Thread: tuning 2017 up procees has changed

Tuner

tuning 2017 up procees has changed

looks like procedure has changed for access to 2017 up. I guess we no longer need to send the saved MPV details file via email and wait 24 hours for ecu read access, is this correct?
    looks like plug in try to read if not wait 30min then access will happen. am I reading this wrong. got 2 2018 to tune this week

Step 1: Download and install the latest VCM Suite 3.6 update available on your customer page
    Step 2: Connect the vehicle and read it.
    Step 3: IF you receive a message that the vehicle can't be read at this time and to try again. Please wait at least 30 minutes and then try to read the vehicle again using VCM Suite 3.6.
    Last edited by obd2; 07-24-2018 at 11:51 AM.

That is pretty much it. Just make sure that you have an internet connection first. Done several 2017s and a few 2018s, no problem.

Should be using 4.0... pull tune with internet connection should be able to license it immediately.. ever write you will need internet connection... so if street tuning have to go back to your internet connection to write a tune

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner
    cool thanks

I would not challenge anything Ben Charles says with his level of experience and knowledge....Maybe it is because I am using 3.7.1331 beta but the few 2017 and 2018s I have tuned the last few weeks have only required an internet connection when I first read the vehicles and waited about 30 minutes for clearance. After that I wrote many times without internet.

Is 4.0 giving clearance without the 30 minute wait but requiring an internet connection for writing?

Advanced Tuner
    Good idea to get a Hot Spot on your phone, if you haven't already.
    2009.5 PBM G8 GXP M6 W/Roof-Self tune, OBX LTs, Kooks axleback, LSA blower, cam,
    Monster LT1-SC clutch, flex fuel, 12 psi [email protected] 1,800 D.A
    2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons [email protected], 1,900 D.A
    1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback 12.8@104, 4,200ft D.A

Quote Originally Posted by IARLLC View Post
    I would not challenge anything Ben Charles says with his level of experience and knowledge....Maybe it is because I am using 3.7.1331 beta but the few 2017 and 2018s I have tuned the last few weeks have only required an internet connection when I first read the vehicles and waited about 30 minutes for clearance. After that I wrote many times without internet.

Is 4.0 giving clearance without the 30 minute wait but requiring an internet connection for writing?
    you only need internet for a 17+ ECM to initially read, after that you can write without a connection.

for GM 8 speeds and Ford/GM 10 speeds you need an internet connection to write every time.

Thanks for that answer Higgs. Do the 17+ TCMs still have to be sent in for unlocking?

I would love to work on their trans calibrations but they are not willing to wait while they are sent back and forth. Maybe we buy extra TCMs, set up the VIN/factory flash and send them in to HPTuners to be unlocked. These guys might go for that if it is their only option. Money is no issue for them but being without their rigs is.

yes the tcm's have to be sent in.

Tuner
    done 3 2018 last week. first took about 30 min for access the other 2 was less than 15 min. so happy they made it simple. hated sending those info logs and waiting 24 hours for access. furthermore can't remember last time I have used efilive. Hp tuners has become my tool of choice since the introduction of virtual ve years ago
    Cheers

Advanced Tuner
    Would this be possible to buy a spare ecm then ship it to hptuners and have them set it up to your vin as well as unlock it??

I have all the GM dealer equipment for initial set-up, VIN, updates, diag, etc....but your idea sure seems like a benefit to those that have no reason to have all the equipment. I have not heard of them doing that. Maybe...

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
    Would this be possible to buy a spare ecm then ship it to hptuners and have them set it up to your vin as well as unlock it??

you can clone your ecu with MD2 with SPI gm access. done a few with no issues

Yeah, I do that from time to time. GM just changed their system though. Now instead of unlimited updates for 2 days for $60 plus tax you get 2 years with 1 VIN for $40 plus tax. For people who just want to take care of their own car the new way seems nice but for guys that take care of large fleets....things just got more interesting.

I was trying to download a 2018 C7 last month with 3.6 and it wasn't working. I needed to run 4.X for it to download.........and be hooked to the internet.

Did an 18 zl1 last week! Mentioned 15 min after initial read (with internet) 15 min later I could pull tune and mod it without internet, including several writes

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Should be using 4.0... pull tune with internet connection should be able to license it immediately.. ever write you will need internet connection... so if street tuning have to go back to your internet connection to write a tune
    Is this with the new MPV2 device? I have the old MPV setup and can write tunes to my Vette just fine while out logging on the road. Using 4.0 beta

Doh.. nevermind.. was an old reply.. mine is A8 though and have no issues without Internet connection
    Last edited by Poppacapp; 09-07-2018 at 12:32 AM.