Thread: 99 Suburban 0411 Swap - Simple Question

99 Suburban 0411 Swap - Simple Question

I broke this out from my other thread since that was more 80E swap related. We're now on to doing an 411 swap and I want to get this right. Maybe it's PTSD from burning 6 credits doing a 3bar MAP OS upgrade years ago, and still not getting RTT capability.

Anyway, I have a 99 suburban and a 411 PCM out of a 2002 Tahoe (I believe). I'd like to have the Suburban's VIN in the new 411, but in the VIN Wizard says the VIN "must be of a year that has supported this OS at any time." I'm pretty sure my Suburban's VIN never had a 411 PCM's OS, otherwise I wouldn't be here. Opening a 2002 Express Van file and putting in the Suburban's VIN gives me a nice error "Invalid VIN/OS Pair." Why do I care so much? Emissions testing.

As for licenses, how do I do this? I assume I should license the Suburban now with the black box VCM.
    Check! That way I have the ability to work with the VIN. I then install the 411 PCM and then read the file from it and license that vehicle (2002 Tahoe I think). What about the VIN in the Express Van tune I have? When it comes time to write the Express Van file to the 411 can I put the 99 Suburban VIN using the steps in the Help menu (ign on/off steps) at that time? Even though a 99 VIN never used the 2002 Express van OS I don't want to get this far just to be screwed?
    2000 ECSB Sierra, with a lot of tuning to do.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by vanillagorilla View Post
    I broke this out from my other thread since that was more 80E swap related. We're now on to doing an 411 swap and I want to get this right. Maybe it's PTSD from burning 6 credits doing a 3bar MAP OS upgrade years ago, and still not getting RTT capability.

Anyway, I have a 99 suburban and a 411 PCM out of a 2002 Tahoe (I believe). I'd like to have the Suburban's VIN in the new 411, but in the VIN Wizard says the VIN "must be of a year that has supported this OS at any time." I'm pretty sure my Suburban's VIN never had a 411 PCM's OS, otherwise I wouldn't be here. Opening a 2002 Express Van file and putting in the Suburban's VIN gives me a nice error "Invalid VIN/OS Pair." Why do I care so much? Emissions testing.

As for licenses, how do I do this? I assume I should license the Suburban now with the black box VCM.
    Check! That way I have the ability to work with the VIN. I then install the 411 PCM and then read the file from it and license that vehicle (2002 Tahoe I think). What about the VIN in the Express Van tune I have? When it comes time to write the Express Van file to the 411 can I put the 99 Suburban VIN using the steps in the Help menu (ign on/off steps) at that time? Even though a 99 VIN never used the 2002 Express van OS I don't want to get this far just to be screwed?
    Don't license the Blake box, it's not worth it! I'm almost positive you can't use you VIN with the 0411. My 98 Z71 has the express van VIN. I live in a non-emissions county in Texas so they never plug into the truck at all. Only look for check engine light.

Ok, so I did the swap anyway. It was super easy thanks to Lextech's spreadsheet and all the info on here and the interwebs. I used the 2002 Express Van 5.7 with 60E tune from the repository and it fired right up. No troubles bubbles. I have done jack squat in regards to tuning other than changing the gear ratio/tire size/revs per mile and I can already feel how much better it runs. Definitely improved throttle response and midrange power. I like how it shifts more so than the black box too.

I'm still stuck with a VIN for a van, so I'm going to have to deal with that at some point. Emissions testing here does scan the barcode on the VIN tag on the dash, so we'll find out in September if it's an issue. The next step is putting in the 80E.
    2000 ECSB Sierra, with a lot of tuning to do.

Advanced Tuner
    I highly recommend making sure you absolutely need to change the VIN. Even when they plug your vehicle into the testing facility they don't always care about the VIN. Phoenix, AZ is like this. You may be able to change the VIN, but then you will have to re-license the PCM and it may become an invalid VIN/OS pair and leave you with a PCM that can't be modified again (With HPTuners)

I am still running a van VIN in my suburban and just went through emissions a couple months ago, with no hiccups.

Potential Tuner
    I am currently in pretty much the same situation. I have a 411 PCM from a Sierra truck (not sure of the year exactly) that I will be repinning from a black box harness. I also have downloaded the 2002 Savana file from the repository. Do I just upload this file with the VIN that is currently in it, directly into the 411, overriding the Sierra file? Is it that simple or am I missing something.

Some reading I have done indicates possible damage if a full upload is done to a PCM. Not sure where I saw that or why that would be possible.

As for a VIN, the truck is a 1952 chevy with an S10 chassis under it so an original VIN would not be possible. My engine is a crate L31 Vortec, so again no dedicated VIN or exact year.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tuner in Training

write entire

Quote Originally Posted by bmg View Post
    I am currently in pretty much the same situation. I have a 411 PCM from a Sierra truck (not sure of the year exactly) that I will be repinning from a black box harness. I also have downloaded the 2002 Savana file from the repository. Do I just upload this file with the VIN that is currently in it, directly into the 411, overriding the Sierra file? Is it that simple or am I missing something.

Some reading I have done indicates possible damage if a full upload is done to a PCM. Not sure where I saw that or why that would be possible.

As for a VIN, the truck is a 1952 chevy with an S10 chassis under it so an original VIN would not be possible. My engine is a crate L31 Vortec, so again no dedicated VIN or exact year.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Since the VIN is of no concern to you just Write entire the 2002 OS to your ECM and its Vin will show on that OS you just created.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Tuned View Post
    Since the VIN is of no concern to you just Write entire the 2002 OS to your ECM and its Vin will show on that OS you just created.

This is great news. You just made my day.

Thanks.