Thread: Questions About VIN Swapping

Questions About VIN Swapping

Okay.. Let's see if I can explain this in the quickest way possible. Started with a 411 PCM from a 2000 truck. I licensed the PCM and began tuning. Everything is good with the tune/truck/programming until I swapped in electric fans. Figured out the O/S that was on the original PCM could not properly run the fans. At that point, I swapped the O/S (and had to pay 2 credits for the new O/S) AND I also changed the VIN in the tune to the correct VIN # for my truck. This is where the problem started. My truck originally was a V6 truck. I noticed immediately after doing a WRITE ENTIRE with the new O/S and inputting the trucks original VIN # that the tach is now reading incorrectly. Tach was SPOT ON PERFECT before the O/S VIN swap. I believe the PCM is using the VIN to determine how many cylinders and the tach is off (high) because of the VIN I put in.

Today, I tried to change the VIN back to the original VIN # that was tied to the computer as it was a V8 VIN. HP Tuners is telling me that I have not licensed that VIN... But I DID. So, I went and looked at all of my licenses in HPT and tried to use those VIN #'s and same message-I have to pay 2 credits to change the VIN. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? I just want to change the VIN to fix the tach settings. The 2nd reason I'm wanting to change the VIN back to a V8 VIN is because I'm having a misfire and when I plug in my Snap On Solus scanner-it only tracks misfire data on 6 cylinders!!!!!!!! Am I really going to have to spend $100 just to swap my VIN to a V8 VIN???? Is there a way to work around this?

Tuner in Training
    Interested in this as well.. Hopefully someone has an answer soon. Thanks

I think it's going to be just one more of those SUPER GOOFY things that HP Tuners does. I was kind of expecting someone to say "find someone with EFI live and they can fix that for you".

Maybe I should just send HP TUners a message directly and see what their thoughts are.

I would message hptuners and see if they can straighten it out for you. I can?t imagine them making you pay another $100 if you have already licensed the first VIN.

from what I understand u have to pay to change vin numbers haven't tried first hand yet but will be soon as the state I live in requires obd2 testing both vin numbers have to match or its a fail state inspection

Having the same issue with Vin change. Working on '03 Silverado I had already licensed. PCM goes bad so we installed one from an '03 Tahoe. Licensed that PCM and when I try to change the Vin to match the '03 Silverado I've already licensed, it asked me for 2 more credits. This doesn't seem right at all. I've already spent $200 licensing both PCMs. Any help on this form HPT guys???
    Paul
    Modern Muscle Motorsports
    www.modernmusclemotorsports.com
    Custom tuning using Diablosport, SCT, HP Tuners, Tuner Cat, FAST & Holley
    Dynojet 224x mobile dyno

You're creating a new VIN/OS on that computer, thus more credits.

Because you do not have not all GEN 3 computers unlocked, you can't just changes VINs are your own will. Or you also do not have all 2003 model year tahoe's unlocked, so same thing with the VIN change.

This is how I understand it.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

5FDP, here is the e-mail I got from HP TUners regarding the issue;

HP Tuners Support

Jul 25 (5 days ago)

to me
    ====== Please reply above this line ======

Thank you for contacting support

In this case we need the following:
    1) The stock file you read from the PCM
    2) The file you are writing to the PCM when the issue occurs
    3) A vcm suite infolog while connected to the vehicle in question
    4) The debug.dat file found in your \....\Documents\HP Tuners\Setting folder

Once we receive the requested information we will look over it and take appropriate action. VCM Suite Info logs contain important information that our staff can use to help further assist you with your issue. Debug.dat file contains information about the reading/flashing process that our staff can use to determine what happened during the flash/read process.

Corey Clayton
    HP Tuners LLC

Can anyone here please help me understand exactly what it is they are asking of me?
    #1. I can provide the ORIGINAL tune from the computer BEFORE I ever licensed it to my truck.. I don't understand why they want that, but hey, if they really want to see the ORIGINAL programming on the PCM in my truck, I'll gladly submit that to them even though I don't understand their need for it.
    #2. How can I submit a copy of the file to them that I'm trying to burn? I can't save the file WITHOUT PAYING THE 2 EXTRA CREDITS. Do they want me to just send them a copy of the file WITHOUT THE CHANGED VIN #?????????
    #3. Is this just a log of me driving the vehicle with the current tune (with incorrect VIN#)? What the hell are they asking me for here? PLEASE someone break this down for me and explain exactly what it is they are asking of me.
    #4. I have NO IDEA what the heck this is, or how to provide it. PLEASE someone break this down for me and explain exactly what it is they are asking of me.

If I understand their reason for requesting this, I come up with several conclusions.. #1. We SHOULD be able to change VIN's without paying extra credits and something is wrong with our software. #2. The guy responding does not understand what I'm asking and is wanting me to provide additional information so that he can drill down on what I'm trying to accomplish. #3. The tech does not know that you CANNOT change VIN #'s without paying the extra credits.

If anyone can help me provide the information they are requesting-even if it's taking us down a rabbit hole-I'd surely appreciate the help. I will provide ANY/ALL that they request just to see where this goes.
    Last edited by 1364838952; 07-30-2018 at 06:58 PM.

Welcome to my nightmare!

I also have a 2000 GMC V6 truck to V8 and swapped the ECM to a 0411 too. I sent the computer out for a mail order tune by a well known and established tuner. He flashed it with a V8 Silverado VIN but used some other tools to insert my V6 VIN. Truck ran like crap so I bought HPTuners to try to straighten out the tuning issues. Tried to change the VIN to the V8 VIN number the tuner emailed me... bang $100 in credits gone just like that. Was told to license it as it sits... bang $100 credits gone just like that.

Sent the ECM back to the tuner and he flashed the V6 VIN to the correct V8 matching OS/VIN. Installed it and I was happy to see one my previous licenses attempts worked. It's gonna cost credits unless you know someone with a tech2 or similar device that can re-flash the V8 VIN back to the matching OS... mismatched os/vin = no go with HPTuners. I'm now able to tune and running so much better. I learned my lesson with mismatching vin/os it indeed can be a nightmare for a novice like me.
    Last edited by RedXray; 07-30-2018 at 09:43 PM.

I understand what you are saying about a mismatched O/S & VIN.. However, I PAID the two credits to download and install the correct O/S, so now that VIN, the one associated with the tune/OS that I PAID FOR should be able to be installed, or flashed, onto my computer.. But IT IS NOT.. HP Tuners wants me to pay $100 MORE just to change the VIN on a computer that I have now paid for $200 in credits towards already... In short, I can't revert back to a VIN that was previously assigned to this PCM without paying HP Tuners $100 again.. If that is the way HP Tuners wants to do business-I don't understand it, but if there was something in the "Terms of service" that I checked off on then I guess I'm the dumb-ass here. Otherwise, I should be able to revert back to a VIN that was LICENSED to the same PCM, and I'm not able to do that. That's all I'm wanting. I want to be able to PUT BACK the same VIN I already licensed, and assigned to this PCM. I'm not trying to scam HP Tuners, or cheat them out of anything.. I just want to revert back to a previous setting that was already on the PCM, that I already licensed, and that HP Tuners has already been paid for.

Let's look at it another way.. Let's say you decide you want to revert back to a previous tune that you were running on your LICENSED PCM.. Would you be okay with HP Tuners asking you to pay another $100 just to revert back to a previous tune? That's where I'm at..

Can someone from HP Tuners please chime in? I think charging another $100 for just a vin swap when I licensed both PCMs seems excessive.
    Paul
    Modern Muscle Motorsports
    www.modernmusclemotorsports.com
    Custom tuning using Diablosport, SCT, HP Tuners, Tuner Cat, FAST & Holley
    Dynojet 224x mobile dyno

Tuner in Training
    Yes, bringing up an old thread**

Sometimes it flat out feels, as if they are more worried about a 'fraction of a %' stealing a License by VIN swapping, over the masses of us that need to swap PCMs, considering OS upgrades, etc.

If you actually think about it, if we are; 'modifying, tuning, changing, upgrading, etc' and chance's are, Well, we are going to need to swap our PCM in the future. This happened to me twice.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RedXray View Post
    Welcome to my nightmare!

I also have a 2000 GMC V6 truck to V8 and swapped the ECM to a 0411 too. I sent the computer out for a mail order tune by a well known and established tuner. He flashed it with a V8 Silverado VIN but used some other tools to insert my V6 VIN. Truck ran like crap so I bought HPTuners to try to straighten out the tuning issues. Tried to change the VIN to the V8 VIN number the tuner emailed me... bang $100 in credits gone just like that. Was told to license it as it sits... bang $100 credits gone just like that.

Sent the ECM back to the tuner and he flashed the V6 VIN to the correct V8 matching OS/VIN. Installed it and I was happy to see one my previous licenses attempts worked. It's gonna cost credits unless you know someone with a tech2 or similar device that can re-flash the V8 VIN back to the matching OS... mismatched os/vin = no go with HPTuners. I'm now able to tune and running so much better. I learned my lesson with mismatching vin/os it indeed can be a nightmare for a novice like me.
    This is great info and wish it would be stickied or on a FAQ page. I am swapping a 3800 in place of a 3400 and obviously want to keep the original VIN of the vehicle. I will have to try and change the BCM and SDM VINs to match so I don't throw a mismatch on the vehicle system. Just sucks because I was hoping to have the VCM VIN match the actual vehicle to make it "complete".

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 1364838952 View Post
    Okay.. Let's see if I can explain this in the quickest way possible. Started with a 411 PCM from a 2000 truck. I licensed the PCM and began tuning. Everything is good with the tune/truck/programming until I swapped in electric fans. Figured out the O/S that was on the original PCM could not properly run the fans. At that point, I swapped the O/S (and had to pay 2 credits for the new O/S) AND I also changed the VIN in the tune to the correct VIN # for my truck. This is where the problem started. My truck originally was a V6 truck. I noticed immediately after doing a WRITE ENTIRE with the new O/S and inputting the trucks original VIN # that the tach is now reading incorrectly. Tach was SPOT ON PERFECT before the O/S VIN swap. I believe the PCM is using the VIN to determine how many cylinders and the tach is off (high) because of the VIN I put in.

Today, I tried to change the VIN back to the original VIN # that was tied to the computer as it was a V8 VIN. HP Tuners is telling me that I have not licensed that VIN... But I DID. So, I went and looked at all of my licenses in HPT and tried to use those VIN #'s and same message-I have to pay 2 credits to change the VIN. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? I just want to change the VIN to fix the tach settings. The 2nd reason I'm wanting to change the VIN back to a V8 VIN is because I'm having a misfire and when I plug in my Snap On Solus scanner-it only tracks misfire data on 6 cylinders!!!!!!!! Am I really going to have to spend $100 just to swap my VIN to a V8 VIN???? Is there a way to work around this?
    if you have a buddy at a dealer, ask him to do it, I can change vins with their equipment

Potential Tuner
    Hello everyone! How did you solve this problem?
    I have 2 PCM e38, I spent 4 credits on them. I want to swap them in order to check their performance, and they require 2 more credits from me ...
    Hello, HPtuners, can you hear me ???

Is each computer asking for 1 more credit each?

If they are you should re-read the computer without the fuel pump control module, that extra module costs 1 more credit. If you read the file without it you can save your tune and write it to the vehicle without it asking for more credits.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

i am very soon hoping to do a LS swap 5.3L from a 2010 gmc sierra.... into a 2009 chevy colorado...... knowing this "could" be simply a costly fetch up..... i intend to use my original 2009 vin.... with only the engine code of the vin, of the 5.3..... essentially trick it into thinking it was sent from the factory with the 5.3 option that the colodo did have, even tho mine was only the 4cyl colorado, i have never used HP tuners yet, but with this swap i may need to buy it, and reasearching all i cane in the 5 month i have before the swap takes place. on a SUPER tight budget and cant afford my truck being down..... say nothing about things going wrong during the swap... and reprogram.... i need my colorado back ASAP... at least running on the road
    Last edited by Lordcyclone2011; 11-30-2021 at 06:55 PM.