am not using the Editor to change my tune?

4) Does the Scanner/Editor software come with the MPVI2? If not, what does it cost? What versions of Windows is it compatible with? How many machines can I have it on? I currently have a PC, but may get a laptop in the future.

5) The current tool that I have has a secure Bluetooth setup. Does the MPVI2 have a secure setup? What Android version is it for?

6) My current tool reads generic diagnostic codes with vehicle specific codes purchasable for $10? How does the MPVI2 work with vehicle specific codes? Do I have to purchase it for my vehicle? If so, what is the cost?

7) I read that the MPVI2 has expandable internal memory. What kind of memory and what is it expandable to?

8) How do I read/clear diagnostic codes? With either an android phone or laptop?

9) With the Pro Feature Set, how do I datalog? Initialize it with the phone? Then I can see it on my phone or download it to my PC?

10) Can I datalog without the Pro Feature Set? If so, would the log go to my phone? Or would I need a laptop?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I am interested in purchasing the MPVI2. I emailed my questions to sales and was told "Our device is not setup to use Bluetooth at this time, nor is it ready for use on android. It is only windows based at this time". Since I found different on this forum, I am posting all of my questions to get the correct answers.
    1) Are both MPVI2 and the Pro Feature Set available? If not, when?
    MPVI2 is available
    Pro feature set is still a work in progress, no eta

2) What is the pricing for the MPVI2? The Pro Feature Set? Your website shows ?Pro Feature Set License? for $249.99, but a total of $299.99 with 0 credits.
    Correct $299 for MPVI2 and $249 for the pro feature set

3) Do I need to buy any credits if I am not using the Editor to change my tune?
    No, if you have no plans to use the editor you do not need to buy any credits

4) Does the Scanner/Editor software come with the MPVI2? If not, what does it cost? What versions of Windows is it compatible with? How many machines can I have it on? I currently have a PC, but may get a laptop in the future.
    Yes it comes with the MPVI2, its free, you could even install the software NOT being a customer. Windows 7, 8, 10 & vista. Multiple machines, no limit.

6) My current tool reads generic diagnostic codes with vehicle specific codes purchasable for $10? How does the MPVI2 work with vehicle specific codes? Do I have to purchase it for my vehicle? If so, what is the cost?
    You would need to purchase an MPVI2 in order to read dtc's for your vehicles ecm/tcm

7) I read that the MPVI2 has expandable internal memory. What kind of memory and what is it expandable to?
    8gb card, however we do not recommend expanding it as it requires opening your interface which we certainly don't recommend doing.

8) How do I read/clear diagnostic codes? With either an android phone or laptop?
    via VCM Scanner diagnostic section

9) With the Pro Feature Set, how do I datalog? Initialize it with the phone? Then I can see it on my phone or download it to my PC?
    TBD, work in progress

10) Can I datalog without the Pro Feature Set? If so, would the log go to my phone? Or would I need a laptop?
    yes, via laptop or track addict app, laptop scanning is much more robust.
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 07-20-2018 at 11:15 AM.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the answer Bill! There were two questions that you missed and I have couple more that I put below.

1) The current tool that I have has a secure Bluetooth setup. Does the MPVI2 have a secure setup? What Android version is it for?

2) For diagnostic codes, are there just generic ones available or vehicle specific ones also. If vehicle specific ones are available, is that extra?

3) You said that I need Scanner to read diagnostic codes. Can't this be done with Track Addict?

4) Datalogging is an important feature for me. Can you elaborate how laptop scanning is much more robust? Couldn't the phone store a better datalogging? Does the MPVI2 come with a cable to connect to a laptop?

5) Where is the datalogging stored? On the phone with Track Addict? On the laptop with Scanner? I am asking because of the available memory on MPVI2.

6) I seem to understand that datalogging without a laptop will require the Pro Feature Set. Is that right? Can you explain why I would need the Pro Feature Set for this? Couldn't Track Addict initialize a logging either on the phone or MPVI2 (then downloaded to a PC or laptop and opened with Scanner). Do you know when this feature will be available?

7) What is the purpose of having expandable memory if it is not something that you recommend? Can I buy one with expanded memory?

8) I have a tuner who uses HP Tuners. The tuner has the license for my car on his laptop. Is there a way that I could update my tune with the MPVI2?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    2) For diagnostic codes, are there just generic ones available or vehicle specific ones also. If vehicle specific ones are available, is that extra?
    the vcm scanner will try to scan all the modules it can support and will show whatever dtc's it sees being set
    3) You said that I need Scanner to read diagnostic codes. Can't this be done with Track Addict?
    Not currently

4) Datalogging is an important feature for me. Can you elaborate how laptop scanning is much more robust? Couldn't the phone store a better datalogging? Does the MPVI2 come with a cable to connect to a laptop?
    more parameters, mpvi2 comes with a cable to connect to a laptop, phone is always going to be more limited.

5) Where is the datalogging stored? On the phone with Track Addict? On the laptop with Scanner? I am asking because of the available memory on MPVI2.
    datalogs are stored on your laptop but in the future you'll be able to standalone datalog many applications which would go directly on the mpvi2 memory(pro feature set only)

6) I seem to understand that datalogging without a laptop will require the Pro Feature Set. Is that right? Can you explain why I would need the Pro Feature Set for this? Couldn't Track Addict initialize a logging either on the phone or MPVI2 (then downloaded to a PC or laptop and opened with Scanner). Do you know when this feature will be available?
    pro feature set required

7) What is the purpose of having expandable memory if it is not something that you recommend? Can I buy one with expanded memory?
    Its something we are considering doing but 8gb is enough space to store thousands of tunes, unless you are trying to store movies on your mpvi2 you'll likely never need anything larger.

8) I have a tuner who uses HP Tuners. The tuner has the license for my car on his laptop. Is there a way that I could update my tune with the MPVI2?
    yes, you would read your vehicle, license it on your interface & tune away.

Tuner in Training
    When I go to the "upgrade" section for my MPVI1, it says the MPVI2 is out of stock, yet it looks like I can purchase a new one. This a website bug?

I'm thinking of upgrading but might sell it to a friend, if I don't I'd do it at a later date If I pay $299 for the MPVI2 but the upgrade is $189, would I get a credit back? Discount on the pro upgrade? SoL? What about consolidating one or two VIN to the MPVI2 and not upgrading the entire thing?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonCzerak View Post
    When I go to the "upgrade" section for my MPVI1, it says the MPVI2 is out of stock, yet it looks like I can purchase a new one. This a website bug?

I'm thinking of upgrading but might sell it to a friend, if I don't I'd do it at a later date If I pay $299 for the MPVI2 but the upgrade is $189, would I get a credit back? Discount on the pro upgrade? SoL? What about consolidating one or two VIN to the MPVI2 and not upgrading the entire thing?
    Not a website bug, just not ready to offer upgrades yet.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Not a website bug, just not ready to offer upgrades yet.
    Any insight into my upgrade questions? Specifically around a later upgrade?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    No you would not receive a credit back nor a discount.

Tuner
    When will upgrades be available... any idea?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    soon

Tuner in Training
    Thanks again Bill for the answers. Sorry, but I still have more questions below.

1) Is there a reason that you are not answering if the MPVI2 has a secure setup and what Android version it is for?

2) I am a little unclear about what DTC’s will be displayed in VCM Scanner. Is it whatever the vehicle has or whatever VCM Scanner is capable of displaying? If it just what whatever VCM Scanner is capable of displaying, then how can I find out what it is capable of displaying?

3) Do you know when Track Addict will be able to read diagnostic codes? Your website sort of implies that Track Addict can do it now.

4) Are you saying that to update the tune in my car with the MPVI2 that I would need to buy the credits for my vehicle even though my tuner already has my vehicle licensed on his laptop?

5) Can VCM Scanner be used without the MPVI2? If so, what would be the cost? Do you sell the cable to the diagnostic port?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    1) Is there a reason that you are not answering if the MPVI2 has a secure setup and what Android version it is for?
    Because I don't know the answer

2) I am a little unclear about what DTC’s will be displayed in VCM Scanner. Is it whatever the vehicle has or whatever VCM Scanner is capable of displaying? If it just what whatever VCM Scanner is capable of displaying, then how can I find out what it is capable of displaying?
    Varies from vehicle to vehicle, vcm scanner will attempt to read all the modules on the bus and show any dtc's that are being stored

3) Do you know when Track Addict will be able to read diagnostic codes? Your website sort of implies that Track Addict can do it now.
    I believe it can with MPVI2, but you might consider asking that in the track addict section of our forum which is monitored by the engineer who designed it and adds features to it

4) Are you saying that to update the tune in my car with the MPVI2 that I would need to buy the credits for my vehicle even though my tuner already has my vehicle licensed on his laptop?
    Yes that is exactly what I'm saying

5) Can VCM Scanner be used without the MPVI2? If so, what would be the cost? Do you sell the cable to the diagnostic port?
    No VCM Scanner cannot be used without the MPVI2
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 07-27-2018 at 02:20 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Are there any plans for MPVI2 to support ABS diagnostic functions etc?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by HackAbuse View Post
    Are there any plans for MPVI2 to support ABS diagnostic functions etc?
    like what? turning off abs? Not likely anytime soon.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    like what? turning off abs? Not likely anytime soon.
    Just to read/clear codes. Having to track someone down with a more advanced scan tool every time I get an ABS code can be taxing, and I have quite a few customers looking to diagnose similar issues.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by HackAbuse View Post
    Just to read/clear codes. Having to track someone down with a more advanced scan tool every time I get an ABS code can be taxing, and I have quite a few customers looking to diagnose similar issues.
    email support, we might be able to look into that further for you.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Bill for answering my additional questions. I am almost done. I wouldn't have brought up the one question again if I knew that you did not know the answer.

1) To verify, I don't need any credits to see DTCs with the MPVI2?

2) To verify, to datalog with a laptop using VCM Scanner (which is included with the MPVI2), I don't need anything (including NO credits) other than the MPVI2?

3) Is there a way to find out which parameters are listed in datalogging with VCM Scanner without having the MPVI2? I currently have an $80 Bluetooth diagnostic tool that does datalogging. I am trying to see if your tool does more.
    Last edited by JohnL; 07-27-2018 at 12:05 AM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    1) Just to verify, to datalog with a laptop using VCM Scanner (which is included with the MPVI2), I don't need anything (including NO credits) other than the MPVI2?
    You can use the scanner without consuming any credits
    2) Is there a way to find out which parameters are included using the MPVI2? I currently have an $80 Bluetooth diagnostic tool that does datalogging. I am trying to see if your tool does more.
    Unfortunately not as it varies from vehicle to vehicle, only true way would be to actually own our hardware.

Does the device support loading tunes without a laptop. I'm looking for functionality like the NGauge or SCT X4 where I can email tunes to my clients and they can load or select between E-85 or 93 octane tunes without having to connect their laptop.
    2013 Mustang GT - Twin Turbo
    2016 Mustang GT
    2011 Suburban Z71 - Tow Machine

Potential Tuner
    Hi Bill

I have both the MVPI and MVPI2 tuners my MVPI has 8 GM credits that I would like to transfer to the new MVPI2 unit, I was told I would have to send in the MVPI unit for this to be done. Where do I send it to and what do I need to know ? Thanks