Thread: Lope and Die After Tune with Boost Pressure Override

Potential Tuner

Lope and Die After Tune with Boost Pressure Override

Hey all, so I'm fairly new to this whole tuning thing. I've done a few Duramaxs without any major problems but now I'm trying to tune my 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 with a 5.9 Cummins in it. The Cummins tuning is sorta different compared to the Duramax but I like a challenge. Well most of the time, this latest one is started to get to me. I need to know if I have found a bug in the HP Tuners software, if something is wrong with my MPVI2 or if something is wrong with my truck.

So here is the story:

I "read" the vehicle with VCM Editor and saved a stock file. After I had my stock saved I started to do a little messing around. I didn't want to get to crazy at first, only play with some settings and parameters as far as fan speed, idle speed, and the pto idle option. While I was in there I decided I was going to modify the torque limiting a little and a few of the main injection limits. Well one of the things I did was disabled the Boost Pressure Override option, thinking this give me more low end fueling. Well I made my changes and saved the file, and then plugged into my truck and hit "write"

VCM Editor said initializing and then failed, and the gauge cluster on my truck has the check engine light flashing and the trans temp light is on solid. I cycled the key and the same happened with the dash lights, tried to start engine and it just cranked. So I tried the write process again, this time it went through the initializing stage and the entire write process. Got to the end, cycled key and tried to start engine. Engine cranks and fires but starts loping and then dies after a few seconds. Every time I start it it will lope and die, if I push the throttle it does absolutely nothing. So I flashed the truck back to stock and it went fine, and starts and runs fine. So I decide it must be something in my tune that is causing this. I go through and check everything, keep in mind I haven't changed any timing, or fuel values, just injection limits and torque limit. I start tweaking my tune file back towards the stock one, one setting at a time and trying to flash to see what happens. Well every time I would remove something I changed and try and flash and it would fail initializing the first time and the write the second. But, it will do its lope and die fit if I try and start it. Flashing back to stock works on the first go every time and the truck runs fine. Finally the last thing I had to try and turn off was the Boost Pressure Override setting, so I re enabled it, saved the file and tried to write it. Got through the initializing process fine and wrote to the truck. I cycled key and it cranked right up and ran fine.

I have this problem if I disable the override or even if I just tweak the boost limit map.

So after hours of tweaking and reflashing I'm pretty darn sure I at least found what was causing the problem, but can anyone tell me what the problem is?

I'm very green to this tuning thing, just learning as I go, one reflash at a time. Is this just something I'm missing?

Thanks for any help, now off to do some more learning about this Cummins tuning. I work as a heavy truck mechanic for most of the hours of my life, and have rebuilt plenty of motors, I've seen what happens when someone decides they need to fuel or time to the moon and all of the sudden their dipstick won't stay in because there is a hole in the piston. I am going at this slow and doing my research.
    Last edited by dscholz; 07-23-2018 at 11:38 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by dscholz View Post
    Hey all, so I'm fairly new to this whole tuning thing. I've done a few Duramaxs without any major problems but now I'm trying to tune my 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 with a 5.9 Cummins in it. The Cummins tuning is sorta different compared to the Duramax but I like a challenge. Well most of the time, this latest one is started to get to me. I need to know if I have found a bug in the HP Tuners software, if something is wrong with my MPVI2 or if something is wrong with my truck.

So here is the story:

I "read" the vehicle with VCM Editor and saved a stock file. After I had my stock saved I started to do a little messing around. I didn't want to get to crazy at first, only play with some settings and parameters as far as fan speed, idle speed, and the pto idle option. While I was in there I decided I was going to modify the torque limiting a little and a few of the main injection limits. Well one of the things I did was disabled the Boost Pressure Override option, thinking this give me more low end fueling. Well I made my changes and saved the file, and then plugged into my truck and hit "write"

VCM Editor said initializing and then failed, and the gauge cluster on my truck has the check engine light flashing and the trans temp light is on solid. I cycled the key and the same happened with the dash lights, tried to start engine and it just cranked. So I tried the write process again, this time it went through the initializing stage and the entire write process. Got to the end, cycled key and tried to start engine. Engine cranks and fires but starts loping and then dies after a few seconds. Every time I start it it will lope and die, if I push the throttle it does absolutely nothing. So I flashed the truck back to stock and it went fine, and starts and runs fine. So I decide it must be something in my tune that is causing this. I go through and check everything, keep in mind I haven't changed any timing, or fuel values, just injection limits and torque limit. I start tweaking my tune file back towards the stock one, one setting at a time and trying to flash to see what happens. Well every time I would remove something I changed and try and flash and it would fail initializing the first time and the write the second. But, it will do its lope and die fit if I try and start it. Flashing back to stock works on the first go every time and the truck runs fine. Finally the last thing I had to try and turn off was the Boost Pressure Override setting, so I re enabled it, saved the file and tried to write it. Got through the initializing process fine and wrote to the truck. I cycled key and it cranked right up and ran fine.

I have this problem if I disable the override or even if I just tweak the boost limit map.

So after hours of tweaking and reflashing I'm pretty darn sure I at least found what was causing the problem, but can anyone tell me what the problem is?

I'm very green to this tuning thing, just learning as I go, one reflash at a time. Is this just something I'm missing?

Thanks for any help, now off to do some more learning about this Cummins tuning. I work as a heavy truck mechanic for most of the hours of my life, and have rebuilt plenty of motors, I've seen what happens when someone decides they need to fuel or time to the moon and all of the sudden their dipstick won't stay in because there is a hole in the piston. I am going at this slow and doing my research.

Do not use this switch. You will have the same outcome of the truck starting and shutting off from an 03-07 as far as I know. If you do not want any fuel to boost limit just flat line the Boost Pressure Fuel Qty. Limiter A to 145mm+. I don't recommend doing that though. It will make the truck a smoky pig down low. Kinda like an Old School Smarty.

I had this issue of smoky pig because the professional tuner tuned with de boost fuel table bypassed....I the control and do my own tune.....without smoke!!
    03 cummins,175% flux injectors,dual cp3,s467.7/83 1.00
    Nv5600 with valair triple disc clutch